Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do the California Special Window scoops have the black grill in front & rear openings? And are they pre- installed?
The scoops that American Muscle sells have plastic grills that have to be cut and folded and seem kind of hokey.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Do the California Special Window scoops have the black grill in front & rear openings? And are they pre- installed?
The scoops that American Muscle sells have plastic grills that have to be cut and folded and seem kind of hokey.
I am not real familiar with the CS cars, but from what I have seen, I don't remember Ford blocking the vision on the CS coupes by factory installing the rear 1/4 windows with scoops, so any "scoop adds" to this area would be aftermarket to a CS. <<If I am correct?

As for "open", most scoops I have seen are not, this would only allow dirt, water and debris to collect behind/inside the scoop plus it would allow air to flow through instead of over the scoop and I would guess that accelerated air flow getting behind the scoop could definitely tear it off the car, especially if the front area opening is smaller than the rear opening.

R

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Years ago, when I still had the Shelby installed 1/4 window scoops on my 2008 Super Snake, I REALLY had a hard time with the look of a "plastic triangles" mounted on the side of my car. From the front they had the same honey comb insert like the Shelby installed lower scoops, but from the rear they "SCREAMED FAKE". I spent a Saturday morning bettering the look somewhat by at least making the appearance of functional, this is what I came up with...........

SCREAMING FAKE!!!!!............

With a little measuring a calculated cutting, a small piece of Matte/Flat finish Black vinyl turns what looked not functional to functional in appearance.......

^^^^That small piece of vinyl on the rear inset of each scoop completely changed the look from the rear and side angles of those scoops and now they appear functional, even when they are not.

In the end I removed my original upper scoops and changed to the "other option", that was on the Super Snake order sheet, the 1/4 window block-off plates........I like them better for now.....

R

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Years ago, when I still had the Shelby installed 1/4 window scoops on my 2008 Super Snake, I REALLY had a hard time with the look of a "plastic triangles" mounted on the side of my car. From the front they had the same honey comb insert like the Shelby installed lower scoops, but from the rear they "SCREAMED FAKE". I spent a Saturday morning bettering the look somewhat by at least making the appearance of functional, this is what I came up with...........

With a little measuring a calculated cutting, a small piece of Matte/Flat finish Black vinyl turns what looked not functional to functional in appearance.......

^^^^That small piece of vinyl on the rear inset of each scoop completely changed the look from the rear and side angles of those scoops and now they appear functional, even when they are not.

In the end I removed my original upper scoops and changed to the "other option", that was on the Super Snake order sheet, the 1/4 window block-off plates........I like them better for now.....

R

LOL!

The Window Scoops are no more "SCREAMING FAKE!!!!!............" than the Side Scoops, that also do nothing.

I prefer the window scoops to the black things as the red scoops do not interupt the lines of the car with the Black and the window scoops are a nice ode to the Original 67 and 68 GT500 that had them.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

No Window Scoops from FoMoCo came on the California Special.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
LOL!

The Window Scoops are no more "SCREAMING FAKE!!!!!............" than the Side Scoops, that also do nothing.

I prefer the window scoops to the black things as the red scoops do not interupt the lines of the car with the Black and the window scoops are a nice ode to the Original 67 and 68 GT500 that had them.
^Yes, I agree there also. I think the Block-off plates were something Shelby brought into the Super Snake from the GT350R world, the "SHELBY" logo in the lower corner is kind of cool. From a distance, the block -off plates just appear to be oem and look like the tinted glass 1/4 window....They were also available in natural alum. color, I have a NOS pair of them also, but I would never install them on my car.

In the end, yes, no functionality at all other than a look. In reality, "back in the day" Shelby GT500's had scoops.......Mustang GT's did not, so it is a harkening back to that retro Shelby GT500 look I guess without Ford or Shelby having to worry about cutting holes in the new cars or worrying about rain leaks for rear brake cooling (lower scoops) or passenger compartment draw through air add (upper side scoops) functionality. <<<But some of those upper scoop look hideous! and I have also seen some lower scoops that don't quite look right, as the body lines go.

R

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
164 Posts
Kind of like the way they look. But boy I hate to take ribbing from my buddies with the Boy Racer look.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Kind of like the way they look. But boy I hate to take ribbing from my buddies with the Boy Racer look.
Do your mods for YOU! If you like it, do it. Who cares what they think.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yes to the reply above......................and since scoops (upper and lower) are a "Shelby thing" and have been since Shelby originally build Shelby Mustangs, I don't know how they could be considered anything but "Shelby".....

R

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
164 Posts
I agree but they were functional back then. The 68s side scoops were not.
They do look great though.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I agree but they were functional back then. The 68s side scoops were not.
They do look great though.
I agree about the functionality back then, but now it is "the look", and in realty, the modern creature comfort passenger cabin would only be degraded by trying to duct air through the upper scoops for additional cabin air flow, and adding rear brake cooling to the modern disc brake GT500 with functional lower scoops............but there are also rear brake ducts that do not require cutting behind the door for scoops, if that additional rear brake cooling is needed.

I always think of the beginning...............Shelby GT500 Mustangs had scoops, Mustang GT's did not.....but that was a loooong time ago.

R

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
164 Posts
The
I am not real familiar with the CS cars, but from what I have seen, I don't remember Ford blocking the vision on the CS coupes by factory installing the rear 1/4 windows with scoops, so any "scoop adds" to this area would be aftermarket to a CS. <<If I am correct?

As for "open", most scoops I have seen are not, this would only allow dirt, water and debris to collect behind/inside the scoop plus it would allow air to flow through instead of over the scoop and I would guess that accelerated air flow getting behind the scoop could definitely tear it off the car, especially if the front area opening is smaller than the rear opening.

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
164 Posts
Agreed. I just bought the low side scoops for my vert. Really struggled as I am not the glue on scoop type.
Guess I can always take them off later on if iij change my mind.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts