Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GT-500, Vapor
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add something like the CS side scoops on my 2008 GT500. To me, the side view looks kinda plain. I have read some bad reviews about how the American muscle side scoops fit to the body. I have also heard of owners having scoops fly off at high speed. As an owner of a GT500, I dont want to do anything that would "cheapen" the looks or value of the car. Any thoughts on which mods you would and would not do?
Thanks, fellow terra pilots!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,727 Posts
I had the Ford California Special side scoops on my 2007, 2011, and 2013 GT500's. All were installed by yours truly. I never had a bit of a problem with fitment or attachment issues on any of my vehicles. I have the same on my current 2019 GT350. Same result. A Shelby without the side scoops is, for me, lacking in a respectful nod toward the 1966 GT350! So with that said, go buy them, albeit they are expensive. The current ones now come pre-painted in the color of your car.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,881 Posts
Just be sure to prep the area that you’ll stick them to. Clean it well to get the oils off and then use rubbing alcohol. I am assuming the scoops come with rubbing alcohol wipes.

If someone’s scoops came off, it’s due to improper prep and application.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
2008 GT-500, Vapor
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the factory CS units, actually have a bolt to hold them on. Drilling a hole would be worth it, if these are permanent

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I understand the factory CS units, actually have a bolt to hold them on. Drilling a hole would be worth it, if these are permanent
LOL!

You do not want to drill holes in your car.

My CS side scoops have been on for 11 years (I'm the original owner) with the 3M Double Sided Tape.

FYI: Shelby also used the Ford OEM CS Scoops on the 07-09 Super?Snakes.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,881 Posts
LOL!

You do not want to drill holes in your car.

My CS side scoops have been on for 11 years (I'm the original owner) with the 3M Double Sided Tape.

FYI: Shelby also used the Ford OEM CS Scoops on the 07-09 Super?Snakes.
I agree... don’t drill unnecessary holes in your car.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,519 Posts
No holes! Like stated, clean with alcohol, and mine came with an adhesive promoter on a small spongy square. I've never had 3M tape come loose, but I the instructions said to use the adhesive promoter...so I did! No side scoops flying off my car please! They've stayed put for at least 5 years. Can't remember what year I installed them. Only nervous part of the install was measuring, measuring, measuring, and figuring out the location so I didn't face having to pull them off and reinstall them.

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
I'm agreeing w/ the others -- clean surface and 3M tape (da bomb) and you'll be good to go. (y) In fact, you'll be cursing the day you ever used 3M tape if you ever decide you want to take them off. ;) That stuff WORKS! (y)(y)(y)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,727 Posts
The Ford scoops come with the surface preparation cleaners and the two sided tape is already on the scoops. Just peel and place. There's no instruction or need for drilling holes. As KodiakMustang said, measure and check to assure proper alignment. It's not difficult and adds a lot to the image.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,727 Posts
there ARE instructions included w the oem CS side scoops that DO include drilling info as well as a template for where to drill.

that said, if you do that or just rely on the double sided tape is your call.
I never saw that hole drilling guidance on my past four California Special Ford side scoops that I've purchased through my dealers parts department. Are the ones you're referring to directly from Ford Motor Company? I just looked at your attachment and it sure is a FMC instruction sheet. It does show it's for a 2006 so I'm wondering if there was a change since my first use of them was the 2007.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 convertible
197 Posts
I never saw that hole drilling guidance on my past four California Special Ford side scoops that I've purchased through my dealers parts department. Are the ones you're referring to directly from Ford Motor Company? I just looked at your attachment and it sure is a FMC instruction sheet. It does show it's for a 2006 so I'm wondering if there was a change since my first use of them was the 2007.
here are a few links I found on the quick that show some close-ups and the stock hardware:

·
Registered
2011 GT500
58 Posts
As everyone has said, clean real well and you will be fine. I have not done this to my Shelby yet. . But I did however have them on my 5.0.

·
Registered
2008 GT-500, Vapor
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the original ford part number, they had some type of bolt installed, plus i would assume, these would fit the body profile perfectly. Running a shelby at 150+ mph.... would be bad if my scoops blew off

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I found the original ford part number, they had some type of bolt installed, plus i would assume, these would fit the body profile perfectly. Running a shelby at 150+ mph.... would be bad if my scoops blew off

They stay on in Track Conditions at 150 MPH with the Tape.

Even if they did blow off, it’d be better than 2 holes in the Rear Quarter Panels of your Shelby. ?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Since 2007 when the first Super Snakes were built with standard lower scoops behind the doors and optional upper scoops behind the door windows (sail panel), I have not heard any owners complain about Shelby installed scoops blowing off over on Team Shelby in either the 2007-2012 Super Snake forum or the 2013/14 Super Snake forum......FWIW.

R

1 - 20 of 41 Posts