Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Silver / Kona stripes
10 Posts
Great video on installing the CFTP springs, upper front camber plate and rear sway bar. Ill be updating my base model to include the CFTP struts front and rear shocks. Before installing the dampers ill be dynoing the dampers. On the GT350 and the GT350R the dampers had a completely different curve. Ill post dyno curves here and a overlay as well. On the GT350 I use the DSCsport controller to tune for the different in force wheel rate and tire choice. I have been base lining at the local track here. Summit Point , I use VIR as well. If the dampers and improved spring rate and lower CG are anything like the GT350R I expect the change to be more than substantial.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
54 Posts
Great video on installing the CFTP springs, upper front camber plate and rear sway bar. Ill be updating my base model to include the CFTP struts front and rear shocks. Before installing the dampers ill be dynoing the dampers. On the GT350 and the GT350R the dampers had a completely different curve. Ill post dyno curves here and a overlay as well. On the GT350 I use the DSCsport controller to tune for the different in force wheel rate and tire choice. I have been base lining at the local track here. Summit Point , I use VIR as well. If the dampers and improved spring rate and lower CG are anything like the GT350R I expect the change to be more than substantial.
Looking forward to your report then as I’d like to lower my base just ever so slightly without screwing up the magnaride sampling.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT500 - Handling Package, Technology Package, Recaros, Forgeline
36 Posts
Great video on installing the CFTP springs, upper front camber plate and rear sway bar. Ill be updating my base model to include the CFTP struts front and rear shocks. Before installing the dampers ill be dynoing the dampers. On the GT350 and the GT350R the dampers had a completely different curve.
Wait, so do the CFTP cars have completely different shocks than the base, or same shocks but different programming?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wait, so do the CFTP cars have completely different shocks than the base, or same shocks but different programming?
Same shocks with different magneride programming from my understanding.

Reactions: DKnight

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Yes the part number for the CFTP is different. Same for the GT350 and the GT350R on the GT350R the change was 20mm shorter and completely different valving completely (amazing like a true performance damper the gt350 was almost the same as all the gm cars Ford puts alot of engineering might into these cars.) ill try to dyno the GT500 CFTP today and when i swap out my base shocks ill dyno those and compare as well I can measure the springs front and rear to compare just from looking at the CFTP rear springs its gonna be big.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes the part number for the CFTP is different. Same for the GT350 and the GT350R on the GT350R the change was 20mm shorter and completely different valving completely (amazing like a true performance damper the gt350 was almost the same as all the gm cars Ford puts alot of engineering might into these cars.) ill try to dyno the GT500 CFTP today and when i swap out my base shocks ill dyno those and compare as well I can measure the springs front and rear to compare just from looking at the CFTP rear springs its gonna be big.
Thanks for teaching me something today! 🍻

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a great piece of data, thank you! Can you share the part number for the CFTP shocks and the price? I'm guessing it will be expensive to convert a base car to CFTP suspension all around.

EDIT: One thing that just occurred to me. The part numbers could be different just due to the Magneride programming being different only. Would be good to confirm what exactly is different.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
The part numbers Ive found have been for significant changes due to the extreme performance of the CFTP
This is what ive found:
Suspension parts to convert To CFTP
Sway bar KR3Z5A772A bushing (2) KR3Z5493A
Upper strut mount (2) KR3Z3A197C
Frt shock (2) KR3Z18124B / rr shock (2) KR3Z18125D
Frt spring KR3Z-5310B / Rear spring (1) KR3Z-5560-H (1) KR3Z-5560-B
Ill be tunning these with the DSCsport controller to gain full use of the shock valving using DSC use of velocity tuning and their algorithm. My goal is to equal or exceed the performance on the track but yet retain the drivability of my base model there may be some compromise do to spring rate both main and rear bar but it is a heavy car so it may be very possible. Ive been blown away by the performance out of the box of the base on track and street but I would like to have the extreme performance in the chassis of the CFTP with the ride of the base model. Ill keep you up to speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The part numbers Ive found have been for significant changes due to the extreme performance of the CFTP
This is what ive found:
Suspension parts to convert To CFTP
Sway bar KR3Z5A772A bushing (2) KR3Z5493A
Upper strut mount (2) KR3Z3A197C
Frt shock (2) KR3Z18124B / rr shock (2) KR3Z18125D
Frt spring KR3Z-5310B / Rear spring (1) KR3Z-5560-H (1) KR3Z-5560-B
Ill be tunning these with the DSCsport controller to gain full use of the shock valving using DSC use of velocity tuning and their algorithm. My goal is to equal or exceed the performance on the track but yet retain the drivability of my base model there may be some compromise do to spring rate both main and rear bar but it is a heavy car so it may be very possible. Ive been blown away by the performance out of the box of the base on track and street but I would like to have the extreme performance in the chassis of the CFTP with the ride of the base model. Ill keep you up to speed.
Ok, so putting this all together. Here are the prices for all these parts you list

1. Sway Bar KR3Z5A772A - $88 KR3Z5A772A - Ford Bar - rear stabilizer | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
2. Sway Bar Busing KR3Z5493A - $16 per KR3Z-5493-A - Genuine Ford INSULATOR ASY
3. Front Shock KR3Z18124B - $330 per, but not sure this is the right shock, but it's what came up multiple times on search Strut - Suspension KR3Z-18124-B | Ford Part OEM
4. Rear Shock KR3Z18125D - $412 per KR3Z18125D - Ford Shock Absorber. Damping, Control, Magnetic | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL
5. All Springs - $482 per 2020+ GT500 OEM Carbon Fiber Track Pack Magneride Springs (Set of 4)
6. Adjustable Strut Mounts are ~$450 if i remember correctly if you consider that part of the conversion package

So, adding that all together, $2086 ($2536 if you include adjustable strut mounts) + tax, installation, and calibration. Not bad for a full suspension swap including sways. Buying aftermarket coilovers would easily cost double this or more.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I believe the magneride programing is in a separate module, not the strut/shock itself.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Goose the programming for sure is in the controller but the shock itself will more than likely have completely different valving. the valving is done on the actual piston in the damper. The CFTP is a really well developed chassis so would not surprise me if it is special as well.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Dyno testing force/velocity at 5 current levels showing the complete range of the CFTP shocks front and rear as pictured. the solid line is rear shock the dash line is the front shock.
the shock curves are way different than most mag shocks I've tested . Low speed (0-2"\sec) range is what the tire responds to and the driver feels on initial turn in and corner exit .
High speed is typically 6-10"\sec. the front damper curve allows good front grip and the rear has lots of rebound high speed (lower curve) allows big entry and exit speed to the corner.
Velocity tuning later will yield improved results based on available range. next ill do the full install Im going to try and get time to test the front and rear springs.
Note the lowest force range allows great ride and the higher forces allow race car grip. Ill dyno my base model shocks when i do the swap.
GT500 Front_Rear CFTP.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
54 Posts
The CFTP springs can be found cheaper than what Lethal offers. This is good info though! I’m only looking to lower my ride height just a tad to close up that wheel gap but not lose the excellent handling characteristics.

edit: if you call a Ford parts counter with the VINs of base and CFTP models you’ll quickly find out the correct strut part numbers and if they are indeed different.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I believe the magneride programing is in a separate module, not the strut/shock itself.
Goose Im looking at the upper CFTP strut mount Ford parts has only one part number listed KR3Z-3A197-C on the part a label says passenger side its obvious that they cannot be the same as you would have different caster from side to side if you did use the same part number on both sides. how do I find the correct drivers side upper mount part number ?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Goose Im looking at the upper CFTP strut mount Ford parts has only one part number listed KR3Z-3A197-C on the part a label says passenger side its obvious that they cannot be the same as you would have different caster from side to side if you did use the same part number on both sides. how do I find the correct drivers side upper mount part number ?
Just went and rewatched that portion of my PDI video. It looks like both rear shocks have the same number on them. Skip to 18:00 to see for yourself:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Just went and rewatched that portion of my PDI video. It looks like both rear shocks have the same number on them. Skip to 18:00 to see for yourself:

what im trying to find is the front camber plate part numbers there is a right and left. ford parts only list one

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
what im trying to find is the front camber plate part numbers there is a right and left. ford parts only list one
Same video, skip to 8:20 and you’ll see the part numbers.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
88 Posts
Here are pictures of mine (still sitting in the box) w/ part numbers:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts