Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,426 Posts
I have had clunks, but their resolutions were never the upper per se. I think I had a shock that backed off a couple times and I did have some driveline noise that quieted down after adjusting the driveshaft angle. Changing the bushing on the top of the rear axle helped with that too. Here's the deal with the UCA. Lots of guys use the factory bracket, but the hole in the factory bracket is oversized. If it's not torqued to spec it has a lot of room to move around. That doesn't appear to be your issue for the bracket, but you might want to check how bolt to see if it's tight. I've always tightened mine on the ground before installing because it's almost impossible to do it on the car, especially if you're using a torque wrench. The bushing on the other end of the UCA is pretty flimsy. Energy makes a poly bushing to replace it.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well my wife rode in the car with me a few times this weekend and she commented on the suspension. She complained about the bumps and the sounds (squeaks). Would it be insane to seek out stock shocks and springs and put them back on? I know you can get new shocks, but I would have to get a set of used springs (or is there something comparable with a softer and VERY limited drop)? Never ridden in a stock GT500, so can not compare. Was the stock system rather harsh too and a waste of time to even think about? Yeah I know it’s not a Caddy, but my somewhat modified 2005 GT I had rode very good compared to this one (never touched shocks and springs, but did LCAs on it. It’s hard to judge since someone already modified the suspension so much already. I am not using it as a race car, more of a fun daily.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay wow Catmonkey, you are not going to believe this. Finally got the car jacked up in the front. So the passenger side has an Eibach lowering spring and the driver side has the stock spring. What the heck is going on here? Both have the Eibach struts. Why would they even do that? Just crazy. I got excited when I thought the fronts were the stockers, but nope.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And that spring looks to be from a 2012 GT500. Very odd.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So it looks like the H&R sports are supposed to be very close to stock with just a little drop. I think you even mentioned those Catmonkey earlier. Maybe I should get a set of them and then throw on some stock shocks for now? Yeah just getting a new car and talking about spending money for parts makes the wife VERY happy. Lol She said it’s just my luck I get a car with mismatched springs 🙄

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,552 Posts
Sounds like a survey of exactly what you have in the suspension would be a good start. And yes, as @Catmonkey alluded, I am happy with my choice of springs, struts, and other suspension components.

Reactions: 08 GT500 NC

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah it took me a while Kodiak, but now I actually know what I am dealing with. Really didn’t expect what I found today. (3) springs are Eibach Pros, (1) 2012 GT500 and (4) Eibach pro shocks/struts. And to note I can see the shafts inside the struts as it looks like the boots are coming off. So they are probably shot.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,552 Posts
Well if you think those struts are shot, then no wonder your ride sucks! You can either go adjustable or not with the replacements. I suspect some go adjustable because they think they are a better shock because of the adjustment capability, but if you never adjust the shock, it's a waste. That's why I went with the Koni orange non-adjustable shocks. Unfortunately, you have to do something with your springs since you have a mixed bag on the car. That means you have the luxury of deciding what ride height you want, and then buy struts to match that height decision. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,426 Posts
That's weird. I suspect the driver's side was lower than the passenger side and that was their solution.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts