Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am still trying to sort out what the previous owner did to my new to me 2008. I have gathered that she has Blow By Racing LCAs, Eibach anti-sways, Adjustable panhard. I am thinking maybe I should go with the Ford Racing L springs. Then maybe the Koni yellows or would the FR shocks be a better choice? I don’t mind a semi firm ride, but nothing harsh and bouncy. Also the car has the usual engine mods so she has 550/550 at the rear wheels. I am not sure if that’s still the current recommendation for a good riding car but a little better performance.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,426 Posts
I had Koni sports (yellows) on my car in it's previous configuration. They were much better dampers than the stock SVTPP components, even with the OEM springs. Much better comfort too. I used Steeda's heavy duty strut mounts when I changed to the Koni's and I highly recommend them. They have some amount of camber adjustment which helps if you're lowering the car. There are more adjustable mounts if you're going for more than an inch of drop. The Steeda's use the rubber bushing from the stock mount, so it provides good ride comfort. For ride comfort, lower spring rates are preferable and bigger sway bars can go a long ways to compensate for better handling over stiff spring rates.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks catmonkey as that’s the kind of info I am looking for. I like the idea of a better ride even more so than stock. Seems like Koni yellows and the Steeda mounts are where it’s at. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just made the switch from stock SVTPP components to the Ford L spring and Koni sports. I concur with Catmonkey, it was a dramatic difference in handling and comfort. I wish I’d have made the switch sooner.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
The sports are single adjustable and you can dial them up or down based on your preference or needs.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all as that sounds great! I was starting to think my car was lowered,” and I am still scratching my head a little. Measuring from the front valance in the center I get 5 1/2 inches. From the side I get a little lower on the valance. I see stock is supposed to have 5 3/4 of ground clearance. Is that maybe measured on the side behind the wheel? I for sure do not want a real low car, but maybe a little wouldn’t hurt it. That’s why I liked the idea of the Ford Racing or Steeda springs to go with the Koni.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove it again this morning and the rear just seems a little bouncy at times when you go over bumps. Like the shocks are not keeping up if you go over multiple bumps in a row.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Sort of depends on what tires you're running too. The 2008 has shorter tires than a later car with 20s, But just looking at your avatar it does look lower than stock. But after 12 years, it may just be worn springs. Worn shocks can have you bouncing on bump stops too.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it’s very strange as the car looks lowered a little, but at first I thought it had the Eibach Pro Kit since everything is black, but nope I now think they are stock. Then again why would they put an adjustable panhard rod if not lowered? But you are right, maybe it just settled a little through the years. She has 28k miles so figured they should be okay, but I may need to do some suspension changes in the near future to get things working together better. :)

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
You really can't go by spring color, but factory tags tend to stay on springs quite a while. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was like a little crack head outside trying to get my phone around the wheel to take a pic of the numbers on the shocks. All I can see is an 8 and a single line going around the outside of the sticker. I saw the Eibach pro kit and it looked just like those stickers with the line. I guess I will have to just jack it up and take a wheel off to get a final answer. Lol

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Ford springs will have a sticker type tag. You won't see any stamped or painted numbers on the springs. If you see something like that, they're likely aftermarket.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will update this post once I get it up in the air. It has 3.73s in it and it has a little whine from about 40mph on up. Going to try 2 quarts of 75-140 Royal Purple and friction modifier to see if it helps any. Start with the cheapest option :)

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright so, first off it looks like someone already beat me to the Royal Purple. I changed it anyways not knowing the weight. And I also found I do in fact have the Eibach Pro type springs and shocks. I was able to see better once the car was jacked up and didn’t have to take a tire off. So now that leaves me with what options? Would like a smoother less choppy ride (again more daily/fun car). I am also not a fan of how much it lowers the car at about 1.5” supposedly, but not sure how I am still seeing 5.5 inches clearance under the front lower valance? Bad pics I know, but I found this kit on Lethal Performance and everything matches up to all these parts. Thanks! Eibach 07-2010 Shelby GT500 Pro-System-Plus Kit (Adjustable)

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
I don't know much about that system, but with that sort of drop, I would expect some pretty high spring rates. I think switching to something like either Steeda's or H&R's sport springs would still lower the car, just not as much. Both spring sets have pretty comfortable spring rates. If the struts and shocks are adjustable, you might experiment with the adjustment settings.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks catmonkey as you have been very helpful. I really am leaning towards the Steeda sports and maybe some KONI’s like we talked about earlier. I read people love the Koni Str.t on the GTs, but do not see anything much on the GT500 boards about people using them. I don’t think the Eibach Pros have adjustment on them. I am wondering could this upper mount be causing some harshness? I can’t tell if that’s poly or not.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ironically I just found out that it looks like this Metco Upper Arm and it’s made with Delrin bushings.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Poly does have a slight amount of harshness and transmits a little more noise over rubber, but I'd swap that out as a last resort. Generally, unless you're looking for a very plush ride, poly adds a nice increase in control over rubber. I find the trade off more than acceptable. The first upper control arms I had was Metco. I'd probably try the softer springs with the Eibach struts and shocks before going with the Koni's. Although adjustability has it's virtues. Koni has a cheaper non-adjustable shock that sort of like the sports on the lightest settings too. Check with @KodiakMustang. He has the H&R sport springs with the orange Koni's.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome and I totally agree with you. I would be afraid to take out the firmer upper as that is probably part of the package that takes some of the hop and helps with traction. I do get a random clunk ever so rarely but it does occur at times. Excellent points and I think I will try initially what you said. Get the Steeda springs and try those with the Eibach shocks. Assuming I should also get the $250 Steeda HD mounts like you said too? Probably a big YES. Lol Thanks again!

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also Catmonkey, I took if for another drive today and I had the clunk happen a few times. Seems to be pointing towards driveshaft play. I noticed in an old post you were dealing with a similar issue. Did you ever resolve it? I see people pointing at the UCA as well that could be causing this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts