Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Bullitt 2017 GT350 2020 GT500
124 Posts
Thanks, Tom! Oh, great, that's all I need! As if the Track Attack wasn't enough, to get to drive your GT500 -- hell, I might as well start the process of liquidating the kids college funds and building a cot in the garage where I can live during the winter!

Seriously, that is very gracious of you, Tom, and I would love to take you up on that in the hopefully not too distant future. There are some car shows on the southside that I've been wanting to go to so that's an option. Plus, there's Caffeine & Octane. Also, we could do a north Georgia or Tail of the Dragon run at some point. Lots of options!
Hell yea !! Let Me know so I can bid it off!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was great meeting TomLake, Goose17, and fletchffletch this week. No one should skip this opportunity to see what these cars have to offer. You get to drive them as hard as you feel comfortable doing. After you feel like you got all you could get out of it, then the pro takes you out with him and shows you how much more there is to it. Awesome experience with great people!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It was great meeting TomLake, Goose17, and fletchffletch this week. No one should skip this opportunity to see what these cars have to offer. You get to drive them as hard as you feel comfortable doing. After you feel like you got all you could get out of it, then the pro takes you out with him and shows you how much more there is to it. Awesome experience with great people!
Glad you found us Jon! There are a lot of awesome action shots on the USB that you need to see! What an amazing day! 🤟

·
Super Moderator
5,420 Posts
Hey Jon! Welcome aboard, sir. Fantastic meeting you and watching you put the hammer down!

·
Premium Member
2019 Bullitt 2017 GT350 2020 GT500
124 Posts
Back at you Jon! It was a GREAT DAY!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I attended the GT500 Track Tour in Charlotte which I believe is similar to the Track Attack. As already mentioned by Tim, Tom and Kris, it was a great event. The cars are Beasts and a blast to drive around the road course. I missed out on the Drag strip portion as there had been an accident (Tim's residue?) and our group was delayed, so I bailed out early for the airport to get home before dark. Being a three pedal guy, I was most impressed with the dual clutch trans. The downshifting when braking heavily certainly seemed "manual-like". Spent a few minutes talking with Gary Patterson with Shelby who described the tranny as a manual trans that shifts by computer. Not that I can do justice to his explanation when showing me the trans cutaway, but he pointed out two distinctly different shafts, each driving a set of gears, one even numbered, the other odd numbered. When in a specific gear, the computer anticipates the next gear, whether up-shifting or downshifting and presets it in motion, so when the shift occurs, its instantaneous. Pretty slick!
Walter

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I attended the GT500 Track Tour in Charlotte which I believe is similar to the Track Attack. As already mentioned by Tim, Tom and Kris, it was a great event. The cars are Beasts and a blast to drive around the road course. I missed out on the Drag strip portion as there had been an accident (Tim's residue?) and our group was delayed, so I bailed out early for the airport to get home before dark. Being a three pedal guy, I was most impressed with the dual clutch trans. The downshifting when braking heavily certainly seemed "manual-like". Spent a few minutes talking with Gary Patterson with Shelby who described the tranny as a manual trans that shifts by computer. Not that I can do justice to his explanation when showing me the trans cutaway, but he pointed out two distinctly different shafts, each driving a set of gears, one even numbered, the other odd numbered. When in a specific gear, the computer anticipates the next gear, whether up-shifting or downshifting and presets it in motion, so when the shift occurs, its instantaneous. Pretty slick!
Walter
The owner's Track Attack and the enthusiasts' Track Tour are similar, but different. The Attack includes classroom followed by many passes down the drag strip with you being the only occupant in the car. I did 15 passes this last go-around. The Tour skips the lessons and now with Covid, you aren't allowed to drive the cars down the strip. You are put in the right seat and shown what the cars can do in a drag race setting. This is different from when I did the Tour a year ago. We drove the cars with an instructor in the right seat and each got three passes.. For the road course, the difference is the Tour uses CFTP cars whereas the Attack uses base handling package cars. You spend considerable more time on the track with the Attack while getting coached... we did four 20 minute-ish sessions. At the Tour, I did one session for maybe four laps or so.

Another big benefit of the Track Tour is you don't have to buy a 2020 GT500 to attend!

Regarding the transmission... it truly is amazing! It is the key ingredient that makes this car a super car.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All of the cars we drove on the road course were CFTP. The ones used on drag strip were base cars.
Yes, that is what they do at all of the Track Tours. The Ford Performance Racing School has all base cars with handling packages though, so when you go for the Track Attack, it’s all base cars, including on the road course.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts