Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haver a little problem with my car, not the Shelby but my 96 Cobra. The other day I noticed that the needle of the voltage meter was flickering a little bit and as the days went it got worse. It seemed like my alternator was bad so I ordered a new one and swap it out but no luck, I figured it might just be a bad unit so I exchanged it for another but nothing. I am thinking that a wire is grounding out somewhere but I really don't want to start testing cables. Any thoughts from anyone???? :confused: I figured that being a Mustang forum and plenty of you guys have had these cars someone might have gotten this problem before

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hmmmm. That's a tough one. Variable voltage really sounds like a short. Those are never fun to track down. Sounds like you are going to have pour yourself a pot of beer and get in some quality time with your volt meter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Possibly a loose ground?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would check your voltage regulator.:)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Possibly a loose ground?

I'm with Sherri on this one.I would check all your connections before you start replacing parts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ok This Is True For Any Car With A Battery. Any Time You See Guages Acting Up Or Lights Coming On When They Are Not Supposed To It Is A Bad Gound Cable On The Battery. It Could Be Loose Or Corroded Or Not Big Enough. Best To Just Change Out The Ground Cable And Make Sure Everything Is Tight And Clean. Some Times There Will Be Corrosion Inside The Plastic Coating On The Cable And You Cannot See It. But You Can Feel It. Flex The Cable By Hand. Should Not Be Crunchy

·
Registered
933 Posts
wylie,

Since this thread is almost 1 year old, I'll make the assumption that he's resolved this issue.

Also, what's with putting capitol letters on every word? Wouldn't it be easier to type normally? Or is it some default setup that you have opted for? It's not very internet etiquette friendly. JMO

Arbour88

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Arbour88 I fixed the problem, it turned out to be a bad wire going from the battery to the alternator. Like most electrical problems it was an easy fix just a pain to find

1 - 9 of 9 Posts