·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks everyone. That makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 GT350R
242 Posts
Speaking of Maverick, it's coming back as a compact pickup. Probably in a couple more years. Perhaps Shelby will build a Shelby edition with a snake on it!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #944
Cobra! Cobra! Cobra! Everything is a Cobra!

Saw this surfing eBay tonight.🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2009 gt500 vmp gen3, 2020 gt500 magnetic, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
326 Posts
Must be a rare gem there. I was under the impression they didn’t make a cobra in 1989 lol. Svt didn’t start until 93 and Shelby was working for dodge I was thinking.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Were they still calling the GT Mustangs "Cobra" in Canada in 1989? It could be a Canadian market car.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 vmp gen3, 2020 gt500 magnetic, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
326 Posts
Didn’t know they were called that in Canada. Learn something new everyday lol. I thought they stopped using the name after 1979 until 1993 but that’s just me thinking not knowing lol

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Didn’t know they were called that in Canada. Learn something new everyday lol. I thought they stopped using the name after 1979 until 1993 but that’s just me thinking not knowing lol
Actually, here in the U.S., the "Cobra" appearance package was available 1979-1981. 1982-1992 was the hiatus for the name in the U.S. market.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
^^^Yes, over the years there were Cobra's that were specific models of Mustangs and then there were also Cobra "Appearance Packages" that were optional on Mustangs depending upon the year......

The Appearance Packages were mainly in the era of "Sticker and Spoiler" performance.......

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #950
Were they still calling the GT Mustangs "Cobra" in Canada in 1989? It could be a Canadian market car.
While there is validity here boss, this is an American car being sold by an American dealer in Colorado... they salesman that wrote the ad is “Cobra-happy!”

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
While there is validity here boss, this is an American car being sold by an American dealer in Colorado... they salesman that wrote the ad is “Cobra-happy!”
..........and were the Canadian Mustang Cobra's labeled "COBRA" through those later years, did they still retain the late 1970's/early 1980's U.S. sold Cobra stickers and decals?...............IDK, just asking?

Of course this Mustang could have been sold in Canada decades ago and is now at a Colorado dealership........but from what I see in the pictures, I see nothing "Cobra"......

R

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #952
..........and were the Canadian Mustang Cobra's labeled "COBRA" through those later years, did they still retain the late 1970's/early 1980's U.S. sold Cobra stickers and decals?...............IDK, just asking?

Of course this Mustang could have been sold in Canada decades ago and is now at a Colorado dealership........but from what I see in the pictures, I see nothing "Cobra"......

R
I don’t know Robert. I just see the “Cobra” name thrown around all over, including eBay. You see regular Mustang GTs referred to as “Cobras” often... and of course anything with a snake badge MUST be a Cobra! ;)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I don’t know Robert. I just see the “Cobra” name thrown around all over, including eBay. You see regular Mustang GTs referred to as “Cobras” often... and of course anything with a snake badge MUST be a Cobra! ;)
I see the same thing in the GT500 world, it seems like everything has "Super Snake" attached to it, I even see many GT500KR's (cars and/or parts) with "Super Snake" attached in the title description, but the interesting thing is......I rarely see "GT500KR" attached in something Super Snake unless it is a shared part.

I guess the Super Snake is the "Super Cobra"? or the "King of the Snake's"?........and yes, I have even seen MGT's with Super Snake attached to them.....

R

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Yeah, that was what I was suggesting, that (and it's a long-shot) the car may have been a Canadian that migrated down to Colorado at some point in its life.

But yes, the name Cobra really gets used loosely.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yeah, that was what I was suggesting, that (and it's a long-shot) the car may have been a Canadian that migrated down to Colorado at some point in its life.

But yes, the name Cobra really gets used loosely.
Did the Canadian Mustang/Cobra's keep all of the Cobra stickers and decals during the 1980's production? If they did, you would think that there would be more of them out there, for such a long period of production.......and maybe there are? I have not followed those cars....

R

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
My memory is that in the mid-80's, it was a vinyl "Cobra" decal on the deck lid. Don't know how long that lasted.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I can't find "Mustang" on my 08 Shelby. There is a pony on the windshield but no mention of Mustang on the vin. plate. Could it be from another planet?

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
976 Posts
I can't find "Mustang" on my 08 Shelby. There is a pony on the windshield but no mention of Mustang on the vin. plate. Could it be from another planet?
Funny story, when I called my insurance agent and told him I needed to add my 2013 Shelby GT500 to my policy. After I gave him the Vin number, he called me back and said the only thing he could find coming up was a Mustang. 😂

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #960
Welcome back Dwan!

941 - 960 of 975 Posts