Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 911 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
28,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have had this discussion here a few times, but there are some that still refuse to accept that their car has Cobra emblems, but is NOT a Cobra. The long-and-the-short of it is when you put the names "Shelby" and "Cobra" together, you are referring to a 2-seat roadster (there is one exception discussed below). This is different than a "Mustang Cobra" which reigned supreme at Ford, but ended in 2004. You can blame Ford though since they moved the Cobra emblem around to different cars and also used "Cobra" engines to further cloud the Cobra name.

Here is a compilation of info quoted from other sites plus pictures from my collection as well as from the internet.

So, here we go...

Carroll Shelby:

"Even before he started racing professionally and won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Carroll Shelby had a dream of building sports cars under his own name. But in early sixties, that dream seemed impossible. His health condition forced him to stop racing and his other business ventures didn’t look promising. But in 1961, he got the news that AC Cars from England would stop production of their AC Ace model since the Bristol six cylinder engines weren’t available anymore. True entrepreneur at heart, Shelby realized that the light and nimble British roadster could be a perfect match for a powerful American V8 engine and that this could be the chance of becoming a constructor, and not just a retired racing car driver. Very soon, he contacted AC Cars and they sent him an engine-less body to his shop in California. With some help from Ford Motor Company and a small team of mechanics, the first Shelby Cobra was introduced in 1962."

"The original Cobra 427 was made from 1965 to 1967 and in that period Shelby produced 348 copies."

GT350:

"This first version of the Shelby Mustang*featured the iconic Cobra emblem that supposedly appeared to Carroll Shelby in a dream. "I woke up and jotted the name down on a pad which I kept by my bedside — a sort of ideas pad — and went back to sleep," Shelby said, "Next morning when I looked at the name 'Cobra,' I knew it was right.""

"The 1965–1966 cars were the smallest and lightest of the GT 350 models. These cars are often called "Cobras", which was the Ford-powered AC-based two-seat sports car also produced by Shelby American during the same period. Both models use the Cobra emblem, similar paint scheme, and the optional "Cobra" valve covers on many GT350s that were part of a marketing tie-in by Shelby, as well as one of his iconic symbols. All 1965–66 cars featured the K-Code 271*hp (202*kW; 275*PS) 289*cu*in (4.7*L), modified to produce 306*hp (228*kW; 310*PS). Marketing literature referred to this engine as the "Cobra hi-riser" due to its high-riser intake manifold."

"For 1966, the GT 350 lost its Mustang tag and was marketed simply as the Shelby GT 350."

"For 1967, the G.T. 350 carried over the K-Code high performance 289 with a 'COBRA' aluminum hi-rise. The G.T. 500 was added to the lineup, equipped with a "Ford Cobra" V8 (FE Series 428 cu.in.) engine with two 600 CFM Holly four-barrel carburetors sitting atop a mid-rise Aluminum intake manifold."

The exception: Ford took over from Shelby in '68 and got a little excited with the Cobra name/marketing:

"For 1968, the Cobra name was applied to both models, and they were now marketed as the Shelby Cobra GT 350 and the Shelby Cobra GT 500."

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
28,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Your car is NOT a Cobra. Here's why:

The correction:

"The GTs lost their Cobra tag for 1969 and once again were marketed simply as Shelby GT 350 and Shelby GT 500."

Mustang Cobra:

"The Cobra name was first introduced in a Ford line back in 1962 with the Shelby Cobra models of fame and flair. These cars and the 1968 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet, a beast with 335 horsepower, helped establish the Cobra name as a powerhouse on the road.
The Cobra brand continued to show up in Ford cars through the 1970s, such as the 1973 Mustang Mach 1 that used a 428 cubic inch Cobra Jet V8 engine. One of the Mach 1s was used in the original “Gone in 60 Seconds” film in 1974."

"However, it wasn’t until Ford’s 1974 redesign of the Mustang line, called the Mustang II generation that Ford officially developed the Mustang Cobra.
The first Mustang Cobra arrived in 1976 and was named the Cobra II. This issue often caused confusion because there was no Cobra I.*
From its inception, the Cobra was a racing line that featured a hood scoop for dramatic effect and racing stripes, plus functional rear spoilers. The original Cobra was homage to the classic Shelby Mustangs. To help build the brand, the ’76 included a cobra emblem on its front fenders.
The ’77 and ’78 Cobras offered small style changes and slightly improved the engine, along with other options. The ’78 model was the “King Cobra” which included a large cobra decal on the hood with an optional V8. This helped the car boost Mustang’s popularity so that a new line could be introduced in ’79."

"In the 1990’s, the Cobra came back with a vengeance."

"Starting in 1993, Ford produced the Mustang SVT Cobra, a pony car built through Ford’s Special Vehicle Team division. This Cobra was designed to be a high-performance model in the range above the existing Mustang GT. The SVT Cobra stepped on the gas three times during its lifecycle with Cobra R variants. The SVT Cobras were crafted from 1993 to 2004.
Compared to other Ford Mustangs, the SVT Cobras were powerful beasts that came at a relatively limited quantity. They were produced for collectors as much as for racers. Some models even required the owner to have a racing license in order to purchase the car.
The first SVT Cobra made its debut at the 1992 Chicago Auto Show and was used to highlight the abilities of the SVT. While the outside was similar to the existing 1993 Mustang GT, the Cobra’s fangs were nestled squarely beneath the hood. Initial Cobra Mustang specs included an impressive V8 that could produce 235 horsepower and go from zero to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds. The suspension was upgraded and gave the 5,100 SVT Cobras a gentle ride even at high speeds.
To kick off its first year of a new Cobra, Ford also created an R model of the 1993 SVT Cobra. This racing variant only came in vibrant red, and focused on speed and power with improved breaks. It also featured a cooler for the engine, power steering and improved wheels.
Comfort wasn’t a factor as the car offered no air conditioning and no stereo. Plus, the $26,692 ride came without a warranty. Only 107 Cobra R’s (1993) were made.

My '93 SVT Cobra info:

After the initial success of its 1993 Cobra, Ford re-introduced the line in the middle of 1994 with a slightly more powerful engine, a wider wheelbase and a bumper upgrade with Cobra branding. The ’95 stood out with its special option of a removable hard top— a veritable convertible with an upgrade to hold the fiberglass top and reattach a dome light.
Both coupes and convertibles were available in ’94 and ’95, but the ’95 also had an R option with a 5.8 liter V8 and 300 horsepower. Again, the R option nixed fancy things like air conditioning, power windows and fog lights. Only 250 of these R models were made. Ford made 6,009 Cobra Mustangs in 1994 and dropped production to just 5,258 in 1995.
Design was a major feature for upgrades through the rest of the 90s. Ford dropped down to a smaller engine and added the now-classic air inlets on the hood. They also diversified paint colors. The 1996 Mystic Cobra used a paint that appeared to change color when viewed from different angles, ranging from greens and purples to a light gold. The proprietary paint requires several levels of verification before an owner can get it replaced or repainted.
The ’96 represented a big increase in Mustang production when 10,003 were created. When interested peaked in 1997, 10,049 were produced, but then fell to 8,654 in 1998."

"At the end of the decade, Ford pushed a new edge design for its line of Mustangs, including the SVT Cobra. Initially, this was mostly a body upgrade with little interior changes, though models through 2004 did feature a new suspension and fuel system.
The ’99 Cobra Mustang was actually only sold until August 6, 1999 when Ford recalled all 8,095 units sold. The Cobra wasn’t reaching the horsepower promised and led the SVT line to be halted until a 2001 return. While redesigning the ’99 SVT, Ford pushed ahead with its 2000 R model and created 300 cars with a 385 hp V8. 2001 returned with 7,251 cars.
The 2001 model was largely a fixed version of the 1999 with a few changes in the engine block and a series of cosmetic differences, such as the rear bumper saying “Cobra” instead of “Mustang.” A nice addition for the Cobras in the new millennium was an improved intake manifold and exhaust that allowed it to meet emission standards that were starting to pop up in the U.S.

My SVT Cobra R:

The 2002 Cobra is often viewed as the as the SVT that didn’t exist. Only 100 of the 2002 SVT Cobras were made and all of them were shipped and sold in Australia; although it offered few changes compared to the 2001. Since it was an Australian model, the steering wheel was moved to the right side of the car and the grill had an extra set of lights."

"The 2003 SVT Cobra was lovingly called “The Terminator” by the SVT team and the name stuck for the next series of models. Between the coupe and convertible, 13,476 models were made in 2003.
The ’03 came with a 390 hp engine that was surprising drivers and tearing up the streets. Later, testing actually found that the engine was putting out roughly 425 hp. Thankfully, the cast iron engine block and reinforced frame could handle the beast. The engines in the Terminator line were some of the most powerful engines Ford ever put in a car. They’re still some of the toughest engines made for a mainline automobile.

For the 10th anniversary of the SVT Cobra, Ford created a red-themed vehicle with a bold interior, leather inserts, and a unique blend of black, silver metallic and torch red models. Not to be outdone, the ’04 special edition launched a series of unique colors and brought back the shiny, shape-shifting color of the 1996 Mystic Cobra.
The 2004 was the last Cobra Mustang model as the SVT shifted to a new line of cars under the GT moniker. Ford ended its Mustang Cobra line with 5,664 cars in the 2004 production."

My 2004 "Terminator:"

"What About the Shelby?
Many of the great Shelby Mustangs, from the AC Cobra through the GT500 are grouped with Ford’s line of Cobras because they originated the Cobra badge later used in Mustang Cobras. However, the Mustang Cobra is considered a separate line that began with the Mustang II and had a very different design than Shelby models.
While the Shelby GT500 was designed in conjunction with the SVT, licensing remained separate, so the two cars still battle it out on the roads for who is the king of the snakes."

"The Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (also known as SVT Mustang Cobra, SVT Cobra, or simply as Cobra) is a muscle car/pony car model that was built in model years 1993 through 2004 by Ford Motor Company's Special Vehicle Team division (or SVT, for short). The SVT Cobra was a high-performance version of the Ford Mustang, considered as top-of-the-line as it was positioned above the Mustang GT and Mach 1 models during its era of production. On three occasions, the race-ready, street-legal SVT Cobra R variant was produced in limited numbers. The SVT Cobra was succeeded by the 2007 Shelby GT500. Although the GT500 was built by SVT and wears a Cobra emblem, it is not considered an SVT Cobra, as the car is licensed by Shelby and does not have "Cobra" in its model name or description."

2007+:

"Shelby and Ford returned for the 2007 model year with the Shelby GT500. Introduced at the 2005 New York International Auto Show, the GT500 uses a 5.4*L (330*CID) Modular 500*hp (370*kW) supercharged V8 engine. Features include the Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission, suspension tuning, a body kit, and 18*inch wheels.
Deliveries of the Shelby GT500 began in May 2006.[29]
A collaboration of Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) and Carroll Shelby, the GT500 was produced in limited quantity for three years (approximately 10,000 units per year) on the line at Ford's Flat Rock, Michigan (AutoAlliance) assembly facility."

My Shelby GT500:

So, it was a bit of a history lesson, but I enjoyed looking up the info. Sure, many car salesmen and ebay sellers of parts will call the car a "Shelby Cobra GT500", but as an enthusiast, I know better. When some dude at a car show or gas station yells: "NICE COBRA" when I'm out with my GT500, I just smile and tell them thanks!

Sources:

https://www.hemmings.com/users/672028/story/2094.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Mustang

https://blog.cjponyparts.com/2014/06/fords-mustang-cobra-history-american-ride/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SVT_Cobra

https://blog.cjponyparts.com/2014/07/history-shelby-mustang/

Another thread with this discussion continued:

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/5-general-discussion/185129-cobra-vs-gt500-9.html#post2640673

·
Premium Member
676 Posts

My GT500 is a Cobra.

Source: Me.
I'm sooooo confused..........all this time living a lie.....LOL....:argue: good write up, I have to explain this a lot myself.

·
Premium Member
7,521 Posts

My 2008 WAS A COBRA.... because it came with a special hat that confirmed that designation.....I thought we had already put this discussion to rest.....:shrug03:

(...and it was an "R" model to boot !!!) :lol: :lol:

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
28,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

My GT500 is a Cobra.

Source: Me.
Your response was actually funny! I got a good laugh out of "Source: Me." :rofl:

There are those that are unknowingly ignorant and those that choose to be ignorant. I cannot help those that choose it.

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts

These arguements exist on other forums as well. One example is the new Porsche 911 base model which is turbo charged. Yet most P car owners will call blasphemy on a base owner calls their car is a Porsche 911 Turbo. That is only associated with the 911 with bigger turbo's.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

These arguements exist on other forums as well. One example is the new Porsche 911 base model which is turbo charged. Yet most P car owners will call blasphemy on a base owner calls their car is a Porsche 911 Turbo. That is only associated with the 911 with bigger turbo's.
So if we had bigger snakes ours would be Cobra's???

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

I have always relied on documentation as a way to avoid confusion.
In the case of the 11, the window sticker under vehicle description, in large type, had SHELBY.
To the right side of this - 2011 Shelby GT500 Coupe.
The 14's window sticker, under vehicle description in large type, has SHELBY GT500.
Under this - 2014 Shelby GT500 Coupe.

·
#1 Mike!
8,780 Posts

I agree with Goose. I was a teenager during the time of the AC Cobra introduction when most of you were rubbing elbows with the other little swimmers! I voraciously read and watched the transformations of the Shelby cars from the get go. If memory serves me correctly, the 65 and 66 Shelby Gt350s had no mention of "Cobra" other than the engine valve covers and the side of the special, oversized, aluminum 7quart oil pan. This was more for marketing and hype than purposeful deception. Carroll was a marketing genius at that, as we all know too well. When Ford took over production of the GT350, and it's future variants in 1967, all bets were off and the confusion was born. To this day, I think only of a "Cobra" as an AC Bristol, two seat, sports car and it's brother, the Daytona coupe. Hell, to this day I still have arguments with my college roommate, (who owned a new 1966 GT350), that my 2007, 2011, and 2013 GT500's are not true Shelbys because they were not modified by Shelby American as were the 1965 and 1966 cars. The SuperSnakes and their variants, give him pause in the agreement. It still makes for continuing great arguments over a drink and cigar. At this juncture in life, I'm just glad to be here to argue the point! Carroll would approve.

·
Registered
568 Posts

The Cobra brand continued to show up in Ford cars through the 1970s, such as the 1973 Mustang Mach 1 that used a 428 cubic inch Cobra Jet V8 engine. One of the Mach 1s was used in the original “Gone in 60 Seconds” film in 1974."

I didn't read everything word for word but did catch the above comment and it's factually wrong. There was no 428 in a 73 Mustang. The last 428 in a Mustang came in 1970. The 429 Cobra Jet and 429 Super Cobra Jet was used in the 71 Mustang. There was a 351 Cobra Jet in 72 but pretty sure the 73 351 had no mention of Cobra Jet in the engine description and certainly no 428 CJ or otherwise in 73.

·
Banned
9,881 Posts

If memory serves me correctly, the 65 and 66 Shelby Gt350s had no mention of "Cobra" other than the engine valve covers and the side of the special, oversized, aluminum 7quart oil pan.
You missed the intake manifold.

But pay no attention to me, I am just a IGNORANT Ford SVT Shelby GT500 Cobra owner.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts

Your response was actually funny! I got a good laugh out of "Source: Me." :rofl:

There are those that are unknowingly ignorant and those that chose to be ignorant. I cannot help those that chose it.
Aparently, nothing in the rules that says Moderators can't take shots at Members.
:rocker:

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts

I'm sooooo confused..........all this time living a lie.....LOL....:argue: good write up, I have to explain this a lot myself.
LOL! That cracked me up. I love my Mustang 5.4L. :grin:

Great write-up @Goose17! That should clear up any doubt to say the least!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

You missed the intake manifold.

The 66 tachometer on the dash also says Cobra.

How could you forget these on your dream car @03reptile ??? :wink: I know what happened. You're just trying to block out the bad memories of the one that got away. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 911 Posts