Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet Another New Member with a GT500 for Christmas.

Ok, I was a REALLY good boy this year, because Santa just hooked me up! Alright, since I'm new here I'll come clean. I definitely was NOT that good this year. I think Santa must be getting a bit lax on that whole "making a list and checking it twice" deal because there's NO way I should've slipped through the cracks. Anyway, that said I just got a '09 GT500! w00t!

Let me just tell you, damn I am LOVING this car. No joke! My last car was something of a personal mistake but I've rectified it big time. lol I had a series of 6 speed, muscle car type rides as my daily drivers through the 90's and early 00's.

1993 RX-7/R1, 5M
1996 Camaro Z-28/SS, 6M
2000 Camaro SS, 6M
2001 C5 Corvette, 6M
2005 C6 Corvette, 6M

I'm not sure if, in 2007, I was having an "identity crisis" or what but I traded in the C6 Corvette for a Carbon Silver 350Z... automatic. *cringe* Actually, it was a well put together, sporty little car. And, in all fairness, when I bought it I THOUGHT I wanted an auto for a daily driver. I got my driver's license in 1983 and had never owned an auto (for me... 2nd cars for my wife don't count). I thought I was "tired" of rowing those 6 Speeds around town (I don't do a lot of highway driving).

What I came to realize was, for me anyway, once a big-torque, manual tranny, car guy ALWAYS a big-torque, manual tranny, car guy. lol I was never happy with the 350Z. Don't misunderstand, I'm not bashing the Z because I bought the "wrong" transmission. It really was a great DD. NEVER needed any service but routine maintenance. But that little V6 needed to be revved and the auto was definitely not the trans for me in that car.

Never the less, I think I have atoned for my auto/V6 sins before the altar to the torque gods. Now, all I have to do is read read read. Because stock is NEVER "good enough". Did I mention, man I LOVE this car!

Anyway, just wanted to post something. I've been lurking and reading here since I brought her home on Saturday.

Oh, and in closing, I have to thank THE best wife in the world... mine. Just as background, this was no "impulse buy". I'd had my eye on this car for a little over two months. Talking with the dealer, researching on the internet, reading every review in a car rag I could find, etc. So, last Friday my wife asks me what I want for Christmas? I told her, ehhhh, I don't know. (And, I was serious. I'm a 41 year old man. I love Christmas, but Christmas is for kids. I didn't really "want" anything.) Anyway, so I told her, I don't know. I really don't want anything. She sat there for a second, and I could tell she was thinking about something (I had NO clue what). Finally she spoke up and said, Well, tell you what, if there's nothing I can get you why don't you just go buy that Cobra tomorrow. I was like, are you serious? (After over two months, I still couldn't get THE "deal" I was happy with.) And she said, Yeah, life's too short. You've been trying to work a deal for months. If you want it, just go get it.

So I did. True Story. I love my wife! lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS - I was all ready to post up some pictures of my new baby in my post above, but evidently the board software won't let me because I'm such a newb. :rofl: As soon as I'm allowed, I will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the new addition.
HP, torque and Forced induction are very addicitive.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice post Dr.
Now all you have to do is call JLT Performance and get the CAI and tune.
You wont believe the change.
I got my car in 06 and the dealer wouldn't come off there price. I wanted them to take 500 bucks off and no dice so I walked out the door.
My wife said that you going to let this car get away for a lousy 500 bucks.
So I went back inside and made the deal.
In retrospect it was a lousy deal as they have built to many. I am glad you got a car.
So tell us about the car post some photos.
Welcome
Art

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am all ready to post up some pics as soon as the forum software will let me.

As for my car, not sure what I can say. 2009 Torch Red with White Stripes. It only has a few options:

Shaker 1000
HID's
Ambient Lighting
GT500 Premium Trim Package (WhateverTH that is??)

That's it. Oh, and of course, the ever popular $1300 Gas Guzzler Tax. I got a laugh out of that being listed under "Options" on my sticker. I said to the salesman, "Option?". Ok, give me one of these WITHOUT that "option"! lol

I'll tell you, on all four of my GM 6-Speeds I HATED the 1-4 skip shift, but it was worth it to never have paid the gas guzzler tax. Best part, on the two Camaro's, I put a front wheel up on the curb, shimmied under the car, and disconnected the skip-shift before I ever even left the dealership. The Corvettes I had to wait till I got home to lift the things and unplug it. I'd order the bypass to seal up the plugs and never gave skip-shift a second thought.

Anyway, I'm really psyched about this car. I keep hearing pulley, CAI, tune, maybe the heat exchanger upgrade.. and the car REALLY wakes up. I can't wait!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I've satisfied the "ZOMG u R sucha nEwB!!11" subroutine in the forum software and I can post pictures now. So here goes:

Not like you guys haven't seen a 1000 others just like it, but I'm still proud. :pimp:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome!....Looks just like mine, your going to have a great x-mas unless it snows!:cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats!

Love the Christmas story, too! We have a lot in common... cars, great wives, and I am about to turn 41, too. :)

It'll be a little bit before I can bring mine home, so I'll live vicariously through you for another 10 days or so.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am all ready to post up some pics as soon as the forum software will let me.

As for my car, not sure what I can say. 2009 Torch Red with White Stripes. It only has a few options:

Shaker 1000
HID's
Ambient Lighting
GT500 Premium Trim Package (WhateverTH that is??)

That's it. Oh, and of course, the ever popular $1300 Gas Guzzler Tax. I got a laugh out of that being listed under "Options" on my sticker. I said to the salesman, "Option?". Ok, give me one of these WITHOUT that "option"! lol

I'll tell you, on all four of my GM 6-Speeds I HATED the 1-4 skip shift, but it was worth it to never have paid the gas guzzler tax. Best part, on the two Camaro's, I put a front wheel up on the curb, shimmied under the car, and disconnected the skip-shift before I ever even left the dealership. The Corvettes I had to wait till I got home to lift the things and unplug it. I'd order the bypass to seal up the plugs and never gave skip-shift a second thought.

Anyway, I'm really psyched about this car. I keep hearing pulley, CAI, tune, maybe the heat exchanger upgrade.. and the car REALLY wakes up. I can't wait!
My convertible has the exact same options. Basically everything but NAV (which would have been cool, but low on my list). I agree about the Gas Guzzler. Ford could easily have put a 1-4 Skip Shift program into the thing, and as owners we could easily have disconnected it for free or reflash the PCM to get rid of it. Would have saved us all $1300.

Oh well... didn't keep me from buying one. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on your xmas gift. Enjoy it to the fullest. Now go make that wifey very happy...:D
And welcome to the board.
Thanks alot. As for the wife, she bought herself the latitude to get away with pretty much anything for the foreseeable future and believe me, she knows it. :rofl: She's younger than me, but she's no dummy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice GT500. You chose the right color. ;) Welcome to the forum!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok now drop it and let the mods begin.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice story, I was excited for you as I read it.

Congrats on getting the second fastest color! :cool:

I love the red/white, it's a sexy combo actually. Prepare to get more than TWICE the attention that even your Vette's used to get on the road. Everyone loves these cars, and a color like that grabs their attention from a mile away.

Shame about the front plate though. I gave my dealer a long lecture when I ordered my car.... that if they made the mistake of drilling a plate holder on there, I would not accept the car. I get harassed by the cops every now and then, but I don't mind.

Enjoy the ride, and yes... evoperform.com get the JLT Stage 2 package and you'll see what is actually hidden under that hood. It is absolutely, positively night and day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again guys for the nice comments/warm welcome. I appreciate it. I wish there was more traffic on this board, but I guess it'll be a while before I'm done reading all the "old" info that's already here.

That said, Garagelogic, I wouldn't call the front plate holder "ftl". Admittedly, I wish we didn't have that law here in Texas but since we do I looked at the car with it on and off, and didn't really mind it. So I'm going to fun the front plate.

I drove from 1993 all the way till 2007 with no front plates because I had cars that didn't look great with the plate holder. The GT500 I actually thought, wow.. that's not TOO bad. So since I'm spoiled now from not having to worry about it (been driving my 350Z with a front plate) I told him to put it on.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's opinion. But MY opinion is... if you've got a GT500 you are already sooooooo FTW! that a front plate? Pffffft.. don't sweat the small stuff. lol Oh, and whoever said the SECOND fastest color? I beg to differ... hahahah

Take it easy guys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks again guys for the nice comments/warm welcome. I appreciate it. I wish there was more traffic on this board, but I guess it'll be a while before I'm done reading all the "old" info that's already here.

That said, Garagelogic, I wouldn't call the front plate holder "ftl". Admittedly, I wish we didn't have that law here in Texas but since we do I looked at the car with it on and off, and didn't really mind it. So I'm going to fun the front plate.

I drove from 1993 all the way till 2007 with no front plates because I had cars that didn't look great with the plate holder. The GT500 I actually thought, wow.. that's not TOO bad. So since I'm spoiled now from not having to worry about it (been driving my 350Z with a front plate) I told him to put it on.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's opinion. But MY opinion is... if you've got a GT500 you are already sooooooo FTW! that a front plate? Pffffft.. don't sweat the small stuff. lol Oh, and whoever said the SECOND fastest color? I beg to differ... hahahah

Take it easy guys.
I also wish there was more traffic on this board! I like the community of boards like these for specific vehicles like ours.

I also live in TX, and none of my vehicles have front plates, except for the wife's Yukon. I guess I'm just lucky I don't get pulled over.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Us new guys need to revive it... I have this board set to my homepage at home and work. I think I have read almost every post on this forum since I bought my car. Most people on here seem to be on teamshelby too, but I like it here better, more freedom and a smaller group.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts