Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was active this morning in the GEN I taurus SHO facebook group making a statement that the SHO I just bought which is as close to the original SHO I owned brought me back down memory lane

Yes, I own a pristine 1991 Black SHO with mocha leather interior that I am slowly getting as close to as my original 91 +.

My first SHO was a plus, was supercharged, had tokico shocks and eibach lowering springs and beautiful Momo Arrow rims.

The car I found wasnt a plus but did come with the fiberglass hood which is rare. The rear wing which was part of the + package I am currently adding to the car as I speak. Its at the body shop

I will show the car I bought and show my original baby. Even today I think its a beautiful car by any standard. This picture was taken at Hallett Race way in Ok.

first few pictures are the new 91 I just bought
sb1 (1).jpg
taurus1.jpg
taurus3.jpg

The above picture shows the modified police grill that I already installed compliments of 03reptile !!

The new car doesnt have the aggressive stance that the original car did because my tokico and springs are not installed yet

Below is the original with its aggressive stance, and wider footprint compliments of the Momo Arrow rims and all the power you needed with the first ever supercharged SHO in the country that was featured in Superford magazine

blower.jpg
91SHO.JPG
cropped sho hallet.jpg

DSCN0119.JPG
Don's%20Car%206.jpg

To close:

No, I wont be adding a blower to the new car, there will be no Momo rims, the tires that are on the car are 225 55's I believe and I will go to 225 x50x18 to get a better stance
Once I get the car back from the body shop, I will work on getting the tokico shocks and Eibach lowering springs installed which should help the look of the car.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
The ultimate sleeper Don! On first glance, it looks like an average family sedan, but look closely... there is something special here!

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ultimate sleeper Don! On first glance, it looks like an average family sedan, but look closely... there is something special here!
Tim thank you

Very much the sleeper. The yamaha motor is 220hp and when I added the blower I was around 350hp. Surprised alot of cars for sure. The car had racing suspension, had a true Quaife posi differential and directionally veined 2 piece rotors ( this was 1991 folks ! ) and race brake pads to stop at any speed among other goodies.

But your 100% right that this Taurus doesnt look like your average daily grocery getter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don,

Your car looks great! I was 20 in 1991. I can't believe cars that new are considered antique now. I know, I am considered antique now too. Believe it or not, I still have the 1965 Mustang fastback from when I was 16. Luckily I married a wonderful lady that didn't want me to get rid of my old car. :) I will have to post a picture of it

Have a good one.

Scott

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
Yep, I had a 91 SHO as the wife's DD. It truly was a sleeper and that V-6 Yamaha engine would wind like a three day clock. We put more than 165K on the car before selling it to a neighbor. They truly were unique cars. Big sedan with a great engine and 5 speed manual! Can't wait to see it next January!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don,

Your car looks great! I was 20 in 1991. I can't believe cars that new are considered antique now. I know, I am considered antique now too. Believe it or not, I still have the 1965 Mustang fastback from when I was 16. Luckily I married a wonderful lady that didn't want me to get rid of my old car. :) I will have to post a picture of it

Have a good one.

Scott

Do to a variety of reasons Scott I decided to get rid of it which was a poor decision but had no choice back than.

Today, when I mod my SHELBY its cash, back than I was young and stupid and racked up credit card debit. Live and learn

pls show that mustang, your truly blessed to have had it for so long. The owner of the SHO I bought was the original owner and bought it new. He had it for 29 years!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I had a 91 SHO as the wife's DD. It truly was a sleeper and that V-6 Yamaha engine would wind like a three day clock. We put more than 165K on the car before selling it to a neighbor. They truly were unique cars. Big sedan with a great engine and 5 speed manual! Can't wait to see it next January!
Looking forward to seeing you Mike !!!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Our family just sold our 1999 V8 SHO, same color, Black w/Gray leather, fully optioned. We bought it in 2001 when our first child was born, it was a Ford Exec. retirement perk that was traded to a dealership in Sebring Florida. We bought it with 19K original miles and just sold it 18 years later with 62K original miles. I "thought" it would be a nice first car for our daughter who road home from the hospital in her car carrier in the rear seat, but no, it was not what she wanted......So it is gone. Late last year we drove it to Sea World Orlando along with my Super Snake for an invitation only car show they were having in the park........It was amazing how much interest there was in that large looking 32 valve V8 under the hood of a Taurus.....It too was a Yamaha engine.....

I did a little bit of research over the years and found that our '99 SHO was over $29K new and 3100 were built in the last year of the Gen. 3. It was a pretty rare car.....My only real concern was the amount of "unique parts" that were part of the SHO build, most all of which have been long ago obsolete and impossible to get if/when there were future issues, which there will be at some point. Thankfully I had kept up with that car and EVERYTHING worked correctly. It was a nice performance 4 door sedan.

R

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,160 Posts
You guys are sparking memories. My 89 was the burgundy color, grey leather interior and the honeycomb wheels. Ex ended up with it. She drove it for another 10 years. In 97 my wife and I were car shopping and drove a black, V8 one but she couldn’t do the ovals everywhere so we bought the Mustang GT.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
We also had a 1996 V-8 SHO from new. It was a nice cruiser but lacked the excitement of the 1991 SHO. It had a fairly weak automatic transmission which overheated and vomited out all it's fluid on two occasions over the years. Thankfully, I had an extended warranty and they covered it. I also had the cams welded to the pressed on chain gear sprockets after hearing that numerous V-8 SHO's destroyed themselves when the gears moved, changing the timing. Can you say interference engine? It was a decent car, otherwise, but not one that I reminisce about!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We also had a 1996 V-8 SHO from new. It was a nice cruiser but lacked the excitement of the 1991 SHO. It had a fairly weak automatic transmission which overheated and vomited out all it's fluid on two occasions over the years. Thankfully, I had an extended warranty and they covered it. I also had the cams welded to the pressed on chain gear sprockets after hearing that numerous V-8 SHO's destroyed themselves when the gears moved, changing the timing. Can you say interference engine? It was a decent car, otherwise, but not one that I reminisce about!

Mike

those cars were nice but the cam sprocket nightmare was something else.

The V6 yamaha motor was a non interference motor were as that V8 wasnt ...... those sprockets let go... KABOOM

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Mike

those cars were nice but the cam sprocket nightmare was something else.

The V6 yamaha motor was a non interference motor were as that V8 wasnt ...... those sprockets let go... KABOOM
^^^^Yes, and that was my concern, a major issue like that would render the car non-repairable from a cost standpoint because, even though it is a unique car and nice examples are hard to find in today's world, the market value for a 1996-99 V8 SHO is not there. I only had one major issue during time of ownership, for some reason the transmission pump seal blew out, I suspect there is a pressure valve that allowed too much psi at the pump and the seal blew out? Of course it required the FWD trans. removal which was no small task. Thankfully I knew a mechanic at our local Lincoln-Mercury dealership who knew, and had been trained in those "unique beast" SHO's and he worked on it after hours at the L-M shop........and $2200 later it was done with only a new pump, torque converter and seal replacement.

BTW - If anyone notice the wheels on my 1999 SHO?..........They are the optional wheels for the other Taurus (SE 24V, etc.) models.......Those wheels (as shown in the 1999 Taurus dealer sales brochure) were standard for the '99 SHO. The 1996-1998 SHO got a unique wheel, but the 1999 got what is shown on my car. At first I thought it had the wrong wheels at only 19K original miles when we looked at it at the dealership in Sebring, then I did some research and found that the 1999 SHO did not get the 1996-1998 SHO wheels........<<<Just a tid-bit of SHO history that many may not be familiar with...Personally, I like the 1999 style of wheels better than the 1996-1998 SHO wheels, but that is just my opinion.

R

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
^^^^Yes, a V8 Taurus had a cool sound, and it would pull through the RPM range, but "if" it crapped, it would be a BIG Crap......I was always concerned about a major surprise issue that could occur with a car that was so unique.....

Other than the one "major" issue with the trans. seal that I mentioned in the post above, it was a good family car for us, but within a couple of years my wife decided a minivan would be better so the SHO went under a car cover in the garage with a Battery Tender and only came out as a usable family sedan when needed........That is why it only had 62K miles on it when we sold it late last year.

R

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
Robert, the trans in the V-8 SHO was the same one used in the Lincoln V-6, so I was told. In both instances, the SHO transmission overheated and dumped all it's trans oil onto the highway. After the second repair, my dealership's skilled transmission repair technician replaced the SHO trans cooler with a much larger trans cooler from a Ford truck and that was the last time we had an issue. Apparently the stock cooler was just not able to cope with the heat generated by the transmission.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Robert, the trans in the V-8 SHO was the same one used in the Lincoln V-6, so I was told. In both instances, the SHO transmission overheated and dumped all it's trans oil onto the highway. After the second repair, my dealership's skilled transmission repair technician replaced the SHO trans cooler with a much larger trans cooler from a Ford truck and that was the last time we had an issue. Apparently the stock cooler was just not able to cope with the heat generated by the transmission.
I had not heard or researched the SHO V8 transmission, all I know is that the information I did read mentioned a 3.66 final drive ratio, which sounded pretty cool from a performance standpoint, but the engine was a small V8 and the car was relatively heavy.

R

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do to a variety of reasons Scott I decided to get rid of it which was a poor decision but had no choice back than.

Today, when I mod my SHELBY its cash, back than I was young and stupid and racked up credit card debit. Live and learn

pls show that mustang, your truly blessed to have had it for so long. The owner of the SHO I bought was the original owner and bought it new. He had it for 29 years!
You got lucky with a good car only having one owner. The GT I bought had 3 owners before me, but they each only put about 3000 miles on it and took good care of it, so I can't complain.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
I suspect your 99 transmission may have been given a larger trans. cooler given the issues that the 96 had. The power was acceptable for the wife, but it was no match for the Mustang GT I had at the time. It was a comfortable car for road trips but it always reminded me that I should have kept the 91 SHO!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the finished product.
C9CD0FD4-9C5F-464E-8CD3-10E50F7B08A8.jpeg
D28AC9FA-1325-4590-89C4-5CE29084B6E6.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reactions: Goose17