Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This popped up on my YouTube feed. I learned something.

It does not go into the sound difference, with an H producing more of a muscle car burble and an X making more of a raspy note.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
There was one episode of Engine Masters on Motor Trend where they dyno'd a mild build LS engine with a straight pipe, and x and h pipes and using the same mufflers. The X and H were in the same location and they didn't experiment with moving it. Their theory was the real estate under your car will have more to do with placement than actually tuning the cross over placement. End result was the X made more power than the H at higher rpm and the H made more power at lower rpm (torque). However, this difference was only a couple hp or lb ft., so it was splitting hairs. The straight pipe with mufflers made about 10 lb ft less torque, but was in the same hp range. All liked the sound of the X pipe better, but the difference in DBs were only 1 or 2 between them. I just thought I'd throw that in here.

I hear more guys describe an X on our cars as raspy. I've only run an H on my car, so I can't say. With long tubes, Borla Tourings and 18" bottle resonators, it's still makes more noise than I care to hear.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The stock " H " pipe off the 14, ( notice the crossover pipe )

Kooks " green " catted X pipe on the 14.

I've never been too concerned about how it sounds, feeds into stock mufflers.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a off road xpipe and don’t understand the description of “raspy”? Paired with my Corsa Sports it’s anything but raspy. Higher pitch maybe??
It’s relative to the H-pipe and the 2011+ Coyote has much more of a raspy note vs 4.6/5.4/5.8.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2020 GT500 has a X pipe, wonder if the aftermarket will offer an H somewhere down the road ??
I won’t be changing the exhaust on my 2020. It is fabulous as is, especially since it has selectable modes. The sounds that come out of that thing are amazing.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some screen shots of the video I took at Vegas that show the X on the 2020:

6AD7C221-B87B-4E5A-92B3-4D50AE209428.jpeg
F1FA87C8-622A-4B35-9025-317550435D3B.jpeg
BAB7C355-3BFF-4206-9E6F-26EB1F1ABABA.jpeg

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I won’t be changing the exhaust on my 2020. It is fabulous as is, especially since it has selectable modes. The sounds that come out of that thing are amazing.
Maybe you won't, but others see the cats & resonators as unnecessary. Pretty sure the header Mfg. are hard @ work as we speak..

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe you won't, but others see the cats & resonators as unnecessary. Pretty sure the header Mfg. are hard @ work as we speak..
Don’t mess with perfection... you’ll screw it up.

The only reason I could see someone ditching the current exhaust system is if they are dialing up the wick, WAY up. Which could get costly in this car.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Don’t mess with perfection... you’ll screw it up.

The only reason I could see someone ditching the current exhaust system is if they are dialing up the wick, WAY up. Which could get costly in this car.
Tim, I think you're kidding yourself if you think guys won't mess with the exhaust in search of their perfect pitch, regardless of performance gains... Albeit, it may be less popular of a mod than it is on the 07-14 cars.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim, I think you're kidding yourself if you think guys won't mess with the exhaust in search of their perfect pitch, regardless of performance gains... Albeit, it may be less popular of a mod than it is on the 07-14 cars.
All they really have to do is flip a switch in this car. It has different exhaust modes for a variety of tastes. I think I’ll be living in “Track Mode.”

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
I agree with Tim. It's just perfect! Reminds me of my modding days when my father would walk over to me while I was changing some part and just say, " And you think you know more then those Ford engineers?" But Nick is also right indicating that aftermarket people will fiddle with the exhaust system and make changes for the sake of financial gain. It's capitalisms at it's best!

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
All they really have to do is flip a switch in this car. It has different exhaust modes for a variety of tastes. I think I’ll be living in “Track Mode.”
Of course I already have the toggle switch to change the exhaust sound on the GT350. To tell the truth, most times I leave it in the normal mode when driving around with the wife, as I have a far better chance of getting the "stink eye" if I leave it in sport! With the GT350 exhaust in normal mode, I have noticed that if I hit a certain point when pushing down on the accelerator pedal, it automatically changes to sport mode, and that's a substantial noise difference! If I let off, it returns to normal. Kinda reminds me of the old four barrel carburetors of the 60's when you had the air filter top reversed, hit the secondaries, and heard that big low moan of that four barrel sucking air! Great times!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the old four barrel carburetors of the 60's when you had the air filter top reversed, hit the secondaries, and heard that big low moan of that four barrel sucking air! Great times!
Oh Yeah ! Good Ole days ....it all seemed so much simpler!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts