Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the carrollshelbyracing site is offering a 'pre-order' for a billet engine cap set for any GT500's prior to 2013.

Shelby engine caps.jpg

I was curious if anyone has purchased a set previously from them and how happy you were with them. I did go ahead and pull the trigger, but am less then enthused that the second I did, my cc was charged for the full price of them, despite a 'turnaround' that could be up to 'six months'. Charge me 1/3rd, or even 1/2 of my cost initially, then charge me at the end when the ship for the remainder of the cost, I wouldn't bat an eye.......but to be charged the full price right out of the gate, all the while saying it could be up to six months until I receive them? Not exactly what I'd consider the best of policies....

Just curious.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
I saw the carrollshelbyracing site is offering a 'pre-order' for a billet engine cap set for any GT500's prior to 2013.

View attachment 208046

I was curious if anyone has purchased a set previously from them and how happy you were with them. I did go ahead and pull the trigger, but am less then enthused that the second I did, my cc was charged for the full price of them, despite a 'turnaround' that could be up to 'six months'. Charge me 1/3rd, or even 1/2 of my cost initially, then charge me at the end when the ship for the remainder of the cost, I wouldn't bat an eye.......but to be charged the full price right out of the gate, all the while saying it could be up to six months until I receive them? Not exactly what I'd consider the best of policies....

Just curious.
Wow! Surprised to see these being produced again! Not sure how I feel about that as I bought these back in 2012 and have been running them since. These were a hot commodity and when the supply dried up, prices shot up for remaining stock.

I like the look. I did polish the lips on mine to match the polished supercharger. I also modded the washer fluid cap to work on my 2011.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
They have recently started reproducing a few items that are in demand now that we have a 2nd and 3rd new owners of these cars. To my knowledge, all items are in a preorder basis.

Reactions: Andretti

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,755 Posts

View attachment 208046

Availability of these caps is bad news for profiteers hoping to cash-in on their limited availability, but it's good news for 2007-2014 owners. (Unless they're sized differently, they should work on 2007-2014 GT500s, albeit with an "extra" (PS) cap for some of us.)

I bought the 2010-2014 Shelby GT500 Engine Cap Set that Shelby Performance offers years ago. I like them, but prefer this set's appearance and inclusion of loops to retain smaller caps.

I have no purchase experience with Carroll Shelby Racing, but I agree with your premise that charging 100% of an item's cost (up to) six months before delivery is pretty poor customer service. Your suggestion to charge a deposit, with balance due at shipment/delivery, is more appropriate. Good luck and please post update(s), when available.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and ordered them because $300 for the caps seems 'reasonable' considering the ones I really wanted in the pic below (when I even find them anywhere) go for $650 or more.

Shelby engine caps striped.jpg

I just can't justify to myself spending that kind of money that while looking pretty awesome, does nothing for the performance of the car. I just didnt know if anyone here had also ordered some and what they thought about the full charge right out of the gate.

I will definitely post my experiences with my order for anyone who wishes to be kept informed.

Reactions: Norton and Goose17

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been waiting for them to release these caps for few months now. I was pretty pumped to see them come out for pre-order! Then saw that it was a 6 months or more wait. With the current world condition I will pay the extra $25.00 when they have them in stock and order them then. I want to add that I have not heard of any problems with any of the other pre-order items that other people,on other forums have purchased.

Reactions: Andretti

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
I believe all of the parts are being produced by the same companies that originally produced them.

Reactions: Norton

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I believe all of the parts are being produced by the same companies that originally produced them.
Interesting. I remember reading there was a (less-than-amicable) parting of ways between Shelby and (previous) manufacturer, Scott Drake. Someone must have come to their senses because of the sales/profits on which both were missing out.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I mistaken, or is 'Carroll Shelby Racing's' site owned by Scott Drake? I can't remember for certain where I heard that, but that's the way I 'remember it' for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Am I mistaken, or is 'Carroll Shelby Racing's' site owned by Scott Drake? I can't remember for certain where I heard that, but that's the way I 'remember it' for whatever that's worth.
I've not heard that before, but it doesn't make sense from the standpoint of suspending production of what should have been fairly lucrative parts. If Drake has rights to use the Shelby name, why stop producing the caps? I know I didn't save whatever I read about them parting ways, but I recall an implication/statement that the split was not a friendly one. (It is, of course, possible I'm remembering it incorrectly too.)

Having worked the licensing process for our local Shelby Club with the corporate lawyers, I'd be very surprised if they permitted another company to "own" a Shelby-branded site. Our club's domain is owned by Shelby, with us paying them for its use! (I realize a Club isn't a business, but they guard their trademarks pretty jealously.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I just went to the CarrollShelbyRacing.com site and I do not see a pre-order page for these caps, can someone add the link?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I contacted them a few weeks ago on these. I was tempted to order a set but just didn't care for the 6 month wait. I didn't think they would charge the full up front fee NOW. They are being made again by Scott Drake. This is a company that is licensed from Shelby. Apparently, through their license they can contract with Drake to make them again. They did say they needed to get "X" number sold to justify moving forward with Drake to start manufacturing.

Tom

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went to the CarrollShelbyRacing.com site and I do not see a pre-order page for these caps, can someone add the link?

Thanks, Robert
sorry about that Robert. I totally forgot to link one.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I contacted them a few weeks ago on these. I was tempted to order a set but just didn't care for the 6 month wait. I didn't think they would charge the full up front fee NOW. They are being made again by Scott Drake. This is a company that is licensed from Shelby. Apparently, through their license they can contract with Drake to make them again. They did say they needed to get "X" number sold to justify moving forward with Drake to start manufacturing.

Tom
That at least explains the possible delay to some extent. I still think the entire amount upfront seems a ‘bit excessive’, but that being said I don’t plan on canceling my order anytime soon.
Thanks for the additional information.

Reactions: gaindian and Norton

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
250 Posts
Another sale added...

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
I’m excited to see them making these popular parts again for the GT500 and the Shelby GT!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was 1st skeptical about paying $300 and having them charge me the whole amount for the Pre-Order, but I understand why they had to do it. They need to pay Scott Drake to make them, so without getting the funds from the customer, they probably couldn't get Drake to make them.

They seem like legit people, saw they got Rare/Discontinued Shelby GT parts made again. I think they wanted to get these created sooner, but Covid probably put in a wrench for Drake to make them. I have no problem waiting 5-6 months now, my car is basically storage now for the winter.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Tom
my suggestion, they should put an actual number on the site for "x" and a counter for the current pre-orders to get a feel if/when something may actually happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts