Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody has the rear brembos that will work on an 09 GT500 id love to buy. My car was set up to be able to run drag slicks on 15" wheels so they put smaller brakes on the rear, just lookin to take it back up in brake size. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue
88 Posts
The stock rear brakes on your 09 are the same as my '10. I have mine set up to fit 15" rear wheels (sway bar relocation kit). My LMR 15" wheels fit fine. Your rear brakes are likely stock size. I don't think there are any bolt on Brembo rear brake kits for our cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really..? I thought the same thing when i picked it up but then had a guy tell me it should have rear brembos, and min has full suspension and traction bars so figured maybe it was taken down in brake size in the rear to accommodate smaller wheels and slicks. Yours are the same as these though? For reference, these are 20" wheels (hate it, goin to 18" with more tire shortly)
20210610_211703.jpg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,585 Posts
2020 was the 1st GT500 to get rear Brembos.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue
88 Posts
Really..? I thought the same thing when i picked it up but then had a guy tell me it should have rear brembos, and min has full suspension and traction bars so figured maybe it was taken down in brake size in the rear to accommodate smaller wheels and slicks. Yours are the same as these though? For reference, these are 20" wheels (hate it, goin to 18" with more tire shortly) View attachment 216886

Yep, same as my stock rear brakes. These are my 15" rear wheels. Only thing needed was the sway bar relocation kit. I have a full BMR rear suspension and CHE axle brace. Everything fits fine.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,524 Posts
Upgrading from the scrawny V6 Mustang brakes that came on our rear wheels usually requires something from Wilwood or Baer, and doing all four wheels if you want them to match.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,616 Posts
2020 was the 1st GT500 to get rear Brembos.
Tim is right, I think the GT350's have rear Brembo's from MY 2015 through 2020. I know mine has them. That might be a viable option if they fit within the wheel barrel. I think the past GT500's used the same rear calipers as a GT Mustang, but someone will correct this if I'm in error.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,585 Posts
Perfect, ill look for rears off a GT350 then
Do some research. It’s not a simple swap. I haven’t looked into it, so I can’t offer any more advice.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Perfect, ill look for rears off a GT350 then, or ill do wilwood all the way around.
Rears off of a GT350 would be bigger than your front brakes. They also use an internal drum brake for the parking brake and are designed to mount on an IRS rear diff.

I don't see any way in which these would be easily adaptable to the S197 chassis.

As others have mentioned you'll need a full 4 corner upgrade from someone like Baer or something and it won't be cheap.

Reactions: Norton and Goose17

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,524 Posts
Perfect, ill look for rears off a GT350 then, or ill do wilwood all the way around.
As others mentioned, I don't think a GT350 retrofit is practical.

Having upgraded mine with Wilwood's AERO6 (front) & AERO4 (rear) Big Brake Kits, which are the "2005-2014 Wilwood Shelby Front 6-Piston [and Rear 4-Piston] Big Brake Kits" from the Shelby Store (formerly Shelby Performance Parts), I can tell you the discs and calipers work well and look great. Install is pretty involved, requiring removal of the rear axles. Also, while the discs and calipers stop the car very well, the "drum internal parking brake" is garbage. It doesn't work properly no matter how much you adjust it. (I know another '13 GT500 owner who went with the same kits from the Shelby Store, and he has the exact same issue.) We, now, carry wheel chocks to "supplement" the poorly performing parking brakes. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts