Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for someone wanting to get rid of their OEM Gt500 car cover as I own a Red/White Stripe 2008 Gt500

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Depending what your plans are with it, you may consider an aftermarket cover. The oem is okay, but the material is like throwing a tent over your car.

·
Banned
8,949 Posts
Depending what your plans are with it, you may consider an aftermarket cover. The oem is okay, but the material is like throwing a tent over your car.
Explain in more detail Bob. Is it too rough. Corse material?

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Explain in more detail Bob. Is it too rough. Corse material?
The sections of material are stitched together with course thread just like a tent. The seams are pretty abrasive, at least on black paint. You of all people get it. Spend hours getting the paint as flawless as you can just to have a car cover scratch it. Don't get me wrong it is a good looking cover. I would prefer one of the cover suggested on a previous thread.

https://www.coverking.com/indoor-satin-stretch-car-cover-for-2008-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500.html

·
Moderator Dude!
28,236 Posts
^^ I agree with Bob. I have an OEM cover for the Shelby and have only used it when outside (like at Shelbyfest). It's not a breathable indoor cover. I have a soft indoor cover that is super soft.

·
Premium Member
7,415 Posts
I believe most of us had one just because it was a cool, factory item with the Cobra on it and SHELBY lettering, but as far as a really good, soft car cover.....I think there are quite a few softer/better covers available through the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I got one with my 2012...

SOLD it because I thought it was too much trouble, rather have the $$...

Got a storage building, wanted the Factory Cover again...

Bought one from another Forum member $$$$ (who shall remain un-named; but another OLD Guy!)...

Realized that it was just TOO rough for my liking....

Bought a Satin Stretch Cover to use in storage...

Save the Factory Cover for posterity/outside.

:grin:

·
Premium Member
7,415 Posts
I got one with my 2012...SOLD it because I thought it was too much trouble, rather have the $$...Got a storage building, wanted the Factory Cover again...
Bought one from another Forum member $$$$ (who shall remain un-named; but another OLD Guy!)...Realized that it was just TOO rough for my liking....Bought a Satin Stretch Cover to use in storage...Save the Factory Cover for posterity/outside.:grin:

Yes, this happens to the best of us...:).....but I have found that most of us end up with a factory one again, JUST for the "cool factor"........and, you can put it over the softer car cover and get double protection AND have "the look"!! What a crazy bunch are we........:up_to_something:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies Guys. You know I was worried about the "canvas" type cover like OEM and scratching as I had one in the past and now I'm convinced I don't want the OEM for that reason.

The coverking on the link above looks nice but $399? ouch! I was hoping the aftermarket covers would me much cheaper than the OEM?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Thanks for the replies Guys. You know I was worried about the "canvas" type cover like OEM and scratching as I had one in the past and now I'm convinced I don't want the OEM for that reason.

The coverking on the link above looks nice but $399? ouch! I was hoping the aftermarket covers would me much cheaper than the OEM?
CJ Pony parts has the satin stretch for $394.99 with the Shelby stripes, to match your car. Very nice piece, I have one for indoor storage. I also spent another $400 for the matching stormproof piece (similar to OE) for outside storage. I put the outdoor one over the indoor, when I have to store outside.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/coverking-car-cover-satin-stretch-shelby-gt500-coupe-2007-2009/p/COVER201-V/

The without stripes is $319.99.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Yes, this happens to the best of us...:).....but I have found that most of us end up with a factory one again, JUST for the "cool factor"........and, you can put it over the softer car cover and get double protection AND have "the look"!! What a crazy bunch are we........:up_to_something:
I have done this... I thought it was an original Idea haha!

·
Banned
9,881 Posts
I have a factory one and have no problem with it. But then my paint is way past being pristine and it is only used in the garage to keep it clean. Would be surprised how much dust accumulates just sitting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a factory one and have no problem with it. But then my paint is way past being pristine and it is only used in the garage to keep it clean. Would be surprised how much dust accumulates just sitting.
yes tell me about it. I have a weekend and sunny day car and it never sits outside or sees any moisture of any kind unless I'm washing it, yet it seems to accumulate TONS of dust!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I have done this... I thought it was an original Idea haha!
I do this too. I put the factory cover over the Satin Stretch (white with blue stripes). I bought a used factory cover and kept my original one in the unopened box.

I find putting the factory cover over the Satin one is a PIA. It slides all over and falls off when trying to pull it over the front, back and sides. I usually have to get my son to help just to make it go easier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do this too. I put the factory cover over the Satin Stretch (white with blue stripes). I bought a used factory cover and kept my original one in the unopened box.

I find putting the factory cover over the Satin one is a PIA. It slides all over and falls off when trying to pull it over the front, back and sides. I usually have to get my son to help just to make it go easier.
so if my car does not sit outside do I really need need "double" covers for inside the garage or will the Satin Stretch keep it dust free?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
so if my car does not sit outside do I really need need "double" covers for inside the garage or will the Satin Stretch keep it dust free?
If stored inside, the satin stretch only will work just fine.

·
Banned
9,881 Posts
Great. That's what I'll go after.

One last question. How do I deal with the antenna? Does that have to be removed prior to putting the cover on?

The factory one has a grommet for the antenna to go through. I would assume that aftermarket have one also. Which is why a early model with front antenna does not fit a later with rear antenna and vise versa.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Great. That's what I'll go after.

One last question. How do I deal with the antenna? Does that have to be removed prior to putting the cover on?

The factory one has a grommet for the antenna to go through. I would assume that aftermarket have one also. Which is why a early model with front antenna does not fit a later with rear antenna and vise versa.

The cover I bought from CJ's came with the antenna hole w/ grommet already installed. Did not need to remove.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts