Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought this would be easy to find as you said, but so far its crickets. I'll even trade my 2.75 pulley for the stock one if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
267 Posts
Oh, I'm in San Diego Ca
I live in SoCal. and have no problems at all passing a smog test with a 2.9L Whipple and I am at 718 RWHP. What mods besides the pulley are on your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CA state smog referee said its because once my car hit 13 years old, it became a vehicle that the state of California wants off the road (recent legislation). I had no problem with my last smog inspection 2 years ago in 2018. Your car is 2 years newer and I would bet that you will have the same problem in 2022.

I went to the smog inspection station, they plugged in my VIN# and their system instantly flagged the car and would not allow them to even run the test. The system said I had to go to a state referee. I had to make an appointment with a referee which took a month. The referee plugged into the computer on my car and instantly could see that that it was not a stock "tune". He ended up failing me for the following modifications: (1) smaller blower pulley, (2) modified CAI and (3) computer air fuel mixture (non-stock tune).

The good news is I was able to find a stock CAI Air Box assembly on ebay for $75.00 and just bought a pulley this morning on ebay for $50.00. Once I get the parts on, I'll return the tune to stock and back to the referee. Meanwhile I had to register the car under non-op to avoid late registration penalties. California is a joke!

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
81 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. Here in New York I don’t think we have similar laws. We don’t need them. By the time a car gets to be 11 - 12 years old the salt from the roads in winter has eaten through fenders, trunks, bumpers and frames. One of the essential tools for mechanics around here is a good acetylene torch.:oops:

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
267 Posts
The CA state smog referee said its because once my car hit 13 years old, it became a vehicle that the state of California wants off the road (recent legislation). I had no problem with my last smog inspection 2 years ago in 2018. Your car is 2 years newer and I would bet that you will have the same problem in 2022.

I went to the smog inspection station, they plugged in my VIN# and their system instantly flagged the car and would not allow them to even run the test. The system said I had to go to a state referee. I had to make an appointment with a referee which took a month. The referee plugged into the computer on my car and instantly could see that that it was not a stock "tune". He ended up failing me for the following modifications: (1) smaller blower pulley, (2) modified CAI and (3) computer air fuel mixture (non-stock tune).

The good news is I was able to find a stock CAI Air Box assembly on ebay for $75.00 and just bought a pulley this morning on ebay for $50.00. Once I get the parts on, I'll return the tune to stock and back to the referee. Meanwhile I had to register the car under non-op to avoid late registration penalties. California is a joke!
Wow. I did not know this. If that is the case then I will never pass. I am sure that there are ways around this just like there are ways around it now, but I have never had to resort to that. You are right about this state being a joke and far worse that that. I have been here for 38 years and cannot believe the crap that goes on. In fact I live on a fairly small street which has very light traffic and people drive 25-30 MPH. Two days ago they just put stripes on it, a double yellow in the middle and a white breakdown lane stripe on both sides. There are a lot of streets the same size as mine and no stripes. Well, anyway, hopefully I'll be out of this Sh*thole of a state by 2022.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts