Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see why more and more people are losing respect for cops.
3am, just getting off work from striping the freeway, driving in the slow lane at the posted speed limit, less than a mile from home, the power hungry CHP pulls me over because my truck is lifted but I don’t have mud flaps in the back and fender flares in the front.
I bought the truck brand new with the lift installed from the dealer. It was on the show room floor with the lift. I test drove it with zero miles on the odometer and brought it home the same day.
Cop tells me “well the dealer sold you an illegal vehicle. Have you been drinking tonight?”

Ahhhh there’s the reason but he needed probable cause.

So let’s pull over someone who is not breaking the law. If it is just mud flaps and fender flares, go to the dealer and tell them that they are selling illegally lifted vehicles.

I said “well I guess you all don’t have anyone to gun down this time of morning so I guess stop the hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizen and prove your bad reputation”

Good job officer, not my fault you can’t afford a $70,000 truck, so go back to your double wide, beat your wife some more and eat a bowl of beanie weenies

I apologize if this offends anyone who is a good cop or has them in their family.
I have cops on my job every night while we work and it’s great having them there.
I’m just getting fed up with their sense of entitlement and piss poor judgement.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
I understand your being angry, however, from what you've written, the officer was well within his rights to have stopped you. Lifted trucks are predominantly designed for off road excursions, not highway use; albeit, many people drive them on the streets and highways. I'd venture to say that all States have a regulation as to how high the vehicle may be to traverse the public highways. I'm betting your truck exceeded that California requirement. There are good, sensible reasons for these height requirements and just common sense dictates why. Your dealer is definitely remiss in selling you a truck that did not meet the height requirements of your State. They put you in the trick bag.
It is also the officer's job to enforce all traffic laws, and asking someone if they have been drinking at 3:00AM during a traffic stop for a mechanical violation is not "piss poor judgement" or a sense of entitlement. Had you lost some family member or friend to a drunk driver, as thousands have sadly experienced, you might not feel so "put upon".

Your printed response to the Officer and the following paragraph, suggests you have some deep seated negative issues with LEO's in general, and that's your prerogative.
Did the Officer give you an ERO? (equipment repair order) or did he give you a verbal warning? I may be wrong but I don't think this kind of a thread will be well accepted among the forum members. Thank you for your service, by the way.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Although I don't disagree with the laws on raised vehicles, or, LEOS trying to stop drunk drivers, I will say that not all pull-over situations are validated IMO. I believe that there are some LEOS who look for young people (in general) just to harass them for little or no reason at all. Barny Fife may have been a fictional character from the Andy Griffith Show, but his overzealous LEO character wasn't necessarily without real life representation (otherwise it wouldn't most likely been used in the series).

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,784 Posts
I actually agree with 03reptile and skydriver both. My father was a police chief growing up. I have much respect for law enforcement. Having said that, there are some that get over zealous. My oldest son has been pulled over simply because he was a teenager in a hot red Mustang. The officer told him he turned on his blinker late to make the turn and that’s why he pulled him over. My son used his blinker. He turned it on just before the turn. I was actually following him aways back and saw the whole thing.

The vast majority of officers are great hard-working people keeping all of the whackos in check. A few bad apples can give the whole lot a tarnished reputation.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Would you rather he be sitting in a parking lot on the tax payer dime typing on his favorite forum? Me? I'd rather he be doing something related to his job.

The law may be a bit over the top, but it's the law. Period. He had cause to pull you over. I thinks it's a valid question to ask a driver at 3AM if they may ne on the way home from the bar. That's an odd time l, even for a night shift, to be ending.

If you're caught with an illegal drug, are you going to tell a cop, "Well, the dealer sold it to me, so I figured it was legal". Dount that holds up in court. ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thread highjack,, were you the crew on the I-10 striping? Passed that crew around 12am, I think after Fontana? driving from AZ on my way home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
There is no doubt that somewhere in all the city, State, and other LEO agencies, there are LEO's that abuse their authority. That holds true with any other profession. Law enforcement, however, holds itself to a higher level of professionalism simply because they, unlike any other profession, are given the authority to literally take a persons life in the lawful performance of their duties. (not counting military). You don't get more serious than that. Todays LEO, for the most part, are well educated and competent people who really do care about doing a good job and keeping us all safe. Their sacrifices to this vow sometimes costs them their very lives. That's a perk most professions don't enjoy. Police agencies have really made an effort to hire decent, stable people. There are always ones who fall short, but police officers have a way of forcing these people out of their ranks without the aid of Internal Affairs. It's kind of like "shunning" by the Quakers. Most LEO's don't want a fellow officer in their ranks that brings dishonor or criticism to their ranks. They don't want the "wide brush ethic" to apply to them. They get rid of bad apples pretty efficiently. The military does the same thing in close knit groups such as Army Rangers, Special Forces, Force recon, and Seal teams. I still think the officer was completely right and your verbal response to him was inappropriate and unnecessary.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,784 Posts
(ALL professions have bad eggs, it just sucks when YOU encounter one … :( )
Yes, this is true, but the big difference between cops and other professions is they carry guns and have authority. If there is a bad cop, said cop can make life tough for some individuals.

Just to be clear, I am very pro-cop. I have spoken with my sons on numerous occasions about how the cops are decent people out there in a crazy world trying to keep the nut cases in check. I tell my boys that if they are pulled over, the cop does not know who they are and will approach them with caution. The cop doesn’t know that they are both straight-A star athlete students and outstanding young men. The cop has to be prepared in case he just pulled over a murderer. I tell my boys to be courteous, predictable and compliant! There have been cases where a simple traffic stop has spiraled out of control. Being courteous, predictable and compliant will prevent this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’m 24 years old, and have been pulled over 4 times in my Shelby. I was given a verbal warning all 4 times.

My dad when he was still alive, always told me to be respectful to law enforcement no matter what. When the lights turn on, I pull over in a safe location, windows down, engine off, lights on in the cab, and both hands on the steering wheel. Never do I reach for my registration until they ask.

I have lit up the tires across an intersection only to have a police officer right behind me see me do it, at 2am in. Anaheim, CA. He let me go and told me if I do a burn out, don’t do it in front of a police officer LOL.

I’ve had CHP on the I-10 follow me from a exit because he saw me drift the turn and take off to get back on the freeway. He was getting off the freeway is why he saw me. I was getting in front of traffic and probably hit 120 km . After 5min after i slowed back down. Here comes a CHP on my ass. Pulls me over and I do what I said above.

The guy asks me why didn’t I run when the lights went on, as he was hoping for a chase LOL. I told him would you like a round two?

He lost me and was trying to catch up. So without me knowing I was being chased .

Just goes to show, being respectful and honest goes along way.

Maybe I’m just lucky LOL.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,784 Posts
If you pull me over at 3 a.m., there's 9 chances out of 10, I'm getting busted. My daddy always told me nothing good ever happens after midnight and I've lived long enough to testify to its truth.
Well... unless you work nights and are driving at crazy times like I end up doing.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
2,990 Posts
I would think you would have thanked him for letting you know there was an issue with your truck. Now that you know, you can go back to the dealer that sold it to you & have the issue addressed ON THEIR DIME !!!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Wait till they start enforcing the no modified exhaust law. Too loud, bam, $1000 fine
Cali GT350R owner just got pulled over for his stock exhaust because he had it in Sport mode. I can confirm that the stock R exhaust, or the base 350 exhaust with the resonators removed (R's don't have resonators from the factory) are pretty loud straight from the factory. The thing is even if you don't put it in sport mode the valves will still open if you're accelerating past 50% throttle even in quiet mode.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I’m 24 years old, and have been pulled over 4 times in my Shelby. I was given a verbal warning all 4 times.

My dad when he was still alive, always told me to be respectful to law enforcement no matter what. When the lights turn on, I pull over in a safe location, windows down, engine off, lights on in the cab, and both hands on the steering wheel. Never do I reach for my registration until they ask.

I have lit up the tires across an intersection only to have a police officer right behind me see me do it, at 2am in. Anaheim, CA. He let me go and told me if I do a burn out, don’t do it in front of a police officer LOL.

I’ve had CHP on the I-10 follow me from a exit because he saw me drift the turn and take off to get back on the freeway. He was getting off the freeway is why he saw me. I was getting in front of traffic and probably hit 120 km . After 5min after i slowed back down. Here comes a CHP on my ass. Pulls me over and I do what I said above.

The guy asks me why didn’t I run when the lights went on, as he was hoping for a chase LOL. I told him would you like a round two?

He lost me and was trying to catch up. So without me knowing I was being chased .

Just goes to show, being respectful and honest goes along way.

Maybe I’m just lucky LOL.

I was also raised this way and follow what you do to a T. There is one other rule I was taught, don't lie when asked if you know why you've been pulled over. 99% of the time a person knows damn well why they were pulled over and when the officer asks, be honest.

I've been pulled over doing triple digits by DPS here in Texas and because I follow these same rules I too have been let off with warnings.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was also raised this way and follow what you do to a T. There is one other rule I was taught, don't lie when asked if you know why you've been pulled over. 99% of the time a person knows damn well why they were pulled over and when the officer asks, be honest.

I've been pulled over doing triple digits by DPS here in Texas and because I follow these same rules I too have been let off with warnings.

I forgot to add that in. I always respond yes, I know why, was it the high rate of speed?

In the end they’re human too, and want to be treated like one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts