Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP in twister orange
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Michigan and it gets well below freezing, so I’m storing my car. The only thing I’m doing is getting tire cradles (flat stoppers from race ramp) and topping off fuel.

do I really need a battery trickle charger? What if I just start the car for 20-30 min once or twice a week. Maybe even take it out for a slow drive in the neighborhood on a dry no snow day.

anything else I missed for storage? First time storing a car, I usually just drive them…even drove a z28 camaro with snow tires. Note car will have less than 100 miles likely since I just got it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,092 Posts
In Michigan and it gets well below freezing, so I’m storing my car. The only thing I’m doing is getting tire cradles (flat stoppers from race ramp) and topping off fuel.

do I really need a battery trickle charger? What if I just start the car for 20-30 min once or twice a week. Maybe even take it out for a slow drive in the neighborhood on a dry no snow day.

anything else I missed for storage? First time storing a car, I usually just drive them…even drove a z28 camaro with snow tires. Note car will have less than 100 miles likely since I just got it.
If it was my car, I’d put it on a trickle charger and not start it until spring. Then make sure to stay out of boost until all the old gas is burned. I installed a permanent lead and use my trickle charger every time I park the car for more than a day.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,092 Posts
But why would one need a battery trickle charger if you start the car weekly and let it warm up.
You could do that, but I would not run it weekly. I would just let it sit on a charger.

Reactions: Hawkeye

·
Premium Member
2020 Kona Bl CFTP 2017 GT Black
131 Posts
If it was my car, I’d put it on a trickle charger and not start it until spring. Then make sure to stay out of boost until all the old gas is burned. I installed a permanent lead and use my trickle charger every time I park the car for more than a day.

View attachment 225149
Tim, I am told by the Ford GT500 certified mechanic not to attach the ground connection to the battery, but to the lug on the shock mount. It has something to do with the how the computer sees the trickle charge. The last part may be incorrect but where the ground gets attached has been asked several times. In fact I thought you mentioned the connection in one of your earlier videos. Since you are extremely knowable person concerning this vehicle please give me your opinion on the correct way to connect the battery maintainer.
Thank you, Rich

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,092 Posts
Tim, I am told by the Ford GT500 certified mechanic not to attach the ground connection to the battery, but to the lug on the shock mount. It has something to do with the how the computer sees the trickle charge. The last part may be incorrect but where the ground gets attached has been asked several times. In fact I thought you mentioned the connection in one of your earlier videos. Since you are extremely knowable person concerning this vehicle please give me your opinion on the correct way to connect the battery maintainer.
Thank you, Rich
Connecting directly to the battery bypasses the battery monitor from what I recall seeing. It then might take the computer awhile to see the updated charge. This isn’t an issue whatsoever though as my car sits for stretches at a time hooked to the tender. Haven’t had a single issue… works like a champ!

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
Be forewarned, trickle chargers and smart chargers are not the same.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
07 GT500
374 Posts
You don't need anything under the tires. I have a 07 and it only has 176,000 miles so you can see it sits a lot. Tires don't flat spot anymore. Thats so old school like changing oil every 3,000 miles. i have a smart charger C tek charger and a Battery Tender. I can use ether one. I prefer a smart charger to the tender because it can do so much more than just charge the battery. Battery maintenance is just as critical as keeping them charged up. First sign of corrosion on the terminals that battery is junk. It will stgill start the car but it's leakinf acid and look it up the cables on these cars are expensive and a pain to change. I wouldn't bother starting the car. Engine wear happens every time you start the car. Change the oil before you park the car. I only use Motorcraft oil. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP in twister orange
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't need anything under the tires. I have a 07 and it only has 176,000 miles so you can see it sits a lot. Tires don't flat spot anymore. Thats so old school like changing oil every 3,000 miles. i have a smart charger C tek charger and a Battery Tender. I can use ether one. I prefer a smart charger to the tender because it can do so much more than just charge the battery. Battery maintenance is just as critical as keeping them charged up. First sign of corrosion on the terminals that battery is junk. It will stgill start the car but it's leakinf acid and look it up the cables on these cars are expensive and a pain to change. I wouldn't bother starting the car. Engine wear happens every time you start the car. Change the oil before you park the car. I only use Motorcraft oil. You'll be fine.
The car will only have a 100 miles, don’t think I need to change oil

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,613 Posts
Don't try to cut corners. Buy a smart charger, and rest easy. Pretty cheap insurance given the investment you have in the car.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
2009 Alloy Metallic Gt500
54 Posts
smart charger I think
[/QUOTE]

That’s the one I got. Just connected it tonight. Hope it’s worth the money.

·
Registered
2021 FCB Shelby 500
12 Posts
Here in northern Illinois seafoam in the tank, I do not like stable. I take the battery out of the car and put on a trickle charger. Car sits in a heated garage on top of carpet. I usually change the oil but got car in July and on has 400 miles on it. Now just waiting on spring

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,092 Posts
Here in northern Illinois seafoam in the tank, I do not like stable. I take the battery out of the car and put on a trickle charger. Car sits in a heated garage on top of carpet. I usually change the oil but got car in July and on has 400 miles on it. Now just waiting on spring
Keep in mind that your sensors all reset when you remove the battery. As does your PCM memory for tune adjustments. If you need to do emissions testing in the spring, you’ll need to drive around for awhile to get your sensors back online first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts