Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 FPB Handling Package
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without a doubt the current generation of GT500's is no ordinary mustang. From factory, the GT500 looks like a refined sports car. However, once widebodied, the car brilliantly showcases its muscle car lineage.

With that said, I am interested in seeing everyone's take on the CFTP Wing vs the base Spoiler with Gurney flap.

No doubt, the wing looks better on the standard car from Ford (opinion) however, does this change once the car receives a widebody treatment?

In the images below, we can see two cars with widebody treatment. The track pack being @Jmeo 's gorgeous ride. The latter, a base model showcased by raitis rides.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

In my opinion, both look fantastic, however, It's hard to put my finger on which route to go. For those that don't know, I've got a FPB Handling pack waiting to get the SE and Widebody Packages. Hence, the reason for this discussion.

Below, you can see two more examples from the rear of each car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

The wing is a bit sportier, but does it still match as well as the Gurney flap with the muscled-up body style? With that said, is the widebody too wide to properly showcase the sporty wing?

I'm completely torn between the two. Let's hear your thoughts down below. I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts
Tough choice. Both look great.

The widebody puts the wing into a better perspective proportion-wise IMO.

Also like the silver wheels a bit more.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
393 Posts
Boy that's a tough one... Both look awesome. I do have to say I really like the swing an awful lot personally. The only thing I wish they'd do a bit different is change the offset on the wheels a bit to push them out just slightly. Otherwise both look sweet!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boy that's a tough one... Both look awesome. I do have to say I really like the swing an awful lot personally. The only thing I wish they'd do a bit different is change the offset on the wheels a bit to push them out just slightly. Otherwise both look sweet!
I would have said the same but the widebody already takes the wheels from 315's and cranks the dial up to 11. The new tires are 345's.

That's what makes it hard. I love the wing on the standard car... the swing on the Widebody is growing on me though. Tough choice. Can't go wrong with either.. and that's the problem.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,176 Posts
First time I've seen the rear spoiler in body color. I like it!
I agree! The body color swing looks excellent! Having said that, the carbon fiber wing is just plain gorgeous! When you see that big curved piece of art in person, you’ll know why my vote is 100% for the wing!

I had a base with the swing and switch to the CFTP with the wing. That wing “speaks to me” every time I look at the car! :love:

Reactions: Patrick It's Pains

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree! The body color swing looks excellent! Having said that, the carbon fiber wing is just plain gorgeous! When you see that big curved piece of art in person, you’ll know why my vote is 100% for the wing!

I had a base with the swing and switch to the CFTP with the wing. That wing “speaks to me” every time I look at the car! :love:
I'll take your word for it Tim! If I cant decide, I can always save my original trunk and swap them out whenever. Would NOT be cost-effective, but neither is the SE package :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,049 Posts
I don't know that either trunk piece takes away from the widebody. I suppose if you track the car it's probably a better package with the wing, but if that's not your primary goal, I'd leave it to what YOU think looks best on the car. I'm sure SA would be happy to take your money if you told them you wanted one of each.

Seriously thinking about having my spoiler painted though. Probably a better idea to just get a new one and get it painted.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
867 Posts
I really like the swing. The CFTP wing is nice, but I like the painted look. I think it's lines also flow cleaner with the wide body. I've also never really been a fan of the CFTP style wings, but thats just me. I'll be willing to bet you can get the CFTP wing painted and leave the places where you're stripes would be unpainted to show off the carbon fiber. I would only do that if you have black stripes.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,033 Posts
The CFTP wing looks too boy racer, just like the ZR1 & Viper's, but if you track the car, it's needed.
The standard wing flows better to my eye..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know that either trunk piece takes away from the widebody. I suppose if you track the car it's probably a better package with the wing, but if that's not your primary goal, I'd leave it to what YOU think looks best on the car. I'm sure SA would be happy to take your money if you told them you wanted one of each.

Seriously thinking about having my spoiler painted though. Probably a better idea to just get a new one and get it painted.
Called my ford rep and they told me a new trunk would be $500. Honestly, I'll probably order one and have the paintwork done at home to keep the cost at Shelby American lower... that is even if I go down that route. I'd agree, you should definitely paint yours!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the swing. The CFTP wing is nice, but I like the painted look. I think it's lines also flow cleaner with the wide body. I've also never really been a fan of the CFTP style wings, but thats just me. I'll be willing to bet you can get the CFTP wing painted and leave the places where you're stripes would be unpainted to show off the carbon fiber. I would only do that if you have black stripes.
I have white stripes so sadly that option wouldn't work in my favor. I do agree with you, I feel as if the lines flow better with the swing. Especially when the swing is painted. Otherwise, it looks like the piece is just stuck on the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2020 GT500
393 Posts
That does look pretty good! Don't think I'll go this route, I'm just glad they lower the car in the front with the SE Package. It may just be me, but the height gap between the stock wheel and front fender just isn't my style.
Yep, either way I'm sure you'll be happy. The wheels themselves are some of my favorite for sure! 😎

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,176 Posts
Called my ford rep and they told me a new trunk would be $500. Honestly, I'll probably order one and have the paintwork done at home to keep the cost at Shelby American lower... that is even if I go down that route. I'd agree, you should definitely paint yours!
Look at salvage yards. You might even find one painted your color. Midway Mustang and Prestige Mustang are bigger Mustang yards.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,049 Posts
Just looked up the price of the base spoiler and it's just under a grand. I was not expecting that.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
867 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,176 Posts
Just looked up the price of the base spoiler and it's just under a grand. I was not expecting that.
… and don’t hit your plastic splitter! It’s much more expensive than you’d think.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts