Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get a lot of heat that seems to be coming through my firewall into my cars interior. The temperature gage is reading less than half and when I open the hood, it is like opening an oven. I have installed the JLT CAI and SCT tune. Is anyone else feeling the same heat and does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do about it ?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I am starting to get a lot of heat that seems to be coming through my firewall into my cars interior. The temperature gage is reading less than half and when I open the hood, it is like opening an oven. I have installed the JLT CAI and SCT tune. Is anyone else feeling the same heat and does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do about it ?
You are not alone. This bad boy generates alot of heat and here in the North East I use it as a heating source for the garage. Cheaper than fuel oil.:D :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Stage 2 MAF Boost Cooler™

This kit uses the 0 to 5 Volt output signal from the Mass Air Flow sensor on many fuel injected vehicles. This means that any vehicle with a MAF (with a 0-5V output signal) can use this kit, whether they are naturally aspirated or forced induction. If the application is forced induction, it can be used with very fast-spooling turbos, or positive displacement blowers. It is easier to set up with the positive displacement blowers with a MAF signal because it is more progressive in nature vs. the boost pressure signal on those applications. This allows for the most accurate injection possible over the widest range. The result is the most power and driveability possible.

Why Water/Methanol Injection? The Boost Cooler® is Snow Performance's latest generation water/methanol injection system. The primary function of water/methanol injection is to provide "chemical intercooling".

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php

·
Registered
135 Posts

This kit uses the 0 to 5 Volt output signal from the Mass Air Flow sensor on many fuel injected vehicles. This means that any vehicle with a MAF (with a 0-5V output signal) can use this kit, whether they are naturally aspirated or forced induction. If the application is forced induction, it can be used with very fast-spooling turbos, or positive displacement blowers. It is easier to set up with the positive displacement blowers with a MAF signal because it is more progressive in nature vs. the boost pressure signal on those applications. This allows for the most accurate injection possible over the widest range. The result is the most power and driveability possible.

Why Water/Methanol Injection? The Boost Cooler® is Snow Performance's latest generation water/methanol injection system. The primary function of water/methanol injection is to provide "chemical intercooling".

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php[/QUOTE

Or take that stock blower off and put a KB on.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Yes they do produce a lot of heat.Like my wife says "turn on the AC".

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The heat extractors in the hood are there for a reason. Just imagine what it would be like if there were no extractors. The whole front-end of the car would melt. :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
A little correction to your post prez, they are heat extractors indeed but to anyone that saw the first grand am race for the mustangs the remember tht during one of the fast banked turns the hood flew open from one of the mustang race cars. Ford discovered that these cars where generating a lot of pressure under the hood at high speeds and since these Shelbys would be seeing a little more speed than your GTs I guess they figured that it would help. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Too bad we can't bottle that heat. Taking Baby out when it's cold, N E PA, 20 and down, the heat you can see pouring out of those extractors could warm your house for the winter.

I'm with you 07, turn on ther AC.........

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have found that you can get rid of the heat at about 95 mph. I usually feel cool air at that speed.
Maybe this will work for you

·
Registered
933 Posts
ShelbyTom,

I'll have to keep that in mind when I get mine.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
275 Posts

I have to agree. Has Kenne Bell said anything about engine compartment heat or any member know the answer? I guess this can be added to Kenne Bells for extra cooling as well? The money Kenne Bell wants for his set up is becoming more and more reasonable when you add it all up. I understand Whipple is is in the hunt also.This heat thing is really troubling though. :rolleyes: GGBIW

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is anybody getting any detonation on acceleration? That seems like the only problem. Spraying water into your combusiont chamber doesn't sound right. It seems like the chemical intercooling is a fancy way of saying that the fuel/ air charge is cooled by combining it with water, and then methanol will be added so that it can be ignited. Alcohol (methanol) has an even higher evaporation rate than water in the first place. That's why your skin feels cool when you put alcohol on your hand after you ding it with a wrench. Why not just use methanol to cool the charge and forget about the H2O? and if there's no detonation, just drive it and keep your cooling system in top shape.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does this heat thing get worse with a Kenne Bell Supercharger? I'm waiting for cgoeschel to finish installing his. Anyone else doing this setup? I'm hoping it runs cooler and doesn't have this problem.:confused: GGBIW

·
Registered
275 Posts

Yes! Why fight physics?:) GGBIW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts