Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine will sit for a week or week and a half at a time. The truck is so much easier to get around in, I only take the Mustang when I know I'm not going too many different places.
Yep, I'm in the truck if I'm running errands. This GT500 is the first "new" toy car I've ever really owned and it's been an adjustment for me. My toys in the past have been 60's and 70's stuff for the most part. The Roush Mustangs I owned were daily drivers when living in Florida and I still had something older at the same time. I'm still not comfortable taking new iron to cruise ins and stuff. Even though I didn't build the old stuff from the frame up I still redid interiors, trunks, suspension and stuff. Now, about all I can say about this Mustang is that I cleaned it. Whoop de do...

This GT500 has so few miles on it, I'm not about to use it for daily stuff anyway. I'm sure I'll be turning it into something else in the future. I just don't have a clue what it would be at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I'm more of the kind that looks at my GT500 as a treasure that should be cared for. I believe in driving your cars, whatever they may be. If you buy it, drive it. But the upcoming purchase of my GT500 is a holy grail for this guy since I have wanted on for some time but couldn't afford it. I want to keep it and pass it down to my kids to hopefully enjoy as much as I plan to. Once I get it, it wont go anywhere. To me it's not just "A Car" it's more of a "Legacy" car. But I do enjoy reading all the remarks.

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
377 Posts
I can understand not driving something...I have never owned more than 3 cars at once, and when I had that many there was inevitably one which never really got driven. If my garage were larger there would be another vehicle in here, I really either want a low mileage Grand National, late model Viper or maybe something like a Gallardo. I suspect you guys with 4+ cars have 1 or 2 that never get driven. I had a 454 SS Chevelle that I put 1200 miles on in 6 years of ownership - with 2 others available, one being a Z06 C6, this was always the car that I'd take occasionally.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've had 4 vehicles a few times but never more than that. And, I drove them a fair amount while I lived in Florida. Now I only have 2 the gt500 and the truck. I may as well be a 1 vehicle family right now.... Sad....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've had 4 vehicles a few times but never more than that. And, I drove them a fair amount while I lived in Florida. Now I only have 2 the gt500 and the truck. I may as well be a 1 vehicle family right now.... Sad....
If I only had the garage space! There is an ACR Viper around the corner from me for sale, I have tried various mental gymnastics to figure out how to fit it...there is no way unless I move my tools, storage shelves and bikes into the house. My Sarasota house has plenty of room since it's a 2.5 car garage, but I won't be moving back there for at least a year, maybe longer. For now, though, :( :unsure: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 Black on order.
68 Posts
If I only had the garage space! There is an ACR Viper around the corner from me for sale, I have tried various mental gymnastics to figure out how to fit it...there is no way unless I move my tools, storage shelves and bikes into the house. My Sarasota house has plenty of room since it's a 2.5 car garage, but I won't be moving back there for at least a year, maybe longer. For now, though, :( :unsure: :rolleyes:
The one car I regret giving up is my '15 Viper GT. If you can afford it, I'd move shit around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great question! My 2009 GT500 (Super Snake built to 850 hp) had 8 owners before me at 34,000 miles. I don't get it! I love this car and plan to keep it forever (until I can no longer drive.... then my two sons will have to figure out who gets it). I think that Shelby Mustangs will always appreciate and will someday be really valuable. It's a piece of history that I've always wanted....and as a bonus.. it's a blast to drive!

·
Registered
2011 GT500, 99% track car. Full Cortex suspension FR 750hp kit, Cooling & brake upgrades + more
301 Posts
I ordered/purchased my '11 so I'm what sounds like a rare, multi (10) year single owner. It is a dedicated track car that I rarely drive on the street but does barely pass reg and smog. I might start doing a little more street driving though as I really enjoy the car. 2020 waxed most track events and that was my primary time in the car. Need to make up for lost time. Track day next week @ Laguna Seca so I will take a couple drives first to get back in the zone.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think one segment figured Ford would only make the car for a few years and bought them as investments only to see Ford produce them for 8 years with at least 5,000 units each model year while eclipsing the previous model.
You have any idea what a 2016+ GT350R is worth now? $$$

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,917 Posts
You have any idea what a 2016+ GT350R is worth now? $$$
Nope, no idea. Apparently the older GT500s are seeing a jump in this market too.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
295 Posts
Mine had several owners too and got it with 3500 miles. It moved through a few different dealers and looks like it got the title changed as it moved to NJ and then back to PA. As long as the car and details all check out, I wouldn't hesitate. Having a friend who's a car buyer for a large used car dealership chain around here told me he see this situation a lot especially with specialty cars like this.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmm, well I owned my 68 coupe (J-code) for 30 years. My 06 GT for 9 years. Ignoring the various boring commuters. I'd say this GT500 was overdue. Seriously, I earned it and more. Not afraid to say it.

·
Registered
2013 GT 500
120 Posts
Sometimes you have to look at the chain of custody and some states rules. For example owner 1 buys car, trades car in some states may allow the dealer to be a transfer or they have to take ownership, thats owner two, then it goes to an auction house, and a dealer takes possesion thats owner 3, and I buy it, I am owner 4. I have looked at a lot of CarFaxs and often times you find 2-3 hands on it in a matter of a few months.

Other than that you have some basic reasons.

1. Lots of guys trade yearly when a new one comes out or trade up when a new model design.
2. These cars are really two people cars and dont work well in winter and other harsh environments. Just bought mine off some kid that bought in the spring and winter was coming. Basically they are toys and really dont fit the bill of being utilitarian.
3. Honestly lots of guys can not afford these, they really cant. Some outright can't and do it anyways, but you usually see them keep maybe a year after they figure out big payments, insurance etc just isnt smart. Some can afford it on paper but logically and realistically cant and you see them dump them after 2 maybe 3 years. My guess is its 50/50 including people on this forum that can afford the car or cant
4. People just dont like it, I have had vehicles like this before and they just get sent down the road.

·
Registered
2013 GT 500
120 Posts
Great question! My 2009 GT500 (Super Snake built to 850 hp) had 8 owners before me at 34,000 miles. I don't get it! I love this car and plan to keep it forever (until I can no longer drive.... then my two sons will have to figure out who gets it). I think that Shelby Mustangs will always appreciate and will someday be really valuable. It's a piece of history that I've always wanted....and as a bonus.. it's a blast to drive!
\
They are not appreciating in general right now. COVID has had a spike, but in general they are not appreciating, they are a depreciating asset. Cars dont start going up till about 30 years. The problem here is there are still lots of them so only time will tell if the shelby is worth something, and then it comes down to specific year, color, options etc. If I had a crystal ball the year Shelby came back which was 2007 might be one to sit on, other than that 13-14 will probably be the others. With that said we really wont know for another 15 years or so.

Keep a car forever as a family treasure thats cool, but as investment is really a bad idea unless you know what you are doing, and in that case there are lots of factors, and most people that make money doing this dont buy new and let it sit for 30-40 years to find out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would never ever ever buy a car as an investment. you might as well play poker and have more fun doing it. put your money instead in a rocket fund like fkdnx and you can buy a car off of the proceeds every year or two.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, I'll shut up now. My car has been sitting under a cover for over a month. No interest in driving it at all since the weather is still hot and humid. Hopefully we'll get some relief here in Florida in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2021 GT500
456 Posts
I go through cars like I change socks. I’m in that constant search for one that just grabs me and says, “Hey, dumbass, are you finally gonna keep me?”. Oddly enough, I’ve owned my 2001 E39 M5 for 2 years and it’s the longest I’ve ever held onto a car for the last 15 years or so. Every time the thought of selling it crosses my mind, I think of the days I spent dropping the tranny to replace the clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft. Then the days before that rebuilding the suspension, brake lines, calipers, etc. So there is an attachment just from blood, busted knuckles, and a gazillion curse words.

These new ultra high horsepower cars need nothing. They are so complete out of the box all you have to do is hop in and drive until the next orgasm. Once you get bored you look for the next “hot thing”…..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts