Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still researching for my GT500 and seem to come across an interesting item. There seems to be a large number of GT500's that go through a lot of owners, even those with low miles. Saw some with under 10K and had three owners. The turnover on some is interesting. Are they giving them up for health reasons(saw some of those), insurance cost, cost of gas and maintenance, too much horsepower, or spousal request? It's probably yes to all, but was wondering if the group knew of someone who gave theirs up and why.

Just wondered what the group thought was on the subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
748 Posts
Some people just buy/sell cars like they change underwear. Some probably got flipped recently cuz of the increase in prices that they are getting recently. I'll never understand it, but it's just a game for some people.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,898 Posts
I think one segment figured Ford would only make the car for a few years and bought them as investments only to see Ford produce them for 8 years with at least 5,000 units each model year while eclipsing the previous model.

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
120 Posts
Before buying my ‘12 GT500 I looked at a ‘16 Hellcat Challenger 6spd. It’s history revealed that it changed hands 6 times before arriving at the used car lot it was sitting on. Another thing I didn’t care for was that it lived in Alaska it’s entire life and I’m in Louisiana. Upon rolling up to the dealer to at least give it a look, someone was buying it. I gave it a look over anyhow. It could of just been guys who wanted a toy for a short time and moved on to the next guy. According to the carfax, the mileage between owners didn’t even warrant an oil change.. the whole thing just said “don’t buy it”. It could have been a well maintained car from day one but people who jump ship so quickly tend to not care about it since they’ll pass it off to the next guy.

the ‘12 that did buy was a one owner. It was originally sold new in the same town it lived all its life. Older couple owned it and traded it in on a Jeep Gladiator. To reinforce that story, theIr insurance card was still in the glove box and they had insurance thru AARP. The miles were super low (12k at the time I bought it). I probably paid 3-4K more than typical pricing but between the options, history, and mileage… it was worth it to me. It doesn’t get the fame of the 13-14 cars but it’s a sweet ride with lots of potential.

sorry for the lengthy reply but cars like these tend to change hands for various reasons.

Guy buys car and wife finds out after the fact and the word divorce comes up.

Guy buys car and realized it’s too much power than they can handle.

Guy buys car and realized that it’s not what he expected to be.

Guy buys car and cant drive it as much as they wanted, planned, or intended to..

And that’s just the legitimate and understandable reasons. It’s a roll of the dice buying a used performance car..

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500
279 Posts
With 2 dealership owners in the family we have come to realize the car culture is over, people think of cars as appliances there just for getting you some ware. Also Banks and Lenders hand out money with no down payments, And some really do not care if the person can pay the loan back. They repo the car and sell it again and again. If you recently purchased a car with a trade in the dealer takes his phone out of his pocket and scans the Vin, the program tells him what to pay for the car, it keeps track of the daily auction sale values.. He takes the car to the local Auction house and makes 30-60% return on the car Better than the Stock Market.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,287 Posts
My 2008 Vert
I bought the thing in Oct 2014 with 1526 miles on it from the original and only owner. Six years old, with only ~1500 miles and ALL original, the top had only put down once and that was at the dealer when he bought it to 'demonstrate' how to put the top down. He had a New Dodge SRT and his wife a New Cadillac, with just a two car garage. Neither wanted either car to sit outside. I saw it sitting in the garage when on a walk in the neighborhood, stopped to just chat with him, he mentioned he was going to sell it, I jokingly asked "how much". The next morning it was mine, I really didn't want it. I got it to flip because there was money to be made on it. I had not even driven it!
I have actually since spent more on Mods on it than I bought it for, the car was fun to drive so I kept it. It is now insanely fun to drive, simply a toy, so far less than 25k miles on it but all 'fun' miles. When and if it becomes Not Fun it will be gone, but I do not see that happening in the future. So it sits until called on to have fun with it. It is one of about ten vehicles here to drive, most all for differing 'fun factors'...
I can see and understand that many find these financially not practical to keep and to fill a determinate amount of time of ownership and then choose to move on for a myriad of reasons. Most all have their story and reason for ownership and for trading/selling. I am now retired and settled with what I comfortably have with no 'need or cause' to sell or trade the 500.
Being that I am the second owner does make it a 'used car' and puts it into the classification of why you are curious as to "Why so many owners"... Now you know of just one persons reason.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
These cars are not necessity items... they are luxury items. People buy them, play for a bit and then grow tired of the payment.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
142 Posts
For some people it's a bucket list thing...or it's a fad, or it's a "lets return to our HS days, and have some smoking loud fun like the Woodward Ave era". Once they realize it involves work and care, most tend to exit satge left. The guy I bought mine from put a 1000 miles on it over 6 years - and said to me "I have no idea why I bought this thing, please get it out of my garage". Soem people just buy cars with no rwal idea of what to do with them, so they it. It's a mixed bag for sure.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts
Sorry, my spelling is better than that last post of mine !!! I really did finish middle school...
You can always click the 3 dots and edit your posts.

Reactions: DKnight

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,367 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
376 Posts
Mine had FIVE owners! All of them kept the car with fairly low mileage except the last bozo (who was what looks like a traveling nurse of all things). I've fixed a lot of things, the car is now almost perfect.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
827 Posts
They are probably somehow related to me. ;)

I've gone through a lot of cars and trucks over the years. I have yet to own or find THEE ONE that is my dream machine. I don't think I really have one. I guess I like to experience owning a variety of cars and trucks rather than limiting myself to one forever....
So someone will buy my GT500 at some point and there will be very few miles on it and I'll be on to the next vehicle that catches my fancy.

Reactions: BrakeFade

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
192 Posts
These cars are not necessity items... they are luxury items. People buy them, play for a bit and then grow tired of the payment.
Exactly and most do not drive them often or at all. Heck, I have not driven mine in nearly two weeks! ...not by choice, launch of my Python programming course and weather have kept me from taking mine out.

Reactions: DKnight and Goose17
1 - 20 of 39 Posts