Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Shelby plaque signed by the man! Went to Lowe's to get the Krylon 1309 per Prez's rec. Well, Lowe's doesn't carry Krylon anymore but had Rustoleum clear with uv protectant. So I wrote my name on an aluminum paint can top with a sharpie and then sprayed a heavy coat to check it. Worked great! Then put a light coat on the Shelby plaque and left it. Well it works great on the signature but f**ked up the blue paint on the top. Spent an hour pushing the crinkled paint down and hope when I find the Krylon it will mask it enough to where it isn't noticeable. I guess my only other option is to send it back and ask them to repaint it? Options/opinions anyone....Prez where do I get the Krylon?:flame:

Brent

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Walmart carries Krylon and some hobbie or craft stores.

Why are you clearing it, does your car sit outside a lot?

I think those cans of clear just turn yellow and peel after 6-7 years.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walmart carries Krylon and some hobbie or craft stores.

Why are you clearing it, does your car sit outside a lot?

I think those cans of clear just turn yellow and peel after 6-7 years.
I was just doing it to protect the signature....hindsight I would have just left it and only cleaned it with a damp rag & water.:boohoo:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I was just doing it to protect the signature....hindsight I would have just left it and only cleaned it with a damp rag & water.:boohoo:
I lightly wipe mine w/ Protectall, it has a UV protectorant built into it and it's obviously clear.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes with the paint. You're going to be looking at that plaque a lot - make sure you're happy with it when you install it.

You can find Krylon 1309 at JoAnn's or Michael's craft stores.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear of your woes with the paint. You're going to be looking at that plaque a lot - make sure you're happy with it when you install it.

You can find Krylon 1309 at JoAnn's or Michael's craft stores.
Thank's, I don't think we have those stores here. Maybe wally-world will have it...checking tommorrow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yep, that's Rustoleum. I hate the stuff. You may have to find someone who is really good at modeling and ask them to touch up the blue paint for you. You'll probably have to remove any wrinkled paint and then have it repainted. A good modeler should be able to do that with no sweat. It just takes good eyes and a steady hand :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I finally got my Shelby plaque signed by the man! Went to Lowe's to get the Krylon 1309 per Prez's rec. Well, Lowe's doesn't carry Krylon anymore but had Rustoleum clear with uv protectant. So I wrote my name on an aluminum paint can top with a sharpie and then sprayed a heavy coat to check it. Worked great! Then put a light coat on the Shelby plaque and left it. Well it works great on the signature but f**ked up the blue paint on the top. Spent an hour pushing the crinkled paint down and hope when I find the Krylon it will mask it enough to where it isn't noticeable. I guess my only other option is to send it back and ask them to repaint it? Options/opinions anyone....Prez where do I get the Krylon?:flame:

Brent
Sorry to hear about your problem. That sucks. I can't remember exactly where I got the Krylon, but it was at a hobby store of some sort. I think it was Michaels.

·
Registered
298 Posts
a simple piece of clear contact paper (peels on and off easily without sticking to any area) would do the trick. I have used it for years on my cars to protect window stickers, signatures, decals, etc and doesnt yellow or fade. 3m makes it....and with contact paper, you can wipe right over it, clean it, etc without affecting the signature....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the krylon 1309 at Michaels and used the blunt end of a tothpick to push the paint down...hopefully a couple of coats will diminish any imperfections. If not I may try to find a real good modeler (thanks Jon for the idea).

Brent

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, tried the krylon 1309 and same result as the rustoleum....beginning to wonder if it is defective blue paint on the Shelby imprint? Thinking about calling shelby and seeing if they can repair it for me.:boohoo:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, tried the krylon 1309 and same result as the rustoleum....beginning to wonder if it is defective blue paint on the Shelby imprint? Thinking about calling shelby and seeing if they can repair it for me.:boohoo:
Rustoleum and Krylon don't necessarily mix. I think once you let Rustoleum dry past an hour or so, you have to let it sit for several days before a recoat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rustoleum and Krylon don't necessarily mix. I think once you let Rustoleum dry past an hour or so, you have to let it sit for several days before a recoat.
I used the Rustoleum it came out great - at first. After a month it got small cracks under the surface. It looks fine most of the time but if the light hits it just right it looks like crap. Don't know what to do. Think I'll wait to the fall to deal with it too busy driving the car; FINALLY nice weather here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts