Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering a few things about the hand held tuners. My previous cobra had a chip tune so haven't hand-held-tuned a car i owned yet. I'm looking into buying an XCAL3 as the tuner i'll be going to uses SCT.

Now what I'm wondering is, I know with the Xcal there are a lot of features, some of which include adjusting speedo for new tire sizes and rear end gear ratio changes....

My question is: If I dyno tune the car after putting a CAI and pulley on my 2007 GT500 lets say, and they use slot 1 of the SCT XCAL3 for the dyno tune and load it into the car....IF in 3 months later, I change the rear end gears and want to use the XCAL to recalibrate the computer to know I have 3.73s in the rear now does it overwrite the dyno tune??? or just add-ON to the computer tune (ie: not affecting the dyno tune, and I can still change peramiters like gears and tire ratios at will).

ALSO: Where is the ECU/PCM (computer) on the Shelby GT500?? I think i need the code off of it when ordering an XCAL right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just was wondering a few things about the hand held tuners. My previous cobra had a chip tune so haven't hand-held-tuned a car i owned yet. I'm looking into buying an XCAL3 as the tuner i'll be going to uses SCT.

Now what I'm wondering is, I know with the Xcal there are a lot of features, some of which include adjusting speedo for new tire sizes and rear end gear ratio changes....

My question is: If I dyno tune the car after putting a CAI and pulley on my 2007 GT500 lets say, and they use slot 1 of the SCT XCAL3 for the dyno tune and load it into the car....IF in 3 months later, I change the rear end gears and want to use the XCAL to recalibrate the computer to know I have 3.73s in the rear now does it overwrite the dyno tune??? or just add-ON to the computer tune (ie: not affecting the dyno tune, and I can still change peramiters like gears and tire ratios at will).

ALSO: Where is the ECU/PCM (computer) on the Shelby GT500?? I think i need the code off of it when ordering an XCAL right?

I don't know that info either, but I think if you called Evolution Performance or the shop you bought the tuner from, they would steer you in the right direction. I have just ordered Evolution Performance's Stage II kit, but just plan to stick with that, so I don't have to worry about changing the tune for additional mods.

However, from what I've read on some of these forums, Ford has limited top speed of the cars to something like 155. I'm hoping to run the Maxton mile in the near future and want to see what the car will do up to 6000 rpm...so if anyone can answer this, I'd appreciate it. Someone with the smarts - will increased HP give me a higher top end or is it going to be dependant on gearing?

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Can't speak to the 3, but on the 2 you can change parameters (timing, gears, tire rpm, etc) and "save" when exiting. It doesn't overwrite your saved tune, but modifys it for that particular load.

The computer is just to the right side of the fuse block (under hood) as you look on the left of the engine bay. There's a small paper sticker on it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a 2 if you can find one and save some headaches.

As for top speed, it's electronically controlled and can be bypassed with a custom tune.

bj

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see a place selling the Xcal2. Why is the 2 better than the 3 ??? That seems odd to say

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The initial release of the Xcal3's had stability issues. Myself and many others have the Xcal3's with no issues.

No codes off the ECU are required for the XCal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No problems with my x3

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
You should be able to find an xcal 2 used as all the new ones are the 3s.Your tuner will be able to unlock it and add the programs for your set up.I have both-The xcal 2 for the GT-500 and an xcal 3 for my truck.You must be talking about along time ago with a chip-I have used handheld tuners since 97.Either offers easy access to change the parameters you mentioned and most have found it best to order a "Stage" Kit from a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the 3, and a friend of mine has the 2, they are virtually identical in abilities, just different cases.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
You can make the changes on the X3 no problem. I just had to change tire size when I got my new wheels, and my tune is still in. Before you load the tune, it asks you if there are any modifications you need to make. Hit yes, and you can change your ratios, whether it's gears, tires, anything really. It's really nice compared to the chip days.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts

JINXER,
Here is a link to the SCT site. Look under the picture of the X3 there is a link to a pdf file of the owner's manual. There is some pretty interesting reading there.
http://www.sctflash.com/X3.php

If that doesn't work here is a direct link to the pdf file.
http://www.sctflash.com/PDF/3000-3015%20small.pdf

If you consider buying "used" be sure to read the section about being locked to a VIN and how to change vehicles (only 5 changes allowed then it's locked)

I have one coming, but not here yet so can't give any personal experience/comments. I've been in fairly close communication with "subsailor" and he was very informative and helped with my decisions; I ordered the LFP stage 2 kit.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts