Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on a noise that has developed on my car. Was into the dealer for a coolant flush and I don't remember the noise being there beforehand, when I picked it up it's emitting a sort of whirring whining sound at idle and I believe it gets worse at speed. I also hear a bit of a whistling sound almost like a turbo that is spooling up at highway speed (not sure if it's related). I posted 3 videos that will hopefully make it easy to hear, fortunately I recorded one when I first got the vehicle where the noise isn't there. Thank you so much for any help and or advice.

Edit: unfortunately I can't link to the videos as this is my first post. So not sure what to do

normal

noise

light rev

edit 2: looks like it didn't like me embedding the links. Thanks Goose

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,388 Posts
Hey all,

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on a noise that has developed on my car. Was into the dealer for a coolant flush and I don't remember the noise being there beforehand, when I picked it up it's emitting a sort of whirring whining sound at idle and I believe it gets worse at speed. I also hear a bit of a whistling sound almost like a turbo that is spooling up at highway speed (not sure if it's related). I posted 3 videos that will hopefully make it easy to hear, fortunately I recorded one when I first got the vehicle where the noise isn't there. Thank you so much for any help and or advice.

Edit: unfortunately I can't link to the videos as this is my first post. So not sure what to do
First off, welcome to the forum! Sorry you are having issues. As for videos... upload them to YouTube and copy/paste the links here.

In the meantime, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,388 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Goose. Will drop a msg in the new members section as well
I definitely hear it. I am assuming your power steering reservoir is not low on fluid...?

If your power steering fluid is good and it’s not the power steering pump itself, it’s a bearing somewhere. Paging @KodiakMustang who was just dealing with this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power steering is full and looks to be the right color. If it were bearing noise wouldn't there be a squeak or Rattle as well?

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,243 Posts
That sure sounds like the power steering. I doesn't sound like a pulley bearing or a bearing inside the snout of the blower. But to be a little more sure, do the screwdriver or pvc pipe trick by putting one end on the snout of the blower and the other end to your ear. If you hear the noise coming from there, you probably have a bearing inside on its way out. I have a bearing that is making noise in the snout of my Gen 2, but it isn't as loud as yours nor is it the same kind of sound.

You could use the pvc pipe or a stethoscope to listen to your power steering pump also. To me that sound really sounds like a power steering pump groaning.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,609 Posts
Wonder if the dealer doing the coolant flush changed the power steering fluid? Wrong fluid?

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Wonder if the dealer doing the coolant flush changed the power steering fluid? Wrong fluid?
One would certainly hope not, but heck, anything is possible. Especially since that sounds so much like a failing PS pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. Whereabouts is the power steering pump located. I seemed to have isolated it to this area here. The one circled in the second picture. I'm assuming this is the idler pulley? I tried turning the wheel with the car idling to see if i could hear any change in noise and it didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Yup, that's one of the idler pulleys. The power steering pump is over on the other side (driver's side) of the engine right behind the coolant reservoir on that side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that's one of the idler pulleys. The power steering pump is over on the other side (driver's side) of the engine right behind the coolant reservoir on that side.
Is it possible that the idler pulley would make a noise like that? I'd never guess

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Is it possible that the idler pulley would make a noise like that? I'd never guess
I wouldn't have guessed that based on the sound, but I guess it's possible if the bearings are really bad. If you relieve the tension on the blower belt and slide it off the blower pulley, you can see if that pulley is shot. Instead of me typing a step-by-step on how to do this, do a search for replacing the blower belt. Sometimes it's call the a/c belt too because the air conditioner is all the way on the bottom of the passenger side, and it's driven by the same belt that the blower is driven on.

Here's a thread that should help: Supercharger belt install

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
596 Posts
I’m dealing with the same situation, have you found issue? I replaced alt,both belts and pulleys are good. I’m starting to go with PS pump. My nose isn’t as bad at idle but once I rev it, gets loud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m dealing with the same situation, have you found issue? I replaced alt,both belts and pulleys are good. I’m starting to go with PS pump. My nose isn’t as bad at idle but once I rev it, gets loud
Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I have a feeling the noise is something other than pulley, doesn't sound like a bad bearing to me. Will update as soon as I find anything out. Let me know as well if it ends up being the ps pump. Mind posting a vid if you get a chance as well?

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
@marooned, If you were local, I'd be tempted to make a beer wager with you that it's the ps pump. Have you tried turning your steering wheel while the engine is running to see if the groaning noise increases or changes in tone. Don't know why I didn't suggest that before, but that would certainly clue you in that it's the steering pump because nothing else is loaded by turning the steering wheel. The 2011 and up guys don't have to worry about this because they've got a more fancy steering system that doesn't require a ps pump. Those whimps! :)

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
596 Posts
Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I have a feeling the noise is something other than pulley, doesn't sound like a bad bearing to me. Will update as soon as I find anything out. Let me know as well if it ends up being the ps pump. Mind posting a vid if you get a chance as well?
Mine does in only when I rev it.makes slick noise on first start aswell and goes away.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Mine does in only when I rev it.makes slick noise on first start aswell and goes away.
That definitely sounds different than marooned's. Doesn't sound like a ps pump.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,388 Posts
That definitely sounds different than marooned's. Doesn't sound like a ps pump.
I agree... it almost sounds like a high pitched vibration, but listening it through my iPad speaker is probably different than listening it in person. I’d use the rod or PVC pipe to the ear trick and move it around while someone revs the engine to find the source.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts