Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Placeholder.

There are a variety of things that are not in the instructions and a bunch of stuff that's in there isn't always applicable. I've installed a TON of superchargers and this one SHOULDN'T have been that much different. It wouldn't have been IF it was done on a completely stock car. I'll detail the differences and work arounds soon.

bj

·
Registered
661 Posts
Placeholder.

There are a variety of things that are not in the instructions and a bunch of stuff that's in there isn't always applicable. I've installed a TON of superchargers and this one SHOULDN'T have been that much different. It wouldn't have been IF it was done on a completely stock car. I'll detail the differences and work arounds soon.

bj
Interested in seeing what you ran into BJ, as I have a very similar setup as you. I’m thinking of a Gen3 Whipple myself and have heard there will be issues keeping my EGR with the Fore fuel rails, among other things.

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP blower, 2.8” pulley, 677WHP/651TQ
171 Posts
Any more info to this as I’m thinking seriously about a 2.9L Whipple?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,680 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP blower, 2.8” pulley, 677WHP/651TQ
171 Posts
Thanks Goose!! That’s a very well done write-up! I’m hoping to find a lot more useful info on the site, especially about what mods need to be performed prior to installing a Whipple 2.9L, as that is what I have decided to get.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,680 Posts
Thanks Goose!! That’s a very well done write-up! I’m hoping to find a lot more useful info on the site, especially about what mods need to be performed prior to installing a Whipple 2.9L, as that is what I have decided to get.
There are no absolute “must do” mods prior to a Whipple installation, but if you are just adding the blower, you’ll need to increase your fuel delivery. I used a complete kit that had everything needed. Of course once you add more power... if you have sticky tires, you’ll want to add a 1-piece drive shaft. If you live in a warm climate, consider adding a twin-fan heat exchanger. Lower control arms are a good mod as well as a passenger side oil catch can. These are all optional mods. The only mod I think is truely a “must do” is to add stripes to any stripe delete car! :grin:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Goose, I saw from your write-up that you bought a kit. I’m looking at just buying the SC as I have the JLT 123mm CAI, Ford Racing twin 65mm throttle body and the VMP triple pass dual fan HE. I have the 2.5” pulley on the stock blower as well and a new belt. I tried the 90mm idler pulley that came with the VMP pulley kit but I think I’m getting belt slip even though I am running a new Ford Belt around the SC. My auxiliary pulley arrived yesterday. All that with a Pro Dyno, based in SC, tune on 93.

And I do have stripes on my Kona Blue 2010 GT500!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts