Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased the TVS upgrade and now I need to decide which tune to purchase. The VMP and the Evolution tunes both claim similar HP and torque gains and I am having a tough time deciding which one to choose. My question to those of you out there with these tunes is what made you decide one way or the other.

I apologize for yet another thread but I would really like to pick your brains.

Thanks in advance.

Stew

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Are you considering adding a different throttle body any time soon?That could play a big part in your decision,With a mono blade its Jon Lund without question.Remember you are not just buying a tune you are creating a relationship for future mods-Just look around here-The mod disease is a pandemic!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have purchased the TVS upgrade and now I need to decide which tune to purchase. The VMP and the Evolution tunes both claim similar HP and torque gains and I am having a tough time deciding which one to choose. My question to those of you out there with these tunes is what made you decide one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Stew
I'm a newb, but went w/Evolution Performance. From the threads I've read, it looks as if John Lund used to work at Evolution Performance, but moved out on his own. The reason I went w/Evolution is for two similar reasons: 1. Evolution seems to have been around and working as a team, much longer than John Lund...and I'm not saying anything bad here. Just that you've got a group of guys that know what the other is doing and they've been doing it for a while. 2. It also appears that Evolution offers quite a bit more services. I'm sure John will offer similar services, but I don't see them on his website yet.

In short, Evolution seems to have more experience as a group and offers more services...nothing about the tune, as they are probably the same.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Forget about Evoloution. Jon Lund is the man. By the way Jon never worked for Evo., just wrote their tunes. Evolution great at sales but sucks for customer support!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I consider EVO and VMP to be equal in sales, service, and GT500 tuning. But at some point you have to select only one. I used the EVO 91 octane tune.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Forget about Evoloution. Jon Lund is the man. By the way Jon never worked for Evo., just wrote their tunes. Evolution great at sales but sucks for customer support!
concur...

OD..you being new gives you the opportunity to not know EVERYTHING...that we do, and i will not discuss it here. Jon doesnt post much on his site. He works mainly through email and phone. As mentioned, he developed all the tunes Evo uses. Evo has a great team and they work well putting these cars together, but it Jon's tunes that makes them run like they do. Jon does hundreds of hours of datalogging to define and refine his tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
In considering who's tune to buy, what are the prices generally charged?

I have heard the $250 number mentioned in regard to Evo tunes and $50 for another (don't remember which).

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Stew
The price for the Evo tune from the Stage II kit was $400.00. I don't know how much a VMP tune costs.

That being said, let me caution you on e-mail tunes....they are not true custom tunes. They are canned tunes that have been tried on many vehicles with the same setup, but do not necessarily meet the fine tuning requirements of "your" vehicle. Keep this in mind, as when you apply the e-mail tune and have your car dyno'd and it doesn't quite meet your expectations or there is still some safe HP left on the table, you'll have to go back to the company that supplied your tune and ask for another. Whether you get charged for it or not, I can't say....but, you will pay for another dyno pull to check that updated tune out.

My personal experience w/Evolution's tune is that it was a decent tune, but according to the shop I took it to for the dyno, the tune left about 30 more rwhp on the table, that could have safely been put in. That would have cost me another $250.00+ for them to fine tune it.

I called Evo and tried to figure out why my tune only came out to about 2/3 of their advertised possible and basically got shunned off. I then sent an e-mail and didn't even get a response...I got a response when I was interested in buying the stage II kit, but not after I purchased it...so take what you will from that.

I can't speak for VMP, but even if they provide an updated tune for your car, you'll still have to pay for dyno time.

My recommendation, if you know of a trustworthy and reputable tuner, is to have them tune it for you. It will be done right the first time and it will more then likely be cheaper.

Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Jon Lund charges $250 for a tune. It includes an initial tune, plus any tweaks he needs to make to dial it in for your car both in your garage and at the dyno shop. He actually gives you two different tunes: one for daily driving, and if you wish, one for race gas or any other condition you may want/need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Evolution will also give you two tunes out of 3 possible every day fuels ...91, 92 & 93 octane. They will also provide a 100 octane tune for an additional $100.00

I've read a couple of bad strings on Evo's service after sales and feel the same now, but I've never read anything bad about Jon Lund.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
as rpretzel said..Jon Lund. Jon only needs to know all the mods you have to give you a good base line tune. Then you need to dyno & datalog the car, forward those results and he'll tweek it in and send you the corrected tune to load up. Each car is different to a degree. He can make it as conservative as you like, or get every ouce of HP out of it. He has his own GT500 he tests and datalogs his tunes on. You will not be disappointed with him. He is a busy man, so be patient. [email protected]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Milez and rpretzel, Jon Lund should send you guys a commission check.

I decided to purchase Jon's tune and I am very satisfied with it. I will have him custom tune it on the dyno next time he comes down here to MD.

Thanks for the advice.

Stew

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

I decided to purchase Jon's tune and I am very satisfied with it. I will have him custom tune it on the dyno next time he comes down here to MD.

Thanks for the advice.

Stew
glad it worked out for you...no doubt it would...let me know when he's plannin to be there...if i dont already....i'll drive up...

·
Registered
83 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Stew
What were your stock numbers and numbers after Jon's tune?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Where is Jon Lund's shop and does he install anything or just tune.

Waiting to get a new TB and would love to have it installed and tuned at the same place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Waiting to get a new TB and would love to have it installed and tuned at the same place.
Jon's shop is just outside of Philadelphia, PA. I spoke with Jon several times and I know that he does not sell any parts and I am not sure if he does any installs, he told me he primarily focuses on tuning these beasts. Milezperhour would probably be able to answer your question better than I. You can always shoot him an e-mail at [email protected]. He answered my e-mail within a couple of hours. Hope that helps.

Stew

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

Jon primarily deals with tunes, but does sell a few products. Not much on installs as he travels quite a bit. He does dyno sessions at various shops. If you want his tunes, just email him a list of all mods, and he'll shoot you the tunes. If you can provide him a datalog of the car, it helps. He's very precise. Certain things he wants to see in the datalogs. Just contact him. Once you have the tunes, just install the TB, load up and go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts