Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need new tires and I don't want to spend a ton but want something decent, I am trying to decide between these two below.

Just the rears need replacing, its a 18x10 in wheel. The front has a 35 profile and the rear currently has a 40 not sure if id have any negative effects from going 35 profile all around. The car is lowered with the cobra jet springs so very low in the front and the rear is not dropped too much.

Also what do you guys think of the Hankook Ventus s1 or noble?

Or the sumitomo z5?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,061 Posts
For those that don’t know, you can click on the user name to see if they have a location in their profile. Marcus hails from Miami.

Marcus, you can get by with any ole summer tire living in Miami. Take a look at Mickey Thompson UHP Street Comps. I ran them for awhile because they were cheap. They have decent traction, better than the Goodyears, but nothing like my R888s.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tim, yeah no snow here just a lot of rain from time to time. Temp dosent get under 45 and it's rare under 60. I will be going to run the 1/8 mile from time to time but daily the car. I just want something versatile that has decent traction low road noise.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I think you're far enough south to forget running an all season. I've had really good results with Michelin in my cars and have been running them pretty much exclusively for the last 15 years. I like the Super Sports for an all around tire. Tire Rack has customer surveys on just about every tire they sell and are a good starting point to finding a tire with the characteristics you want. Here's the survey results for Max Performance Summer Tires. You can also put in the specific tire size to drill down to the tires that fit the size criteria.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
A couple that I’ve had and been happy with are Continental DW & Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Both have better traction than the Goodyear’s. Continentals seemed very quiet (better than the Firestone)

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I'll second the Continental Extreme Contact DW especially since you have a rain factor. They are much cheaper than the Michelin tires, and they are a very good performer especially when you look at their performance in the rain compared to other tires. And yes, like TedShred said, they are a pretty quiet tire too. I'm running them on all four corners of my car, and they were a big improvement over the Goodyear tires they replaced.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
I’ll add to the Conti support. Have them on a different vehicle and have been very pleased with them.

Michelins are great as well imho. That’s typically all I have ever used.

And heard good things about the Firehawks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went with the Falken azenkis 510 from american muscle they had them a bit cheaper than tire rack. Great performance from a $168 tire 285/35/18

Only issue I have is the smaller 35 profile down from a 40 makes the wheel gap a bit larger than i'd like to see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have had Conti’s (still do on my daily but not Mustang) and the Hankooks on wife’s car. The Hankooks weren’t good at all. I’m running a second set of Conti’s on my daily now and just put some on wife’s. Best all around and excellent in the wet.

·
#1 Mike!
8,785 Posts
I'll second the Continental Extreme Contact DW especially since you have a rain factor. They are much cheaper than the Michelin tires, and they are a very good performer especially when you look at their performance in the rain compared to other tires. And yes, like TedShred said, they are a pretty quiet tire too. I'm running them on all four corners of my car, and they were a big improvement over the Goodyear tires they replaced.
I've had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on our other car's (BMW & Fusion) for the past ten years. They are very similar to the DW's and are fantastic in the rain. I use the all seasons as they're necessary here in Md. I think the DW's would be an excellent choice for a year round DD tire in the Miami area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts