Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the first of many upgrades I hope, but I'm considering on which shifter to get the tri-ax shifter or the Pro 5.0 shifter. I loved my MGW shifter in my 04' Cobra but they don't make one for the GT500. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking at the first of many upgrades I hope, but I'm considering on which shifter to get the tri-ax shifter or the Pro 5.0 shifter. I loved my MGW shifter in my 04' Cobra but they don't make one for the GT500. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks
To bad the MGW is not available, its fantastic!

Given your choices, I think I would go with the Pro 5.0. It's construction and design is about as close as you can get to the MGW.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
What about the FRPP shifter?

Oh and Hi everyone, this is my first post.
Welcome blueovalkid.

I have the Steeda and have no complaints.:)

Cal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing about the FRPP shifter it doesn't have the stops for when powershifting. That's why I was looking at the tri-ax shifter or Pro 5.0, because in my 04' cobra the tranny had to get repaired because of shifting it to hard.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shelby has a shifter due out real soon, wonder how that one will be? Don't know if it is their design or manufactured by someone else though.

For guys who have put in a new shifter, how difficult was it? I thought you had to go in from below on these new mustangs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not like the older mustangs, twenty minutes and you’re done. I believe that you have to drop the back of the tranny down because the shifter bolts in from the bottom under the car.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
For guys who have put in a new shifter, how difficult was it? I thought you had to go in from below on these new mustangs.
I have not installed one but you can get a good idea by downloading the installation instructions for the FRPP shifter with the following link:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets.asp

Scroll down to M-7210-B, 2007-08 SVT Mustang Shifter and download or view the instructions. Yes, it looks like a pain and you have to lower the back of the tranny to remove and install the shifter.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I believe the pro 5.0 is identical to the Steeda tri ax.

I have the Steeda in mine for over a year now and it works great. I have added the Hurst stalk and white ball to it and I can tell you it feels like a totally different shifter now . A real old school feel to it ,I love it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
it's not like the older mustangs, twenty minutes and you’re done. I believe that you have to drop the back of the tranny down because the shifter bolts in from the bottom under the car.
True. You have to drop the front end of the drive shaft. Getting the front retainer clips off the stock shifter is more thana 20 min. job itself. they are tough to get to around the huge tranny. You also have to take quite a bit of the console apart to do the inside work. Mine took about 2 hours total. Granted, i took my time. Esp with the console to avoid scratching the interior.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was told by one of the guys at Shelby their shifter is all theirs, and will be patented soon. His pitch was so good, I have decided to wait until spring when it is due out to make a decision

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told by one of the guys at Shelby their shifter is all theirs, and will be patented soon. His pitch was so good, I have decided to wait until spring when it is due out to make a decision
The picture and description in the Shelby catalog looked nice. I'm not totally unhappy with the stock shifter, so I think I will wait until I see some reviews of the shelby shifter or even wait until MGW makes one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have the Steeda Tri and like it. Here's the handle that I used.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts