Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before just not sure if anything new is out there. "taking car in next week" for a few things + TSB or ?? not sure if it will qualify as it doesn't grind in gears, etc.. after I want to get some sound (exhaust) from car, I don't mind a little loud as I don't listen to radio much and live in the boonies, my Cobra replica with side pipes is extremely loud so I am use to it.
I plan on leaving cats on and using axle back only, also plan to go 2.6 pulley, idler arm, C&L intake, SCT3 tuner,etc.. frankly I am getting tired of the boring sound car emits, sounds like a kitten I want a tiger..lol

Mufflers must be stainless steel and I prefer rolled edge tips & lighter weight than stock, I would consider buying mufflers slightly used from a forum member as long as they are in excellent shape.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those Corsa's look nice, like the tips and no drone a bonus, a little pricey though at $749+ but what do I know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You will get a hundred opinions, all from owners touting their muffler as the one you should get. Search on YouTube for sound clips and go from there.

I have the Ford Racing SGTs, which I bought used (40 miles) for about $300. I'd not buy any muffler set new with so many used sets for sale for a song.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have listen to youtube sound clips and they all sound decent compared to stock and it's not below me to buy used.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have listen to youtube sound clips and they all sound decent compared to stock and it's not below me to buy used.
Maybe some members local to you can hook you up with an in-person listen. There were some clips up of the KRs as well on the svt site.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We don't need no stinken mufflers.......

SLP Loudmouth pipes and tips sound GREAT on the GT500 with stock cats. Much less expensive, NO drone and great SS double wall tips. They sound nothing like when installed on a GT so look for GT500 specific sound clips.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No beating the KR exhaust. But good luck getting them. Directional sound, no interior noise, no drone, and just flat-out awesome.

But if you just want "loud" SLP Loudmouths are loud.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the info, I will go to the regular monthly Palm Beach Mustang Club meeting tomorrow if weather is decent, hopefully there will be a few with different exhaust systems for comparision, not sure if any GT500's will be there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry but SLP Loudmouths are NOT loud on a GT500. I park in an underground parking garage of a professional building and the car has just a nice rumble, no loud or obnoxious crackle or pops at all. Very smooth and nice sound. They are a bit loud when first started cold until the cats light off but unless I really blip the throttle in the first 16 seconds of a cold start, that is never heard. You really need to hear a car with these pipes installed. On a GT they are LOUD on a GT500 they are not. Very different sound.

I for one did not think the KR sounded all that good. Better than the stock GT500 for sure but not even as good as a ShelbyGT. Surely not worth the price of admission they are currently fetching.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Borla Axle backs, nice sound, not too loud, directional, sort of, and only a little bit of drone at around 2K RPM, which is rare for any length of time in my car. ;) I picked them up off a friend for $200 bucks, he had them on for about 3 months, went to the SLPs, got burned out on those and just installed the Corsa's, which are very nice I have to say. Probably my next set will be the Corsa's or Bassini's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry but SLP Loudmouths are NOT loud on a GT500. I park in an underground parking garage of a professional building and the car has just a nice rumble, no loud or obnoxious crackle or pops at all. Very smooth and nice sound. They are a bit loud when first started cold until the cats light off but unless I really blip the throttle in the first 16 seconds of a cold start, that is never heard. You really need to hear a car with these pipes installed. On a GT they are LOUD on a GT500 they are not. Very different sound.

I for one did not think the KR sounded all that good. Better than the stock GT500 for sure but not even as good as a ShelbyGT. Surely not worth the price of admission they are currently fetching.
Sorry, but your definition of loud doesn't match up to most it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJaDVtBHpJg

That is ridiculously loud. And you cannot hear the supercharger at all... so yes, it is loud.

And they don't sound half as good as the KR exhaust <---- That was a personal opinion. You should try clarifying that in your posts too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is something VERY different about the car in that video vs mine. Sounds like the cats are gone but can't be sure.

The SLPs alone with stock cats and x pipe do NOT sound like that. Course its pretty hard to judge the sound of an exhaust from a YT clip too. And you can assuredly hear my supercharger over the exhaust when the throttle is open.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
Haha, heard the radar detector starting up... The Corsas sound nice. Do you have the cats installed? I want to go catless, and so far, the Bassani's seem to have the best set up for that. Unfortunately, I'm poor until property tax season passes, so I have some time to think.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just got my car a few days ago. I returned my leased '06 GT 4 months early and transferred the Corsa exhaust to the Shelby. It's interesting how different the same exhaust system sounds on the two cars. At idle there isn't much difference but running through the gears the Shelby has a much higher pitch, almost like a Ferrari. I assume this is due to the X-pipe vs. the H-pipe on the GT.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Absolutely love my SLP loudmouths also...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts