Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have Magnaflow exhaust on my F250 (with a 5.4) and i like the sound. but for my Shelby i want a more aggressive sound. what is the difference between H pipe and X pipe? are Mac exhaust any good?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a banks system on my F-350 and like you I wanted a more aggressive sound for my gt500. I looked around and borla seemed like a good choice....apparently I didnt do enough research because this was the result....

I like borla as a company but this particular system didnt offer the results I was looking for.

Moral of the story, since exhaust sound is so subjective... do TONS of research on what sound you want. Youtube is a decent resource (check out the links below). Also run a search on the forums...the whole "exhaust" topic has been discussed quite a bit.

I have heard several people here say they really like the macboom tubes, another brand you might want to look into is SLP loudmouths if you want something REALLY loud. Muffler delete systems are generally lighter and less expensive, too.

As far as H / X-pipe goes....the KR has a H-pipe with KR mufflers and that is a very popular setup that people seem to like. I dont know the technical difference between the two styles but from what Ive read / heard... H-pipes give off a slightly deeper tone...again, very subjective.

If you dont live in california your options broaden as to what you can do to make your car sound more aggressive I.e. cats, headers, camshaft kits etc....whether or not they change the sound to your liking is again, very subjective.

The best thing to do is go to a car show / mustang gathering and listen to different systems until you find something you like....your ears wont lie to you.

Ive asked the same question you did and some people mentioned they went through 2-4 systems until they found the one they liked.

best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear what you are saying. everything is subjective, i guess. but im more curious about the difference between the H and X pipe. im assuming the H pipe would be more of a chambered sound, while the x pipe would be more direct. is there any performance difference between the two?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Again, this is from what I have read, but there might be a ~5-10hp difference between the two, with the x-pipe giving more hp. I dont have dyno results or anything to back that up though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you really want an aggressive sound for your shelby go with headers, 3 inch catted x pipe, and kr mufflers. I have kooks headers and that combo sounds good, no drone and will turn some heads. Without the cats I believe it would be too loud. I would not want my car any louder than it is now. The HP gains are minimal, I gained 10 HP with the whole setup but it was well worth the money to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
what 08shelbygt500vert said :)

I love my SLP loudmouths. Easy install, inexpensive and sound Awesome!

When you click on the link above, let it play, then when the options open below
the screen after playing, click on the 2nd link to get a 'drive-by' of them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive Got Some Slp Loumouths On The Way, Ill Post Some Vids Once I Get Them Installed. Its Going To Be With The Stock Manifold And X-pipe Tho.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Again, this is from what I have read, but there might be a ~5-10hp difference between the two, with the x-pipe giving more hp. I dont have dyno results or anything to back that up though.
Yes X-pipes do make slightly more power due to the exhaust pulse/scavenging effect, but nothing noticable on a 500 hp car.

On a side note, I LOVE my KRs. Best exhaust note I've heard for the GT500 IMO. I have the stock X-pipe. I've never heard the H-pipe configuration in person so I can't comment on it. From what I've heard on sound clips, the X and H sound almost the same.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im interested in the loudmouths. what are they like when in the car with the windows rolled up? i like my tunes so i dont want too much residual noise, but i do like loud pipes (my Harley is very loud, neighbors love me!). are they like the glass packs of the old days? has anyone tried the SSS exhaust?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes X-pipes do make slightly more power due to the exhaust pulse/scavenging effect, but nothing noticable on a 500 hp car.

On a side note, I LOVE my KRs. Best exhaust note I've heard for the GT500 IMO. I have the stock X-pipe. I've never heard the H-pipe configuration in person so I can't comment on it. From what I've heard on sound clips, the X and H sound almost the same.
Could you post a vid of your system please? You have the exact configuration Im thinking about going with

·
Registered
153 Posts
the slp loudmouths are actually quite reasonable when you are cruising, but when you step on it, people can hear you coming from a mile away(which is great haha)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts