Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going to 3.73 gear set.
Been doing some reading about gear whine with some brands of gears.
Was thinking about getting the FRPP set, but have seen some forum comments that OEM gears are the only way to go.

Anyone have any feedback about the gears they've installed and what was good or bad about them?

TD

·
Registered
137 Posts
My belief is that FRPP gears are oem gears just repacked.
I know for sure that use to be the case unless something changed.
So that being said FRPP gears and oem are exactly the same.
Both are Ford gears, no difference between the two except the box they are packed in.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Was thinking about getting the FRPP set, but have seen some forum comments that OEM gears are the only way to go.

Anyone have any feedback about the gears they've installed and what was good or bad about them?

TD

I have Ford Racing 3.73 and no whining,no noise.I would always buy the Fords gear set.I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have FRPP 3.73s. Like Fred, no whining and no noise.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Over on TS, I saw a few posts that the OEM gears were the only way to go.

Also, would like to re-iterate that the F1 goodyears stink in sub 60'
weather and seems also to take a while to warm up... Combined with a cooler air and higer barometric pressure, need to be careful on cold winter mornings (even on Florida!) after the stage 2...

TD

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
3.31s are stock.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

TD
I don't have gears, so no personal experience. However, I've read much about this too. It's all hearsay...I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other....but I think when people say OEM gears are the way to go, they are INCLUDING FRPP gears in the OEM category. The ones most people are concerned with are aftermarket brands like Richmond etc. Then there's some deal I don't fully understand where Motive Gear makes some gearsets for Ford, and the p/n ends in an "M" or something, and some people have claimed you should stay away from those for noise reasons.

Again...I'm only repeating things I've read...so take it with a grain of salt.

Dave

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have Ford Racing 3.73 and no whining,no noise.I would always buy the Fords gear set.I have never had a problem.
I have FRPP 3.73s. Like Fred, no whining and no noise.
+1 No problems here with the 3.73's.
I have the FRPP gears also.

My tech said that the calibrations set up were perfect, almost exactly as stock.

But I do think they are a touch noisier at speed.

I think they start to get noisier than stock around 70 MPH, and probably not so noticeable over 125 mph.

So for most street driving the noise level is like stock, but over that a little noisier.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Anyone have a part# for the FRPP 3.73 gears?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts

TD
I have also used the 3.73 FRPP gears work great no noise, no nothing. Remember though you can get noise if the gears are NOT installed properly. No fault of the gears themselves. Take care M'nut

·
Registered
125 Posts
here is the number that you wanted from Ford Racing M4209F373N Hope this helps M"nut

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
here is the number that you wanted from Ford Racing M4209F373N Hope this helps M"nut
Thanks, M'Nut. Your response was much more useful than Fred's. :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Sorry Rick.Right after I answered you last time I had to go.I see Mustangnut gave you the part #.:eek:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
OK, folks. Can someone tell me exactly why I might want to go to 3.73 gears? They're only $180 on the FRPP website, and I can get them for cost. To me, that means Why Not?

Here's my winter mod story...

1. I'm installing the Evo Ultimate Lowering pack. Everything is done except shocks, springs & UCA. I'm going to have a guy do that for me.

2. 20" Alcoa wheels are on the way & new Nittos are waiting patiently in the living room.

3. Several other appearance goodies have been added. Pics will come when Shelby wakes up in spring.

3. I just got approval from the 1st lady to upgrade the the EVO Stage 2 (plus a lower pulley and new heat exchanger...ssshhhh) Can you say 565 rwhp?

Since I've already pulled the trigger on about $6,500+ in mods this winter, what's another $150, right? On the other hand, am I going to see any significant gains from new gears? Help me justify my irresponsible spending.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why ask why, try Bud dry.

Otherwise,

I would suggest that the 3.73 gear will offer you a great seat-of-the-pants acceleration improvement, that'll make you smile bright enough to melt the snow in your near vicinity, or at least warm your soul.

Either way, its a no-lose situation

TD

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you plan to go with a KB or Whipple in the future you might want to consider 3.55's....with 3.73's and the above blowers you will have no 1st/2nd gears. Just a thought....

1 - 20 of 81 Posts