Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the question says, where do you take your GT500. Do you take it to the store, the mall, movies, post office?

I have taken mine to the store to get food, post office, wal mart, Old Sacramento, Sacramento airport to pick up my mother in law (who loves the car by the way) and to work. Everywhere I go it draws a crowd.

Write about where and how you use your GT500.

Happy motoring

·
Registered
171 Posts
After driving 85 miles home from the dealer on the 16th, I have driven it everday since. I have gone to many different places including Walmart, which I never thought I would do with it because of the parking. Luckily I have a handicap sticker so I at least can park in places that are less likely to get dings and things. Although today I took my wife to Kohl's and had to park way out away to find a safe place then someone still parked close. I can't seem to keep from driving it. I thought I wouldn't put many miles on it, but I enjoy driving it too much right now. I haven't had a lot of attention drawn to it yet. Maybe because of the stealth color and no top stripes.(alloy with side silver stripe only) I really love the color and don't mind the non-notoriety.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After driving 85 miles home from the dealer on the 16th, I have driven it everday since. I have gone to many different places including Walmart, which I never thought I would do with it because of the parking. Luckily I have a handicap sticker so I at least can park in places that are less likely to get dings and things. Although today I took my wife to Kohl's and had to park way out away to find a safe place then someone still parked close. I can't seem to keep from driving it. I thought I wouldn't put many miles on it, but I enjoy driving it too much right now. I haven't had a lot of attention drawn to it yet. Maybe because of the stealth color and no top stripes.(alloy with side silver stripe only) I really love the color and don't mind the non-notoriety.
LOL, I can't stop driving my car either, I put over 500 miles on it in four days. I just love to drive this car. I feel like some sort of celebrity when I drive my car. People give thumbs up, point fingers and take pictures, its crazy. I park it as far as possible from the front of the store and take two spaces, people sometimes give me dirty looks and say things, I think they are just jealous.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I drive mine every night in my dreams. I have my Cobra floor mats under my desk in my den. I'm driving my Shelby right now! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have taken a few 100 miles drives but prefer shorter ones (10 to 20 miles). I have not parked it at any length while inside a store yet. I dont worry about someone taking it, I just dont leave it out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have taken a few 100 miles drives but prefer shorter ones (10 to 20 miles). I have not parked it at any length while inside a store yet. I dont worry about someone taking it, I just dont leave it out.
I drive mine to work some days, when I expect the weather to be nice. I have a very decent place right next to our main lab that sort of hides it from passer-bys. Sometimes I have to go to our secondary lab and the parking is OK ther if you are early enough. Later in the day, I prefer to leave it in the safe lot and walk to the other lab. I certainly can use the excercise!

Several of the gate guards (military base) look for it and are disappointed when I drive the Mustang GT! They loved the GT until they saw the Shelby!

I don't like taking it to stores unless I think I can park it in the north 40! I don't want some soccer mom slamming her door into it because she had her free hand holding her phone to her ear!

Car shows, club meetings, club cruises, joy rides and stuff like that all adds up! We have over 2300 miles on her already.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Prince nailed the whole parking thing: "Guess I shoulda known by the way u parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last".

The family is used to my vehicles not being parked in Door Ding City. The walk, or run, to the entrance is so un-couch potato, it's almost un-American.

Also, never down hill, or down wind, from a supermarket.

This has worked for more years than I care to share.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've taken the Shelby mostly for pleasure drives and a few times to work when the weather has been nice. Parking at work is not an issue as I have an assigned spot out of the elements and no one close enough to worry about opening their door into it. I did drive it when I went out to eat one night and parked it in the back 40 and when we came out after finishing dinner some a-hole had parked right next to it when there was a thousand other open spaces closer to the restaurant. I checked very carefully for any door dings but it came out ok. For that reason I have been hesitant to use it for shopping or eating out. The car is currently in storage but next summer I plan on using it for some extended pleasure trips. Car club meetings and car shows are other options I will be taking as well. For insurance purposes, I need to keep the mileage under 3,000 each year so that will also dictate how and where I drive.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I drive it for pleasure only, have taken it to work once...to many people out looking at it makes me nervous. You have some that admire it..others that would do something to it because being jealous. Fact of life I guess. Never will it go to Wal-Mart, food store, etc. If I can't watch I don't park it. Yes some would say its just a mustang with a old mans name on it :) But I worked hard for it, spent more money on it than any other car and need to protect my investment. I would love to drive it more places but the stress of it sitting unprotected would out weight the enjoyment of it. I am the cars body guard I need be with it at all times :)

I have had my car since August, currently have about 1200.00 miles on it and don't expect that many a year. The models that now come with the NAV system means nothing to me...I won't be driving to any place I don't know how to get there...the family car can have a NAV system because it will be the one going to the beach etc...if I come out and someone has door dinged it, or a shopping car is in the side of it I will be pissed but not sick about it.

Is this the right way to think...to each there own... what ever it takes to get the enjoyment out of it... I get hammered all the time about not driving..but I love knowing it is in the garage clean and under a cover and only 3 years left to pay on it before it is truly mine :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had mine since the 14th, and have almost 500 miles on it. I am going to Austin on thursday to my sisters so the rest of the family can see it. I have decided that I enjoy driving it too much to put it up. Every evening I go into the garage and wipe it down with another coat of touch up polish. I clean the wheels and tires. It looks like new. I will try not to drive it in bad weather and if it is too cold. I have taken it to wal-mart, Kohl's, Albertsons, the library, and just about everywhere else. I just try to be careful with it, but I spent too much money to let it set in the garageand not be driven. This car was built to be driven, and driven hard. I wants too strut it's stuff, and I am more than willing to let it do it's thing!

·
Registered
153 Posts
My FAST red Shelby will be a month old tomorrow. It has been driven 385 miles from the dealer to my house, back and forth to work 3-4 times and last week end drove to the coast of Monterey/Carmel.

The best place I drove was to a neighbor of a friend of mine who did not know I had the Shelby.
He wanted me to come see his new Mustang GT.
When I showed up he was devastated that his GT was not that great by comparison. Not to worry though, he realized he could have purchased 2-3 GT's for the price of my Shelby and he was ok with it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The best place I drove was to a neighbor of a friend of mine who did not know I had the Shelby.
He wanted me to come see his new Mustang GT.
When I showed up he was devastated that his GT was not that great by comparison. Not to worry though, he realized he could have purchased 2-3 GT's for the price of my Shelby and he was ok with it.
Oh man! That's just mean. Poor guy was all pumped up about his GT and you show up with a Shelby. I'm surprised he didn't throw a beer bottle at you. :D :p :D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Like the question says, where do you take your GT500. Do you take it to the store, the mall, movies, post office?

I have taken mine to the store to get food, post office, wal mart, Old Sacramento, Sacramento airport to pick up my mother in law (who loves the car by the way) and to work. Everywhere I go it draws a crowd.

Write about where and how you use your GT500.

Happy motoring
As I have stated in previous posts, my Shelby has seen all five boroughs of NYC and will continune to be a daily driver, weather permitting, if you know what I mean?:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts