Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 1300 miles on my new gt500 ive been enjoying it so far but i was wondering when to do a oil change for the first time at 1200 miles i took it in to the dealer to get the oil changed but they wouldint do it because of there contract states that every 3000 miles the oil should be changed am i sapose to wait till the 3000 mark or change it before?? an does any one have a Ford Service place near bakersfield CA that is cool with after market parts an wont report them?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I change the oil myself. That way I determine when it needs to be changed and I know it's done right. I did the 1st oil change at 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
at 1200 miles i took it in to the dealer to get the oil changed but they wouldint do it because of there contract states that every 3000 miles the oil should be changed am i sapose to wait till the 3000 mark or change it before?? an does any one have a Ford Service place near bakersfield CA that is cool with after market parts an wont report them?
YouGotBit,
I think everyone has their own opinion as to when to change the oil in whatever vehicle they have. If you read you Owner's Guide, Scheduled Maintenance Manual (SMM) and the GT500 Supplement you'll find that nowhere in there is 3,000 mile service mentioned or a special mileage/time for the first oil change.

The SMM calls for a "normal" maintenance schedule of 7,500 mile intervals and 5,000 mile intervals for "Special Operating Conditions".

The GT500 Supplement recommends 5W-50 full synthetic oil and to "Change your oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed in the scheduled maintenance information".

I find it is easier for me to keep track of needed maintenance to use 5,000 mile intervals. If I change a little early or late it still goes down for the next 5,000 mi scheduled service. 5,000 mi intervals gives me a 2,500 mi cushion if needed.

Back in days gone by (60s & 70s and prob others) car manufacturers used a "break-in" oil to help all the parts settle in after mfg. That is no longer the case. Since we now have the synthetic oil the lower serv intervals (3,000 mi) are no longer needed either.

Unless you have a Service Contract with your dealership they should have changed your oil just because you wanted it done; it's money in their pocket to get you to do it more often. If you had a serv contract that called for 3,000 mi intervals, you would be responsible for the bill for earlier service.

If I ran a serv dept and you wanted an early serv I would have told you it wasn't necessary, but if you wanted it you would get it; you are the customer.

I guess the bottom line is "Whatever you're comfortable with" as long as it meets or exceeds the manufacturer's requirements for your warranty. Read your manuals!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I changed my oil at 1000 miles the first time mainly so I would know what was in the pan. I used roush valvoline 5w 50 full synthetic which meets the ford B spec. I changed the filter also because the factory filter is in a plain white wrapper and you have no idea what it is. Not one number on it. I changed the oil again at 5000 miles and will continue to do so every 5000 miles. The book says 7500 miles so I have a 2500 mile cushion. I also keep a log of everything done to my shelby what why when who and where dates mileage etc. Its your car and your investment and if YOU want the oil changed once a month then so be it. Take care of your beast.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I always dump the first fill ASAP to get anything major out of the engine. Coresand being the biggest thing, and whatever main metallic content there may be at the time.

Mine got changed at 40miles; haha.

Will be on a 3mo/3k/100hr schedule after that.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I first changed my oil at 500 miles. Then it's every 2,000 to 2,500 miles after that. (That's about how many miles I put on her each summer)

·
Registered
170 Posts
You got Bit
I see you on my other site. I am not sure where in ca you live but must b bay area. I recomend Frontier Ford Talk to Darren Jackson They are in Santa Clara 1-408-241-1800 I changed my oil at 3000 miles first time. I have no issues with my car whatsoever. I change my oil every year as I dont put more than 4000 miles on it. Check the owners manual I believe it says 5000 miles between changes. I only buy Motorcraft oil and I have it done at the dealer. Sure I can change it myslf but when I have it done at the dealer they have a record of all my maintenance and i get a reciept.

·
Registered
38 Posts
YouGotBit,
I think everyone has their own opinion as to when to change the oil in whatever vehicle they have. If you read you Owner's Guide, Scheduled Maintenance Manual (SMM) and the GT500 Supplement you'll find that nowhere in there is 3,000 mile service mentioned or a special mileage/time for the first oil change.

The SMM calls for a "normal" maintenance schedule of 7,500 mile intervals and 5,000 mile intervals for "Special Operating Conditions".

The GT500 Supplement recommends 5W-50 full synthetic oil and to "Change your oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed in the scheduled maintenance information".

I find it is easier for me to keep track of needed maintenance to use 5,000 mile intervals. If I change a little early or late it still goes down for the next 5,000 mi scheduled service. 5,000 mi intervals gives me a 2,500 mi cushion if needed.

Back in days gone by (60s & 70s and prob others) car manufacturers used a "break-in" oil to help all the parts settle in after mfg. That is no longer the case. Since we now have the synthetic oil the lower serv intervals (3,000 mi) are no longer needed either.

Unless you have a Service Contract with your dealership they should have changed your oil just because you wanted it done; it's money in their pocket to get you to do it more often. If you had a serv contract that called for 3,000 mi intervals, you would be responsible for the bill for earlier service.

If I ran a serv dept and you wanted an early serv I would have told you it wasn't necessary, but if you wanted it you would get it; you are the customer.

I guess the bottom line is "Whatever you're comfortable with" as long as it meets or exceeds the manufacturer's requirements for your warranty. Read your manuals!

Good Luck!
Owners manual also says 6 months. Since I have low miles, I change oil every 6 months...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts