Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of people posting about the rear axle being offset a bit to the left, so that the left rear tire sticks out a bit further than the right rear tire. Mine is this way as well.

A neighbor has a 1970 Mach 1 that has been a drag racing car it's entire existence, and I had a chance to look it over today. When he was showing me the car he pointed out how the left rear wheel sticks out a bit further than the right and asked me if I knew why this was so. I told him that I had no idea, but my GT500 is the same way. He laughed and said that it was an old Ford trick, that it is done to help brace the car against torque from the engine.

No idea if he's right, but to my n00b sensibilities it sounds fairly reasonable. It certainly sounds more plausible than Ford not being able to design the car with a centered rear axle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Assuming that he is right, what does that say about the need for an adjustable panhard bar to center the axle?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,069 Posts
I think you guys are on the crack pipe!! Nah, just kidding. My 07's rears were perfectly centered until I put in rear lowering springs and that off-set the rear geometry, causing the axle to move left about 3/4 ". W/O an adjustable panhard rod (original is stationary) the rear will do that. Nothing to do with Ford, IMHO. I got the adjustable panhard, adjusted it out, and wallah, rear tires perfectly centered again. I'm wondering if your buddies' older Mustang had the same similar rear suspension with a panhard rod or similar ? Did he lower the rear?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts