Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m not totally new here but I do new some newbie advice. After I bought my 09 GT 500 the wif went and bought a 16 GT with performance package. I’m blown away with the difference between her brakes and mine. Hers are way better. So my question is what’s the best brakes to fit my 18 stock wheels? Do they make 19 inch wheels that look like stock 09 wheels? I pull rather not by new wheels as mine are in perfect shape.

Thanks

Chris

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,180 Posts
Ok I’m not totally new here but I do new some newbie advice. After I bought my 09 GT 500 the wif went and bought a 16 GT with performance package. I’m blown away with the difference between her brakes and mine. Hers are way better. So my question is what’s the best brakes to fit my 18 stock wheels? Do they make 19 inch wheels that look like stock 09 wheels? I pull rather not by new wheels as mine are in perfect shape.

Thanks

Chris
I just did a quick search Chris... for 07-09 stock looking GT500 wheels, I only saw 18” wheels. There are a bunch of other styles available for these cars in 19 inch diameter though.

As for a brake upgrade, you can spend big money putting bigger/better brakes on these cars. A friend of mine did the Baer upgrade and sunk about $10k into the project. I’m sure you could improve your stopping performance with a good gripping pad. Heavy brake dust will most likely be the penalty though.

By the way, I moved this thread out of the new member area. We use that area for intros only.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,892 Posts
Your 18” wheels will be the limiting factor in going with bigger brakes. I believe the 14”dia / 4 piston Brembo’s would be near the top of the performance list to fit with your wheels.
I just upgraded my 2011 to 2019 GT350R front rotors and calipers (15.5” dia & 6 piston Brembo’s), but this needs bigger wheels (and not all 19” & 20” will work due to the calipers being enormous). The stopping power of the GT350 setup is WAY better than what was on the car.
Here’s my thread on this upgrade:

I think you can also do the 2016 GT perf pack front caliper and rotor upgrade to the S-197 cars (for less money than the GT350 upgrade). But you would still need larger wheels.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your 18” wheels will be the limiting factor in going with bigger brakes. I believe the 14”dia / 4 piston Brembo’s would be near the top of the performance list to fit with your wheels.
I just upgraded my 2011 to 2019 GT350R front rotors and calipers (15.5” dia & 6 piston Brembo’s), but this needs bigger wheels (and not all 19” & 20” will work due to the calipers being enormous). The stopping power of the GT350 setup is WAY better than what was on the car.
Here’s my thread on this upgrade:

I think you can also do the 2016 GT perf pack front caliper and rotor upgrade to the S-197 cars (for less money than the GT350 upgrade). But you would still need larger wheels.
I have a '12 and you just saved me days of research and newbie questions, much abliged.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Chris, How are you using the car? I did track days with a Shelby GT that was upgraded to the 14"/4 piston Brembo front brakes and with race pads the brakes were very good.

As Goose suggested you might try some different pads before you do a complete brake upgrade. I'm using AutoZone Max Ceramic pads on my 08 GT500. They're great for low dust and I'm happy with them for street driving but they don't bite like a performance pad. I've been thinking about trying Power Stop Z26 pads to see if I get more bite without a lot more dust. There are lots of choices for brake pads and like Goose said more grip usually comes with more dust.

One other thing you might want to try is replacing the brake lines. I have the FPP M-2078-MB Boss 302 Brake Line Upgrade Kit on my GT500 and my 08 Bullitt. They're described as low expansion and they're not expensive at $83.

For a few dollars more you could upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. I like this J&M kit for it's OEM fit.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You will improve your Brakes dramatically with some Steel Braided Lines and some quality Pads.

Brake Lines Kit: https://www.revanracing.com/products/2007-2014-gt500-stainless-steel-braided-brake-lines.html

^^ Van's (Revan) kit is very good for a Street Application. ^^

Porterfied Make excellent performance Pads (The RS4) is the Best Porterfield for a Street Application and you can find those here: https://www.porterfield-brakes.com

Important to use quality Brake fluid when doing these mods too.

The aforementioned is more than adequate for a street car.

If you want Bigger Brakes for aesthetics and more STOP, as mentioned, Full Tilt Boogie make a retrofit kit for GT350 Brakes, but they well not be fitting inside 18" wheels.

If you want BIG BOY Brakes that will do everything on the street and the track AND fit your 18" OEM Wheels.
Call Dean @ https://www.kohrmotorsports.com

and get some of these. https://www.kohrmotorsports.com/product/s197-mustang-brembo-14-pro-series-racing-brake-kit/

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,372 Posts
The Z26 are similar to the Autozone C-Max. I have a set on the GT350 and they are great for no dust, but they don't have the initial bite of even the factory Brembo pads. Something from Porterfield or Hawk could give you better performance depending on your usage characteristics. Just remember your use case when shopping for pads. Buying the most hardcore pad will get you something that may hold up to the heat of 20 minute track sessions, but will squeal, dust, and perform terribly under cold street brake temps.

Reactions: Cjs stang

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
The Z26 are similar to the Autozone C-Max. I have a set on the GT350 and they are great for no dust, but they don't have the initial bite of even the factory Brembo pads.
Thanks for the info on the Z26 pads.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,892 Posts
I have a '12 and you just saved me days of research and newbie questions, much abliged.
You’re welcome.
I did do days of research and even test fit one of my front wheels on a friends 2018 GT350 to check barrel and spoke clearances.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Try a more aggressive pad, like an Autocross style pad from a reputable company such as GLoc, Carbotech, Hawk, Porterfield, etc. They will perform better on the street than stock, but possibly with some extra dust and noise.
A big brake kit upgrade for a street driven S197 isn't a good investment unless you have deep pockets and really want the 'look'. And you may have fitment issues with 18" wheels with a lot of 6-piston kits. If you are doing lots of track days, it's a different conversation.
SS lines are a good investment too, but wont make you stop faster...they will make the pedal 'feel' firmer as the hydraulic lines will not expand as much as OEM rubber lines.
Also cant hurt to flush the brake fluid in case there some air in the lines that give it a more spongy feel.

Reactions: Cjs stang
1 - 10 of 10 Posts