Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just over 550 miles on my 09. Did a rolling 10 mph and got on her a bit and bad wheel hop. Tried one from a dead stop and got the same results with traction control on and off. Any ideas out there? Bear

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have just over 550 miles on my 09. Did a rolling 10 mph and got on her a bit and bad wheel hop. Tried one from a dead stop and got the same results with traction control on and off. Any ideas out there? Bear
Yes. Use the search feature as this topic has been thoroughly discussed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the Roush anti wheel hop kit its about $250 and it does wonders no wheel hop and car handles and rides better also. Wheel Hop Reduction kit part number 401788

performanceparts4fords.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=163

________
Wellbutrin Attorneys

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I've wondered just how much the lower control arms influence wheel hop and discovering that Roush produces an "anti wheelhop" kit that does not include the lower control arms leads me to believe the answer is not much at all.

The only suspension modes I have are Eibach springs, Saleen Watts link, and the Steeda upper adjustable control arm and mount and I do not experience any wheelhop.

I still have the stock lower control arms and at this point I see no reason to upgrade. But if I were a moderate to serious drag racer, I would definitely get them.
--
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
there are many versions of UCA's, LCA's and kits on the market...Roush, Steeda, Lethal, and others. Research, and decide. But there's plenty mentioned about them all here, good and bad.

All depends on which suspension direction you want to go, and cost your willing to spend.

·
Registered
456 Posts
All I've done is install Steeda lowering springs and the wheelhop magically vanished.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Springs made it go away...that's interesting, but good to know. Is it possible Ford screwed up our spring rates that bad? It already kind of erks me that the Shelby GT got a better suspension than we did... I guess it doesn't really matter, because no matter what they gave us, we'd all be taking it out anyway, but it still would've been nice.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Springs made it go away...that's interesting
That is possible, but perhaps it is not the best solution.

This was discussed at length on another site but to paraphrase:

Lowering the car changes the pinion angle such that the car is more prone to wheel spin. As traction is necessary for wheel hop, less traction = less wheel hop.

An adjustable upper control arm with stiffer bushings will then correct the pinion angle AND the wheel hop issue, IMHO.
--
Ronnie

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does that mean if I install LCA relocation brackets, which plant the axle better and increase traction, the wheelhop will come back? (Assuming no other changes)

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I would guess that is possible. I think the major problem with the factory arms is that they are weak and have crappy bushings. When you relocate, spend the extra couple hundred and get the lcas with urethane bushings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts