Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my GT500 in for a front end alignment today after having the FRPP handling pack installed. They ended up saying they couldn't do the alignment because they couldn't get the test fixtures on the rear wheels. They said that the rim saver beads on the rear tires are keeping the test fixtures from hooking onto the rims without potentially damaging them.

Has anyone run into this? If so, what did you do about it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took my GT500 in for a front end alignment today after having the FRPP handling pack installed. They ended up saying they couldn't do the alignment because they couldn't get the test fixtures on the rear wheels. They said that the rim saver beads on the rear tires are keeping the test fixtures from hooking onto the rims without potentially damaging them.

Has anyone run into this? If so, what did you do about it?
I had mine aligned last Friday with no problem. Try another shop that has a diffrent alignment machine.

DJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
My shop had an extra set of front tires put on the back so it would fit in the machine. After the alignment he just popped on the rear tires again. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, that's an idea. were they the stock GT500 front tires?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the alignment machine at the ford dealership with my 09. They gave me am "acceptable" alignment but could not give an ideal one because, so I've been told, it needs adjustable strut mounts being the car is lowered. On my 2010 I used the same frpp handling pack with the adjustable strut mounts and also adjustable panhard bar. My 09 seemed to perform well with the kit but with about 2500 miles the tires had some vibration and uneven wear, not enough to make a big deal about but that is not many miles. I am hoping my 2010 makes out better with the added parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes they were stock front tires they threw on. Don't ask me why they had them...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as the nearest shop with rim saver tabs is a Nissan dealer in Panama City Beach (~ 2 hour drive), I went ahead and had the local shop do the alignment. There are some very faint scratches on the outside edges of the rear wheels from the tabs, but nothing anyone would notice if they didn't know they were there. You have to look hard to see them.

I'm satisfied with the work, and they did have to make small adjustments to both of the front wheels. We'll see how it drives at speed now, hopefully the slight shimmy at high speed that started after the handling pack was installed is gone now.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shimmy/instability is gone. Car is rock solid at speed. Happiness++

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I am about to have an alignment post evo performance ultimate suspension kit install...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had my car at the local Ford dealer only to be told it would not fit and their machine. I'm not sure if it was a ground clearance or tire size problem. You would think that the place that sells the car could work on it..

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500
692 Posts
I’m in need of an alignment too. I would prefer that the tech not take the Shelby out for a “test”. How did you handle it?

Mike

2009 red with white, a 12 second ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts