Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

9881 - 9900 of 11451 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have seen a number of high end cars where the removal and re-application of the stripes is the process they use. One nice thing about going to aftermarket stripes kits is the ability to "finish" the stripe. Once of the things that really tripped my OCD on my car was the fact that the stripes never terminated where I thought they should. Moving to aftermarket stripes allowed me to run the stripes all the way to the edges of the bodylines. The material was also much better than the factory stripes.

You can see the gaps on the factory stripes above and below the rear license plates.

With the aftermarket stripes those portions are now complete and covered

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500
267 Posts
Yes, the transition is the con going over the stripes. I won’t be removing the OEM stripes however... not happening.

I have to do some more research and talk with some more vendors.
Yep, that was my thoughts as well. I was not removing my stripes, hence why I cut around them. I also only did my front bumper area on my 2014. Wanted to see the how it came out before doing my hood, mirrors and a pillar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,548 Posts
Mine was cut around the stripes as well. If you go over them, it will be noticeable with the transition from the stripe to the paint (showing air pockets). Not recommended.

One recommendation is to remove the stripes, clear bra the front and reapply the stripes over it.
This is what I've read and been told the majority of the time.

Tim, Perhaps talk to the installer about running the clear bra right up to the edge of the stripe....much like how we installed our pin stripes. I know the concern you have because most installations I've seen where the installer cut around the stripes the film is set back away from the edge of the stripes by 1/8" or so. That's the area you are concerned about getting buildup of wax residue and other crud. At the same time, Gjb's comment about air pockets under the clear bra at the stripe transition is spot on, and I think your attention to detail would drive you nuts seeing little air pockets.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,046 Posts
Driving the 95 “2-top” for the 1st time. Getting it inspected so I can register it/pay taxes.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
.................. as little as possible ........................... ?

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I have seen a number of high end cars where the removal and re-application of the stripes is the process they use. One nice thing about going to aftermarket stripes kits is the ability to "finish" the stripe. Once of the things that really tripped my OCD on my car was the fact that the stripes never terminated where I thought they should. Moving to aftermarket stripes allowed me to run the stripes all the way to the edges of the bodylines. The material was also much better than the factory stripes.

You can see the gaps on the factory stripes above and below the rear license plates.

With the aftermarket stripes those portions are now complete and covered
Ok, I am a bit color blind, but does the car look like two different colors in those two pics?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Orange fury is has a yellow/gold metal flake in the finish. With different lighting the color can shift drastically. Trying to photograph it only exacerbates the issue.

Example: Same day, same tree in the backgroun, about 45 minutes apart with the sun setting.

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
2010 Grabber Blue/White
4,424 Posts
Spent some time on the forum today. Had a few more Christmas decorations to pack away. Put up some of my Mardi Gras decorations. It’s a New Orleans thing..lol. Now just waiting for the Saints game tomorrow. Hope they do well. Who Dat!!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,416 Posts
Pulled the cover off the Shelby, 50 deg winter day! Turned the key and the battery is totally dead! Got five years out of this one so I call a win. Outside and under cover 100 % of the time I am not driving it. Went and purchased New one and fired her up. Wife and some other Mustang friends cruised to DeadWood and had lunch!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,046 Posts
Reactions: dcastine

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,046 Posts
Will do. Was inspired by this one, but made a few tweaks to improve it and make it easier to build.

Very cool Tom! Can you see the plow on your backup camera?

9881 - 9900 of 11451 Posts