Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my 07 GT 500. Wondering what performance mods you can make and still maintain the factory warranty. Thinking of exhaust and intake to start.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Axle back exhaust is ok but all CAI's require a tune so that is out. But as many do, you can remove the CAI and tune before you take it in for service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which tuner would you suggest?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Roush has a supercharger upgrade that adds about 100-120 hp that maintains a 3-year warranty. They want about $5,600 for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ford of course will not warrant the after market product you put on, but there is actually a federal law prohibiting them from not covering your car just because you put an after market item on. They have to show that your after market product was the cause of the problem. Your can find all the information at FEMA on this law and others like it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just took delivery of my 07 GT 500. Wondering what performance mods you can make and still maintain the factory warranty. Thinking of exhaust and intake to start.
I went with the Evolution Performance Stage 1 (CAI and tune). Fred at Evolution is a great guy who really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Visited my local Ford dealer yesterday. According to them the factory warranty will not be affected if they install the Steeda CAI, Exhaust and Tune. Has anyone else had Ford do these changes and if so did they maintain the factory warranty?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Visited my local Ford dealer yesterday. According to them the factory warranty will not be affected if they install the Steeda CAI, Exhaust and Tune. Has anyone else had Ford do these changes and if so did they maintain the factory warranty?
Ask them to put that in writing. Do the mods and head out on a trip, take it to a different dealer and watch the service writer start counting his commission check uplift.....

And the Roush warranty program has proven time and again to be not worth the paper its written on. They have far too many loopholes to climb out of and they use them to full benifit.

Bottom line is, modify the car and you are on your own. Don't modify and you takes your chances.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a followup. I have installed the Steeda CAI and Axle Back Exhaust. Scheduled to carry it to the dealer Monday for the Pulley and SVT Tune. I have taked with everyone at the dealership from the GM to the tech installing the mods and they maintain that none of these mods will affect the warranty.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Just a followup. I have installed the Steeda CAI and Axle Back Exhaust. Scheduled to carry it to the dealer Monday for the Pulley and SVT Tune. I have taked with everyone at the dealership from the GM to the tech installing the mods and they maintain that none of these mods will affect the warranty.
Carry it to the dealer on Monday? Hope on a transporter and not your back.:D A dealer willing to do a pulley and tune? You have a primo dealer and one willing to put the warranty and his reputation on the line, if you know what I mean.;) Talk is cheap and when the $#@& hits the fan hope he sings the same tune. The bottom line is, based upon the warranty issue, a rep and not the dealer has the last say, but if he is willing to install the mods you are definetely ahead of the game.;) Make sure he documents those mods on a service ticket, just my advice.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
That's awesome. It just goes to show that all dealers are different. Some are very cool with mods and some will not do a second of warranty work on a modded car. Congrats on finding a cool dealer.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Carry it to the dealer on Monday? Hope on a transporter and not your back.:D A dealer willing to do a pulley and tune? You have a primo dealer and one willing to put the warranty and his reputation on the line, if you know what I mean.;) Talk is cheap and when the $#@& hits the fan hope he sings the same tune. The bottom line is, based upon the warranty issue, a rep and not the dealer has the last say, but if he is willing to install the mods you are definetely ahead of the game.;) Make sure he documents those mods on a service ticket, just my advice.

+1

The dealer doesn't enforce the warranty. It's nice to have them pulling for you, but blow something up and watch them moonwalk out the door with you standing there with your pulley in your hand....if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong...I'm over 650 at the motor and had a Ford Motorsports dealer do (most of) the work just to help cover my butt. But, I know at the end of the day that when push comes to shove, I'm out here on my own.

bj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts