Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500
135 Posts
Stock or say CAI and borla atak.
Dumb question but why is everyone monitoring voltage ? It seems like out of all the stuff to monitor that’s the most reliable one?

Wanted to ask what the high/danger zone numbers would be for the gauges above?
If the voltage starts reading to high (regulator issue) or if the voltage seems low (battery/alternator/fuse) then I will know. The heat in Vegas will wipe out a battery faster then any other place I have lived in and have almost been stranded before.

This is the reason I always want to know my voltage readings along with fluid temps/pressures.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,571 Posts
I monitor inlet air temp, manifold charge temp, and battery voltage. The last one is because of the issues I’ve had with the lithium battery. Once I get that sorted I’ll probably go back to boost.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,768 Posts
Mine in head temp, trans temp and boost because my son loves the boost gauge 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Goose17 and simba47

·
Registered
2021 GT500
135 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
270 Posts
I would go with an AGM over a lithium car battery every day, the cost and volatility are reason enough in my mind. I can save a couple lbs by not having a second helping of food :ROFLMAO: Vs trying to do it with a battery.

In my SVO I went with this to save weight, still have reliability and CCA.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/yellowtop/?filters=["31.7 LB","26.0 LB"]&filterObject=[{"name":"Weight","type":"STRING","values":["26.0 LB"]}]&sort=1&sortType=DESC
Hello, living here in the Philippines makes hard to get most things especially USA Car Battery's mostly Asian Cars here so Unless I use Ford dealer or have a car parts dealer ship in a Battery you can't get anything worth a crap that will fit a GT500. Optima is one I can get here not sure they have the size though. Evolvd gave a great explanation and recommended this which I think maybe better here is what he wrote on another thread.

No problems, we are all here to learn and share. AG is Antigravity Batteries, the manufacture of the specific LiFePO4 battery (lithium iron phosphate) that I and HVCalTech have. So for lithium batteries to be safe they need some sort of safety device to prevent overcharging which makes for fires and big booms lol. AG accomplishes this by building their own BMS architecture into their battery boxes. This digital circuit prevents the batteries from being overcharged and overly discharged. Antigravity batteries have been proven good batteries but some vehicles have compatibility issues such as the many Porsche 991.2 models. Some don’t have issues with it but many others do. It looks like the Mustang and other Fords could have similar compatibility problems.

Optima does not currently make a form-factor battery that fits in our battery box. Not to mention they were bought out in 2019 and their quality has declined significantly based on customer feedback.

The other often recommended AGM is the Odyssey 96R-600. It has the same footprint as the stock battery but has greater capacity and cold-cranking amps.

The Odyssey seems like a better option, but I am curious to why you like the optima. thanks and take care

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,571 Posts
I would go with an AGM over a lithium car battery every day, the cost and volatility are reason enough in my mind. I can save a couple lbs by not having a second helping of food :ROFLMAO: Vs trying to do it with a battery.

In my SVO I went with this to save weight, still have reliability and CCA.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/pro...","values":["26.0 LB"]}]&sort=1&sortType=DESC
Lithium batteries are costly but far superior to AGM in every aspect. Also they now have built in protections that prevent “volatile” situations. There’s other reasons to go lithium other than weight. Unfortunately it seems like S550s have compatibility issues with LiFePO4 batts.
And Optima was bought out and have sense turned into garbage batteries from multiple reviews across many sites. Not to mention they don’t make a form-factor that fits in S550s.

·
Registered
2021 GT500
135 Posts
Hello, living here in the Philippines makes hard to get most things especially USA Car Battery's mostly Asian Cars here so Unless I use Ford dealer or have a car parts dealer ship in a Battery you can't get anything worth a crap that will fit a GT500. Optima is one I can get here not sure they have the size though. Evolvd gave a great explanation and recommended this which I think maybe better here is what he wrote on another thread.

No problems, we are all here to learn and share. AG is Antigravity Batteries, the manufacture of the specific LiFePO4 battery (lithium iron phosphate) that I and HVCalTech have. So for lithium batteries to be safe they need some sort of safety device to prevent overcharging which makes for fires and big booms lol. AG accomplishes this by building their own BMS architecture into their battery boxes. This digital circuit prevents the batteries from being overcharged and overly discharged. Antigravity batteries have been proven good batteries but some vehicles have compatibility issues such as the many Porsche 991.2 models. Some don’t have issues with it but many others do. It looks like the Mustang and other Fords could have similar compatibility problems.

Optima does not currently make a form-factor battery that fits in our battery box. Not to mention they were bought out in 2019 and their quality has declined significantly based on customer feedback.

The other often recommended AGM is the Odyssey 96R-600. It has the same footprint as the stock battery but has greater capacity and cold-cranking amps.

The Odyssey seems like a better option, but I am curious to why you like the optima. thanks and take care
I keep hearing about how Optima batteries are not what they used to be, but I have been using them off and on for 20 years and never had an issue with them.

In my Jeep I went through 2 OEM batteries in 30k miles, and on each of my Fords I have had to replace the leaking factory battery in the first 40-50k miles. The heat is worse then the cold imo on batteries and so far an optima has not failed before its time.

I have never used an Odyssey battery before so I cannot speak to that, maybe once my factory battery show signs of failing I will try one out.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,571 Posts
I keep hearing about how Optima batteries are not what they used to be, but I have been using them off and on for 20 years and never had an issue with them.

In my Jeep I went through 2 OEM batteries in 30k miles, and on each of my Fords I have had to replace the leaking factory battery in the first 40-50k miles. The heat is worse then the cold imo on batteries and so far an optima has not failed before its time.

I have never used an Odyssey battery before so I cannot speak to that, maybe once my factory battery show signs of failing I will try one out.
Have you used one in the last 3 years? They were bought out (again) in 2019 and that’s the models I’ve been seeing negative reviews on.
It doesn’t matter though as they don’t make an H5/47/96 size that fits in the S550.

·
Registered
2021 GT500
135 Posts
Have you used one in the last 3 years? They were bought out (again) in 2019 and that’s the models I’ve been seeing negative reviews on.
It doesn’t matter though as they don’t make an H5/47/96 size that fits in the S550.
Yep (all yellow tops), I have one in my Jeep, and 2010 Raptor, and another one sitting in a box for my SVO.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts