Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this car has a lot of info on hand. Curious what everyone is monitoring and what’s the most critical for peak performance. Talking spirited street driving where cruising speeds are involved for cool downs.
Font Material property Circle Pattern Number

·
Registered
2020 GT500 L2717
46 Posts
Manifold Charge Temp, Vacuum/Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio

Reactions: simba47

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,024 Posts
The first question should be is your car stock or modified. If stock, there are no issues with temps unless you have a problem. These cars don’t heat soak like the S197 GT500 is known for.

Since I have carbon fiber wheels, I normally run with the TPMS screen on the dash to get an advance warning that a tire pressure is decreasing.

As for My Gauges, I have A/F, MCT and boost like Greg.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first question should be is your car stock or modified. If stock, there are no issues with temps unless you have a problem. These cars don’t heat soak like the S197 GT500 is known for.

Since I have carbon fiber wheels, I normally run with the TPMS screen on the dash to get an advance warning that a tire pressure is decreasing.

As for My Gauges, I have A/F, MCT and boost like Greg.
Stock or say CAI and borla atak.
Dumb question but why is everyone monitoring voltage ? It seems like out of all the stuff to monitor that’s the most reliable one?

Wanted to ask what the high/danger zone numbers would be for the gauges above?

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts
So this car has a lot of info on hand. Curious what everyone is monitoring and what’s the most critical for peak performance. Talking spirited street driving where cruising speeds are involved for cool downs.
View attachment 242795
I do Cylinder head Temp, Trans Temp, and Vac Boost mostly sometimes change it to Voltage or Rear end temp but always Cylinder head temp and Trans temp. Since we have oil pressure and temp gauges and cooling temp IMO Trans Temp is very important.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts
Dumb question but why is everyone monitoring voltage ? It seems like out of all the stuff to monitor that’s the most reliable one?

Good Question. I check it from time to time But I worry about Trans temp as that can cause big problems, Trans temps will raise when doing spirited or any form of drag racing or track for that matter. You will get a warning message if your trans starts to get heated. Rear-end temps are also important if your doing racing as those will heat up also. The rest are IMO to each of our own preference, example I live in a very hot humid climate all year round So Cylinder temp and Boost or Air intake temp can be important. Voltage is important so I do check it from time to time.

To bad Ford couldn't put 4 Gauges. But it does have that Listing of all of them.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts
View attachment 242795
Here is something everyone should do after doing any driving when you get home open your hood for at least 30 mins to let out all the heat from under your hood. It will help cool it down and helps everything under the hood to last longer. I have been doing this on all my Vehicle's, but especially performance cars. I know some here who own 911 GT3's ETC and never did this, after I told them they started doing it and all agreed it helps. :)

·
Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
613 Posts
Here is something everyone should do after doing any driving when you get home open your hood for at least 30 mins to let out all the heat from under your hood. It will help cool it down and helps everything under the hood to last longer. I have been doing this on all my Vehicle's, but especially performance cars. I know some here who own 911 GT3's ETC and never did this, after I told them they started doing it and all agreed it helps. :)
I did this every time for 3 years with my 350R after driving it , always opening hood for a few hrs. I do it about half the time with my current 500... but only because I hate slamming the hood every time later on. so loud and harsh. even from 8" sounds like it's slamming from 5 feet up.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts
I did this every time for 3 years with my 350R after driving it , always opening hood for a few hrs. I do it about half the time with my current 500... but only because I hate slamming the hood every time later on. so loud and harsh. even from 8" sounds like it's slamming from 5 feet up.
Yeah so true closing the hood seems like your throwing a cinder block on your car :ROFLMAO:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts

With an intake and exhaust mod, you won’t have any heat issues, including in the middle of the summer. I don’t monitor voltage, so I can’t help you there.
With the rain tray removed, we have the big open vent that sits right atop the engine that vents heat.

·
Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
613 Posts
With an intake and exhaust mod, you won’t have any heat issues, including in the middle of the summer. I don’t monitor voltage, so I can’t help you there.

With the rain tray removed, we have the big open vent that sits right atop the engine that vents heat.
Tim do you put the rain tray back when you wash the car?

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts

Why that is true, it doesn't let all the heat out fast. Point is to reduce engine heat once parked as it gets even hotter under the hood. It is simple to do. It does help;)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
43,024 Posts
Tim do you put the rain tray back when you wash the car?
I do not. I put a big towel folded in half on top of the engine and then lower the hood (not fully closed) when washing the car. I avoid spraying water into the vent, but some always does go in there… the towel trick works well at capturing the water though. I also put a rag on the steering wheel as a reminder not to start the engine before removing the towel, which would be bad.
Why that is true, it doesn't let all the heat out fast. Point is to reduce engine heat once parked as it gets even hotter under the hood. It is simple to do. It does help;)
Valid point. For what it’s worth, I always pop the hood and hook up my battery tender when parking the car in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
368 Posts
I do not. I put a big towel folded in half on top of the engine and then lower the hood (not fully closed) when washing the car. I avoid spraying water into the vent, but some always does go in there… the towel trick works well at capturing the water though. I also put a rag on the steering wheel as a reminder not to start the engine before removing the towel, which would be bad.

Valid point. For what it’s worth, I always pop the hood and hook up my battery tender when parking the car in the garage.
Good idea about washing the car with the rain tray removed. The big towel would help a lot:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts