Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what RPM people shift at. Also, does anyone use the built in shift light?

I am 6'3" and in any good driving position my view of the tach is mostly blocked by the steering wheel. Of course I can see the lower rpms but the wheel blocks the part I need to see. So, I set my shift light to 6000 rpm and figured I'd watch that.

Yesterday a C5 vet coupe (the stubby looking ones without the hatchback) hustled up to me on the highway. I slowed slightly put it in second and we both took off. By the time I was at the top of third I had several cars on him - maybe 5 lengths. I then noticed power drop and realized had I bumped the rev limiter in third. I wasn't going to keep going any faster anyway as there was no need. But, it made me realize I need figure something out with the tach.

I hate it that I can't see the tach for crap. I can jack the steering wheel way up but then the driving position stinks. I sure don't want to put a tach on the dash. Maybe I should set the shift light to 5800 or so and just watch for it to come on and a moment later shift.

Mine is an 09 and totally stock now with under 5000 miles. I haven't even changed the air filter.

I'm sure the shift point is different - stock vs. modified. I am assuming a stock one performs best with a shift around 6000 and a modified with a shift around 6300 but am not sure.

I am loving the car - except the nasty wheel hop. Suspension mods are first. I've had an '87 GT, '89, '93 coupe and '95 Cobra and the GT 500 far and away the best build 'Stang I've had. I just wish it was a lighter, that the wheel hop was gone and I could see 6000 rpms on the tach.

Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Set my shift light at 5700 rpm so by the time Isee and hear it I shift right before 6000, upper and lower control arms deff help eliminate most of the wheel hop I am just running the steeda lowers and it helped quite a bit but on badly paved roads it will hop i should be doing kw v3 coilovers this spring so that should help also

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow... people use their tach?

I go by the sound, I know when I need to shift. If I were at the dragstrip, I might use my tach, but on the street I go by the feel/sound of my motor.

I shift right under redline these cars crave the higher rpm's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Questions for follow up -

wht... 6400 at the drag strip stock??? The manual says fuel shut off is at 6250. I know I was hitting the limiter before 6400. Were you able to raise the limiter somehow?

Bandit - I agree they want more rpms. That's why I like the tach. It still feels like it's pulling when it hits the limiter to me. But, maybe I will get used to the feel. I just turned 5000 miles on it and really haven't ragged it that much yet.

Thanks for the imput. I guess nodoby else over 6' tall can see the tach either.

B. Ford

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I don't know of anyone that can see the SVT shift light if they're actually racing their car. If you're on the street, you don't need it that high anyway. This car has buttloads of torque; it's a lower rpm car...thus the 6250 redline/cutoff/whatever. You don't want to spin that thing any higher than about 6600. And, if you have any aftermarket exhaust on it you can't hear the tone either. If you're gonna race, but a shift light. If you're not, leave it at the stock settings because it really doesn't matter. If you're street racing, shame on you.

bj

·
Registered
429 Posts
i had mine set at 5800 before i put the 3.73's in by the time i shifted i was right at 6200 perfect!!! with the stage 2-- now i am thinkin about 5900
to master the hop the J&M UCA and LCA'S will do it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys , I have some notes about my 08 Gt500

1- how I know that my engine & supercharger is working fine?
2- when I go on high rpm like 6000 , a little water will come out from the supercharger coolant is that Normal ?

Am new here and this my first msg , sorry for my english

Cheers..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum yahyoo.

That is not normal.

It's best to start a new thread with a question like that, but you shouldn't have any coolant coming out of your intercooler system.

Here is the new member area:

New Member Introductions - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum

Reactions: 2010 Red & White

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I shift mine at 6400 - 6500 at the track, and in the 1/8th it pulls thru the traps around 6700 in third gear (disclaimer: lots of octane and custom tune). On the street, BJ hit the nail on the head... No need to push it that high. My suggestion would be to get a tune to raise the limiter slightly, buy a shift light, and set the shift light at 6k.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just drive it. After a while either at the track or on the street you get to be one with the car and you won't have to think about looking for your RPM's because you can feel and hear it. It's really a satisfying feeling once this happens. Not quite as good as mastering the heel toe but still awesome.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting to see a thread resurrected from almost 7 years ago.

When on the track and in good body position, I have the same issue as original post. I set my shift light around 5K RPMs in order to give me reaction time to shift before hitting rev limiter. That being said, I can neither see the light or hear the alarm when the car is pushing that much power.

One possible solution for me was integrating a OBD-II reader blue toothed to a small tablet I have mounted on my dash. I can select the types of gauges to display and it is easier for me to keep an eye on while trying to utilize all that power.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
I trained a monkey to hold onto the passenger-side headrest and slap me when I'm close to 6,000.... But if I miss a shift, he pees all over the place, so I've been working on that.

Reactions: flight_83

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,562 Posts
I trained a monkey to hold onto the passenger-side headrest and slap me when I'm close to 6,000.... But if I miss a shift, he pees all over the place, so I've been working on that.
Leather Conditioner, that is the key to clean that up. Just keep a bottle and rag in the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts