Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Shelby GT 350 Lightning Blue
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’d like to know what oil brand and filter you chose on your GT500. I watched a video for synthetic Lucas oil and conditioner. What are your thoughts? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use Amsoil. I race my car very hard though.
no need for stabilizer. I probably waste money on the oil I run as well.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,002 Posts
Hey guys,

I’d like to know what oil brand and filter you chose on your GT500. I watched a video for synthetic Lucas oil and conditioner. What are your thoughts? Much appreciated.
Dave, I am a firm believer of using whatever oil brand you like best. For instance, I use Castrol on my 2011 simply because I can get it in 5W-50 near me. I use Mobil 1 in my Mustang Cobras. HOWEVER, I will only use the recommended Motorcraft oil in the 2020. I already bought the oil and filter for my first change. The drivetrain on the 2020 is crazy awesome and also crazy expensive. I don’t want to give Ford any reason to deny a warranty claim should I develop any engine troubles. For this reason, I am sticking with the manufacturer’s recommendation.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,555 Posts
Same here. I've always stuck with using the motor oil and filter recommended by the manufacturer. There's really no indisputable reason not to use the manufacturer's recommended oil and filter. Oils are of such high quality now days, that most owners will never know the subtle differences and preserving your warranty is quite important with our Shelbys!

·
Registered
2010 Ford Shelby GT500 Torch Red w/Nav
29 Posts
Been using the 5W-50 Motorcraft full synthetic here. I order the oil and the better filter for my 2010 from kmansparts.com.

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
118 Posts
After one of the guys at a tuning shop in town mentioned that Motorcraft oil shears and loses its original viscosity rating after about 1,500 miles...blah blah blah, I decided to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what the "Best" oil was. Granted, they wanted to sell me the Motul oil they sold so you always have to be skeptical of someone with an agended. Regardless, after a couple of hours of trying to figure out what the best oil was I decided that there was probably no definitive answer so why not go by the SCIENCE of whatever cost more must be the best! Therefore I use Amsoil. 😆😆

Although, if you sign up for their Preferred Customer program it really doesn't cost a whole lot more. Also, on a serious note, by all accounts from customer reviews and other bias and unbiased internet sources, they seem to make a high quality oil and it is one of the few that actually states compliance with the official Ford spec (WSS-M2C931-C).

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,414 Posts
Hey guys,

Amsoil 5/50 also and I run Ford Racing's FL820 filter. It has a better filter media and higher burst pressure than the Motorcraft FL820. The burst pressure is important as my buddy had the Motorcraft FL820 on his Shelby burst, case split right at the roll joint at the base on a cold start once. Burst psi on the Motorcraft is about 250psi. Burst on the Ford Racing is about 500 psi. Have no idea why the Motorcraft filter burst, but it made me switch to the Ford Racing for a little insurance and feel good! He switched also.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,002 Posts
After one of the guys at a tuning shop in town mentioned that Motorcraft oil shears and loses its original viscosity rating after about 1,500 miles...blah blah blah, I decided to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what the "Best" oil was. Granted, they wanted to sell me the Motul oil they sold so you always have to be skeptical of someone with an agended. Regardless, after a couple of hours of trying to figure out what the best oil was I decided that there was probably no definitive answer so why not go by the SCIENCE of whatever cost more must be the best! Therefore I use Amsoil. 😆😆

Although, if you sign up for their Preferred Customer program it really doesn't cost a whole lot more. Also, on a serious note, by all accounts from customer reviews and other bias and unbiased internet sources, they seem to make a high quality oil and it is one of the few that actually states compliance with the official Ford spec (WSS-M2C931-C).

View attachment 202984 View attachment 202985
Amsoil is good stuff... nice to know it meets Ford’s specs. I could be easily persuaded to go the Amsoil route on the 2020.

Reactions: GT5HNDO

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
118 Posts
Amsoil is good stuff... nice to know it meets Ford’s specs. I could be easily persuaded to go the Amsoil route on the 2020.
Yep, they even put it right on the bottle. Hmm...reminds me of a movie...

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,002 Posts
Reactions: GT5HNDO

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 GT500 and I use the Ford recommended 5W-50 Motorcraft full synthetic. Combined with a Ford Racing oil filter that I got from AmericanMuscle. I think its a good combination, no complaints.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also a fan of the AmsOil products. I don't think you can go wrong there. I recently replaced my trans oil with the AmsOil Signature ATF fluid. I also replaced the OEM shifter with anMGW shifter. Both of those changes made a difference and I think it shifts much better now than it did before.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,766 Posts
There's 2 schools of thought on this and it somewhat fascinates me. School 1 is that the manufacturer spends millions developing the car and specifying the perfect parts. School 2 is the manufacturer cuts corners where they can because it only has to last X number of miles to get them through warranty. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and depends on the component. There was an article about Michelin tire development with the manufacturers that was quite impressive, so tires probably fall into School 1. The oil I would guess goes to the cheapest bidder (School 2), so that is why a lot of us run premium oils. There's been a lot of debate over the years, but we do have some data to back it up:

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,417 Posts
Driven Racing Oil FR-50 and Ford Performance FL820.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have herd this argument about oil since I was old enough to drive. But a study by Blackstone Laboratories several years ago researched all the modern oils without preference to manufacturer. and there findings were I Quote "

"Blackstone Laboratories has performed oil analysis on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recently they decided to take all this data and figure out the one question every auto enthusiast wants to know, "Which motor oil is the best?"
The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle."

If it was 50 years ago I would agree with your analysis but today there are only a handful of refineries making oil and hundreds of brands so my thought is you have no idea who filled that bottle brand you have.

There's 2 schools of thought on this and it somewhat fascinates me. School 1 is that the manufacturer spends millions developing the car and specifying the perfect parts. School 2 is the manufacturer cuts corners where they can because it only has to last X number of miles to get them through warranty. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and depends on the component. There was an article about Michelin tire development with the manufacturers that was quite impressive, so tires probably fall into School 1. The oil I would guess goes to the cheapest bidder (School 2), so that is why a lot of us run premium oils. There's been a lot of debate over the years, but we do have some data to back it up:

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,766 Posts
I definitely don't disagree with you Joe, they all do the job, but if you're focused on a specific trait like wear metals or shear, some do different jobs better than others.

Reactions: ihaterice
1 - 20 of 43 Posts