Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not wishing to ask perhaps a stupid question I was trying to find out the real difference between a base 500 gt to a KR , and then to a Super Snake. Outside of obvious hood, what mechanical differences are there?

I am trying to determine since my car ( new to me ) being an 08 was sent to Shelby Performance for alterations that included many upgrades. What truly are the differences between the models. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So prior to delivery, for warranty purposes or so I was told the following alterations were completed.

Full - Ford Racing Suspension, car lowered 1.25" all around ( Shocks, Stabilizer Bars, Springs, Coils All upgraded)
Steeda Traction Bars
Full Ford Racing Exhaust
Upgraded Lower Pulley for Super Charger
Short Throw Ford Racing Shifter
Ford Racing Dash Cluster
Dyno tune

I was trying to determine if it was purely a choice or was there a package chosen?

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,727 Posts
Post some photos (Interior, engine bay, rear suspension, wheels & brakes) and we can help spot the upgrades/changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope those help, the car is in storage however as noted above those options are listed on the work orders and receipts from the shelby performance location who did the work. Also dyno sheet says 630 hp

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,685 Posts
So not wishing to ask perhaps a stupid question I was trying to find out the real difference between a base 500 gt to a KR , and then to a Super Snake. Outside of obvious hood, what mechanical differences are there?

I am trying to determine since my car ( new to me ) being an 08 was sent to Shelby Performance for alterations that included many upgrades. What truly are the differences between the models. Thanks
A Super Snake or a KR will have a CSM plate (Shelby serial #) and be in their registry.

Paging @Ford Fest and @Robert M.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you saying someone cannot build out a car with said upgrades without it hitting the registry - a wolf in sheeps clothing. I can see the super snake runs a coyote engine in the sample link provided, was this always the case?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
From 2007-2014, the Super Snake was a GT500 sent to SAI to have one of several SS packages added, which then included a CSM number and registry. When there was no GT500 from 15-19, SAI decided to use a base Mustang GT for the SS packages.

My guess is that yours was sent to SAI to just have modifications done, but not an official SS package. I do not see a dash plaque between the two middle air vents where it is normally placed nor just above the shifter on the console.

The KR was another special GT500 edition, but not to the power level the SS was done.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Interestingly it looks like your car has a large amount of non-Shelby parts. Without documentation I would doubt the veracity of the previous owner's claims that the modifications were done there at all.

The air intake is identical to the Steeda unit I had on my car minus the Shelby club decal which has been applied to it. To my knowledge Shelby never installed Steeda air intakes on their cars. The KR intake from Ford, as well as just about every other manufactured cold air intake, utilized a plastic heat shield around the actual filter. The metal housing is exclusive to the Steeda intake and the blue silicone couples paired with the Mass Airflow Sensor housing machined from a billet of aluminum are a dead giveaway. See mine below for comparison.

You mention a lower pulley which would typically be referring to an underdrive crank pulley. Obviously the pictures don't show the crank pulley so it's hard to determine what's been installed there. The upper pulley is unique in it's 4 bolt design and the sheer amount of rust it's accumulated. On the picture above you can see my Steeda upper pulley which is made out of aluminum and although it's a 4 bolt design as well it's not going to corrode the way this one has and certainly is of a different design. BDS uses a 5 bolt design, and VMP uses a 6 bolt design or a simple press on design to maintain factory appearance. I honestly can't say what supercharger pulley that is on your car.

The "Steeda traction bars" are actually lower control arms. A common upgrade to reduce wheelhop from the softness of the factory bushings and the flex inherent in the stamped steel units used by Ford.

Judging by the ride height and what appear to be adjustable struts poking through the front strut mounts I think it's absolutely likely that your car has received the Ford Racing handling package that they sold through Ford parts departments and aftermarket dealers. This would have consisted of springs, shocks, and swaybars for the GT500 coupes.

The Ford Racing Exhaust upgrade is most likely just a set of replacement mufflers that clamp on after the axle to replace the factory units. Ford made two designs, one that was round and referred to as the KR exhaust as it was the same mufflers they installed on the GT500KR and another design that that looked more like your typical oval shaped muffler.

Finally the dyno sheet has to be brought into question given the stock supercharger, inlet, throttle body, and relatively small intake in the pictures you shared. My engine, as seen above, was outfitted very similar to your car and made 550whp which is still up 110whp from the factory tested value of 440whp. It's possible that someone decided to do some "math" and attempt to show an engine hp crank rating as 630 would be around the 12-15% loss expected. Or they provided a fake or altered dyno to convince you to purchase. The reason I say this is that in order to make the jump from 550whp to 660whp on my personal car on 93 octane pump gas I had to upgrade to a larger supercharger, throttlebody, intake, and fuel injectors. If true and accurate your car would have to outperform every other GT500 with similar modifications by a massive amount.

At the end of the day I have doubts about many of the claims made to you by the previous owner/dealership where you acquired the car. The good news is that you've found your way to a very knowledgeable community willing to help you determine what you actually have (a seemingly very clean and slightly modified GT500) and help you determine how to safely enjoy it for what it is and what you want to achieve with it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just noticed your car also seems to have a considerably beefier strut tower bar than the rather spindly factory unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellant replies, thank you. I will post the actual docs I have when I get home. It's interesting taking this journey. I have already contacted DeSilva Racing and booked it in for 2 dyno runs to ensure what I have is properly running. I was not looking for high end power, I wanted a super clean car with low km's which is what I found. The rust on the pulley I am pretty sure will clean up easily, but, once DeSilva does the once over I will know a lot more. I suspect the dyno # 's given could be exaggerated but soon enough I will know the real deal, regardless looking forward to finding out more.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Nice.
A few forum members here - myself included - get work done with Joe and Matt DaSilva.

Now, if i recall correctly, there was a Shelby authorized shop in Western Ontario - near-ish Guelph or London. I know someone who had his 08 KR "Supersnaked" and they did it. Cost him a fortune, but it was a legit SS. Perhaps they also sold other performance kits and the prior owner had it done at this shop (sorry, cannot recall the name).

Back in those days, IIRC, the path to a "proper" SuperSnake was starting off with KR, which was not a Ford, but actually a titled Shelby. Only the Shelby GT500KR could get the SuperSnake package to be formally a SuperSnake. Times changed and $$ meant that the rules were probably loosened.

FWIW, DaSilva tuned my car. With an upper pulley change (2.59 Metco), I dynoed 542, which translates approx to 625 chp, as someone noted above. That stock Eaton is no way making 625 whp.

Good luck at DaSilva.

(Side note: A guy that I bought some audio equipment from recently said daughter's boyfriend recently picked up a a blue with white stripes. Hmmm).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting and a small world for sure, a buddy of mine ( Jay ) has a 2010 gt500 as well over two concessions basically, Sean Hyland Motorsports is whom you are speaking of, and yes this is the company that I have all of the paperwork from ( Vin verified) when the work was originally completed. Hey it truly does not matter to me outside of would like to know what I actually bought in the event I go to sell it one day down the road so I can deliver solid detail's and specs at that time. I am sure it will be far more enjoyable then my 1931 Ford AA truck I sold recently or my Corvette C6 which was so low I ended up becoming a regular at the Chiro until I sold the car and have not been back to see since :)
work-order-1.png
Dyno-jet-supposedly.png

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Are you saying someone cannot build out a car with said upgrades without it hitting the registry - a wolf in sheeps clothing. I can see the super snake runs a coyote engine in the sample link provided, was this always the case?

Sean Hyland Motorsport is finally totally defunct leaving behind a lot of scorched earth.

The mods on your car are basic bolts ons. None of them are specific to the Supersnake or the KR.

As for comparing the limited production special GT500s: the KR is sloooow, the Supersnake is FAST!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Looks like you've got some rust in the coolant tank too. I would get that flushed out and some fresh coolant in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all of the input. If I understand correctly then from all submitted, all KR and SS do not use any " bolt on " components? Absolutely everything on these cars are custom and not added on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts