Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a little rusty (this pic isn't my car), it must be made out of bare steel or iron. I'd like to switch it out or take it off and maybe paint it. It's the only thing with rust on the entire car.

What is this thing right below the cylindrical thing with the 90 degree plugs?

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,993 Posts
Looks like the arrow is pointing to the EGR.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep thank you. Is it a pain to remove? Nothing wrong with it but it has surface rust and it's driving me nuts.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,993 Posts
Yep thank you. Is it a pain to remove? Nothing wrong with it but it has surface rust and it's driving me nuts.
Only time I messed with mine was when I installed my Whipple back in 2012… I don’t recall the specifics. Can you brush on some rust converter…? It does get warm though.

Reactions: REMIX

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only time I messed with mine was when I installed my Whipple back in 2012… I don’t recall the specifics. Can you brush on some rust converter…? It does get warm though.
Thank you, Goose. I think it would need to be wire brushed first but probably.

On another note, I have never seen an engine compartment so stuffed. Crazy, zero room, if I were a Ford tech I'd probably call in sick the minute I saw one of these roll in.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,080 Posts
Looking under the hood of the Shelby the first time was like, wow. I was used to what was under the hood of my Mustang. I barely know what half of the stuff in the Shelby is.

• Haha
Reactions: REMIX

·
Registered
'13 GT500
405 Posts
Like Goose said, it's the EGR valve which allows unburned fuel in the exhaust to go back through for a second burn. It does get pretty hot, so I would think your best option would be to paint it with a high-heat paint. If it were me, I'd buy a new one, paint it, and swap it out with the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts