Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will be 450 miles from home when it arrives. My plan is to go pick it up and drive it home. I hope to drive the first 100-150 miles through the mountains which will give me a chance to get to all the RPM ranges. Then I will hit the interstate and hope to run several RPM ranges from 60-80 MPH the rest of the way home.

Any suggestions?
I know this will get a lot of different opinions. However this should be beneficial for those of us who have not had a High Performance car in several years......427 El Camino SS ....a long time ago...Never should have sold it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I personally like your plan, ShelbyTom! As you say, you will get lots of opinions soon enough! I tried to get about 300 miles on mine before I let out the reins a bit. It is hard to control yourself! Varying the rpms has to be a good way for the first hundred or so miles.

I like your plan! Good luck to you! Be safe!

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
My car will be 450 miles from home when it arrives. My plan is to go pick it up and drive it home. I hope to drive the first 100-150 miles through the mountains which will give me a chance to get to all the RPM ranges. Then I will hit the interstate and hope to run several RPM ranges from 60-80 MPH the rest of the way home.

Any suggestions?
I know this will get a lot of different opinions. However this should be beneficial for those of us who have not had a High Performance car in several years......427 El Camino SS ....a long time ago...Never should have sold it.
I was in the same boat....450 away from home. After I put the requisite consecutive miles on it, I shut off the key, turned it on again and took it back to the dealer. They looked it over again and bid me farewell. I kept it below 60 for the first 50 miles. I varied the rpms by switching between 5th and 6th on the interstate on which I was "stuck". I pulled off the interstate and ran about 20 miles making gentle stops to seat the brakes.

From that point on I ran the remaining 350+ miles varying my speed every 15-20 minutes. It was 50/70/80/70/60 etc. The only way to do this and not want to shoot yourself in the head is to use the cruise.

I got a little over 21 mpg on the drive home. Never got it more than 4500 rpms for the first 400 miles (nor more than 1/2 throttle). 400-1000 miles, never more than 5,000rpm. At 1,000 miles I changed the oil and cut 'er loose.

At 2,000 I dyno'd it. 463.9rwhp/451 ft lbs torque. Stock (except for Ford Racing axle back mufflers)

Enjoy the ride.

Hey OldImp...how's trix? I've been on the road. Are you putting any miles on that beast? Having my stripes painted on in the middle of next month.

'07.....are you still burning the midnight oil or are they letting you rest once in a while???

3,000 miles and climbing!!

bj

·
Registered
888 Posts
BJ,
Things are good with me except for rainy weather that has kept me from cruising as much as I would have liked to! I have 1120 or so miles so far! Drove it about 10 miles this evening by taking the long way home from my Mom's house around the block! It is so much fun to drive!
Smitty

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I was in the same boat....450 away from home. After I put the requisite consecutive miles on it, I shut off the key, turned it on again and took it back to the dealer. They looked it over again and bid me farewell. I kept it below 60 for the first 50 miles. I varied the rpms by switching between 5th and 6th on the interstate on which I was "stuck". I pulled off the interstate and ran about 20 miles making gentle stops to seat the brakes.

From that point on I ran the remaining 350+ miles varying my speed every 15-20 minutes. It was 50/70/80/70/60 etc. The only way to do this and not want to shoot yourself in the head is to use the cruise.

I got a little over 21 mpg on the drive home. Never got it more than 4500 rpms for the first 400 miles (nor more than 1/2 throttle). 400-1000 miles, never more than 5,000rpm. At 1,000 miles I changed the oil and cut 'er loose.

At 2,000 I dyno'd it. 463.9rwhp/451 ft lbs torque. Stock (except for Ford Racing axle back mufflers)

Enjoy the ride.

Hey OldImp...how's trix? I've been on the road. Are you putting any miles on that beast? Having my stripes painted on in the middle of next month.

'07.....are you still burning the midnight oil or are they letting you rest once in a while???

3,000 miles and climbing!!

bj
Still burning the candle from both ends.It's 5:20am and getting ready to go to work.I started spot painting last night.It is way to clean and I know where every blemish is.7 blemishes gone,maybe 3 more to go.Looks good though I did a pretty good job.800 miles on my new bitch!.............07.................

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Break in the way you are going to drive it. The first couple hundred miles is the most important to seat the rings. You can do a search on the internet on breaking in a motor (any motor - all the same) The speed is not what is important it is the RPM's. I picked mine up it had 10.1 miles on it after trailering home I drove it up the mountains of West Virginia. For the first 20 miles drove it like a grandma, than started into running the gears up to 3K than 4 thousand, than down shifted to 2nd ran the rpms up to 4K than shifted to 3rd ran it up to 4K and held it for about 10 seconds than took the foot off the gas and let it come back down to about 1500 rpms than down shifted to 2nd and ran the rpms up to 5K than backed off and let it come down to a safe rpm to down shift to 2nd and than back up again to another 4K than went up through the gears (Never touching 5th or 6th) Keep the engine under a load. I did this for about 1 hour as long as I was holding cars up. A few times I would be at 5500 rpms all this before 100 miles on the clock. Never spinning wheels, or standing on the gas just doing things easy but running the engine into all the rpm ranges. Driving on the interstate you can't do this or you will get run over :( I was taught this years ago from a race engine builder and have done it with everything I have owned. Motorcycles etc. Because of that every vehicle I have owned has performed very well. Everyone has heard that "Some cars just run better than others" well most of that is the way it is broke in. NASCAR engines are not driven easy for the first 1000 miles they break them in on a dyno in minutes and than hammer the hell out of the engine for a 500 mile race the next day. Of course they rebuild it every race so that is a little extreme. Bottom line it don't abuse the motor just run the rpm's up in different gears (except 5th 6th) until you have a 100 miles or so on it, keep the motor under a load. I wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
168 Posts
busababy - I'm expecting to get my Shelby this week and have about a 3 hour drive home - more likely 4 to 5 hours if I take the back roads. How many miles do you recommend on the car before you put it into 5th and 6th gear? Thanks for all of your info.

Aldy

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Take the back roads unless your talking about having a hundred stop lights and only getting up to 45 mph, that would suck. If your back roads are like ours and not allot of traffic I would put the first 100 on it never leaving 4th gear. You will see 5th and 6th is not used much with the gears we have. If you ever go to 3.73 than 5th and 6th will be real nice. Anyhow the key is rpms and running it at different rpms, than holding it at a rpm.. for example 3500 or 4000 after about 20 or so miles and holding it only for about 20 seconds or a little less than shift up and run along than road conditions dependent run the next gear up to 3500 and hold for 15 - 20 seconds than if your in 4th don't shift up....take your foot off the gas and let it come down to a speed that is okay for a down shift into third than hold it for 15 seconds and than back to 4th. Do this for as long as you can within reason and not causing someone to rearend you of course. Putting it in 5th or 6th will not hurt anything but the motor is under no load so to do it just to make sure the gears are there is fine but the load is what breaks in the motor. When I did mine my computer told me I was averaging 11.1 mpg. Which is good I was not out to save gas, expect to burn it bring some extra 20's in your wallet, with you and just know it is for the break in. This weekend I finally got 523 miles on it which 500 was my goal.. so once the car cooled down enough I put it on ramps and dumped the oil. Replaced with the exact same weight full syn but used Castrol...wanted mobil but could not find one place that had it in this town. I like mobil as my first pick but nothing wrong with Castrol.. nothing wrong with all brands if truth be known but I have used Castrol and mobil the longest and just feel secure with them. Ford oil is $ 13.00 something a quart (rip off). Anyhow with my 500 miles on it I will now drive the car like it has 10,000 miles on it. During my 500 miles I have seen red line a few times, and 100 mph at least 10 times (I have great roads that are safe to do this on) and on Sunday I went down a straight away and kissed 130mph and it was effortless, almost like the car was laughing asked me if I wanted more... I had plenty of road left for more but 130mph was fine. Anyhow to all out there I am not the authority on breaking in motors this is what I was taught by a engine builder that built race motors for 1/4 mile and for oval track. Information on the internet which was not around when I was 18 has confirmed what he told me back in the 80's. Is this the best way to break in a motor... my opinion yes for performace it is, I have proven time and time again with all my toys. Would Ford tell me that I am doing it right...I doubt it they have to play it safe... would Steeda or Roush racing tell you this is the way... YES call and ask them how motors should get broken it. Now remember all not everyone has the back roads or mountain roads to do this so if you can't you can't it is not going to hurt the car if you drive it on the interstate but power wise the motor done my way will dyno out more than a freeway break in.... is that important ???? well maybe not to all, but to a person that grew up with speed, and lives for it this is a must I want every bit of power I can get from the factory before I start with the tunes / air-intake etc etc.

Remember doing a holeshot, catching gears is not a break in that is abuse, run it up the rpm range... hold it at some rpm ranges and keep your eyes on the road and watch for cars in the rear they might not be paying attention if your on a road that is 55mph and you drop down to 30 in 2nd for 15 seconds before shifting up. Be safe ! And don't take a friend with you for break in you need to pay attention to what your doing... don't be blasting your shaker 1000 or 500 while doing this... listen to everything this is really not a cruise this has a purpose, after the break in than drive it, cruise it, whatever... you only get one time to break it in right... so make it count you will have plenty of times to show it off to the friends :)

Good luck all and keep me posted... if you lived close to me I have the perfect roads. Maybe one day we all will meet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts