Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
125 Posts
it is across every industry and the drought in Taiwan is the main cause of semiconductor shortages. I was at local Ford dealer last week and getting my GT500 service and they had a used transit connect in the lot which stuck out like a sore thumb because there are only about a dozen vehicles on the entire lot.

so I went and looked at it it was a 17 with only 3,500 miles. I looked around and saw there was not another single van anywhere in sight. sales guy said yeah there are businesses that are coming in with cash in hand and they cannot get a new Transit van. I told him that's quite a sales pitch but he said it's true.

so I nabbed that 17 on the spot. I didn't urgently need it right now but I didn't have a backup vehicle and that could be disastrous because the usual models (used) that I buy are overpriced and in short supply.

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
106 Posts
I really wonder what’s gonna become of all of this.. people ordering vehicles having unacceptable wait times.. a few months is one thing… but some of these wait times? Who knows what’s gonna happen in that length of time.. what happens when half the orders get canceled because the person changes their mind decide to purchase something else? They’ll still sell I’m sure. I’m not patient enough to wait to that level.

A small local Ford dealer that mostly caters to the local farmers..every couple of years they’ll go there to get a new truck after they ran the last one into the ground.. they typically keep a dozen and a half to two dozen new half tons on the lot at any given time.. last time I passed by there they had…..5.

Another Ford dealer around here that typically keeps a large selection of trucks looks like a ghost town. I recently went to Ford dealer in the area to buy a new battery and over the intercom someone said they had 12 trucks to unload. Of course it was a joke and the guy said he just wanted to hear what it sounded like again…

Let’s hope that the people that placed their orders for the Boncos aren’t delivered a dud… just to add insult to injury..

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,514 Posts
Mike

i reserved mine July 16, 2020.

I ordered mine when the banks opened up earlier this year.

I was informed mine will not be delivered until ….2023! Complete horseshit.
Yikes! Hard to get too excited when it’s two years out. How does a Range Rover compare in price, features, and availability? I find the Bronco has similar appearances to the RR.

So sorry to hear about the Loooong lead time Sean!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
This article is from 2018. I saw a similar story on 60 minutes. Pay attention to the rare earth section. There could be a tighter squeeze.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Yikes! Hard to get too excited when it’s two years out. How does a Range Rover compare in price, features, and availability? I find the Bronco has similar appearances to the RR.

So sorry to hear about the Loooong lead time Sean!
The delay on mine is because I ordered a “modular top’ that come to find out now doesn’t exist in terms of being ready to manufacture. They are struggling with lower version hardtop now called a mic (molded in color). They haven’t even figured out how to manufacture the modular top aside from the prototype units that were hand made.

the defenders are more expensive but I want a removable top. My wife has pretty much taken over my wrangler from me. May just buy a Raptor while I wait.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
386 Posts
It’s not just Ford, the supply chains for all automakers are still trying to recover. Not only that, globally, everything, and every manufacturer is trying to catch up to demand. I’ve been waiting since February for a specific cabinet moulding to come in to repair my damaged kitchen cabinets and they just showed up last week. I know as Americans we all “want it now” but you’re just gonna have to wait like the rest of the world.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
" domino effect ".......................& it will get worse before it gets better.
Just yesterday the government started throwing more $$$$ at people, some of which don't need more reasons not to work..

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
549 Posts
Glad I have no plans to buy a new vehicle, or house, or lumbar, anytime soon.

Reactions: Ford Fest

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
This article is from 2018. I saw a similar story on 60 minutes. Pay attention to the rare earth section. There could be a tighter squeeze.

Yeah Enviro restrictions closed the last US mine in 2002 and then we became dependent on China. We went from being the leader to producing none, fortunately they have been reopened, but now its playing catch up and we still need China to refine them. Not a good situation.

Reactions: Ford Fest

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
I don't think we'd see this level of supply chain complications had it not been for COVID. I don't believe it was a lack of planning on Ford's part in regards to vehicles coming to market, etc.. Covid hit and then everyone was scrambling just to survive...literally. I do think Ford has done pretty good trying to as quickly as possible get vehicles produced and out the door. My main concern at this point is quality control. Was it maintained, or has it suffered? I guess we shall find out.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,391 Posts
Co-worker told me yesterday he received a phone call from their salesman night before last. His wife’s Bronco is being delivered next week. Oxford White. They did exclude any options that would delay it when they ordered. They ordered as soon as they could last year. He still has his fathers 66 and drives it in every once in a while. Looking forward to seeing them side by side.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
I don't think we'd see this level of supply chain complications had it not been for COVID. I don't believe it was a lack of planning on Ford's part in regards to vehicles coming to market, etc.. Covid hit and then everyone was scrambling just to survive...literally. I do think Ford has done pretty good trying to as quickly as possible get vehicles produced and out the door. My main concern at this point is quality control. Was it maintained, or has it suffered? I guess we shall find out.
The webasto (supplier who is making the tops) has been the biggest debacle and not truly related to Covid supply issues. They lost their previous President and CFO and the new management team is horrible according to reports. culture is in the tank. It is so bad Ford literally has been taking employees from their own plants to help staff the Webasto plant.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The webasto (supplier who is making the tops) has been the biggest debacle and not truly related to Covid supply issues. They lost their previous President and CFO and the new management team is horrible according to reports. culture is in the tank. It is so bad Ford literally has been taking employees from their own plants to help staff the Webasto plant.
Would think Ford could find another supplier. But, if the resins used in the tops are included in the massive shortages due to the plant fire then not much can be done other than wait it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
Ooohfff!!! That doesn’t sound good at all!

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
12 Posts
I was chatting with my salesman friend at my Ford dealership and asking him about the status of my daughter's Bronco that she ordered last January on the day the order bank opened. Still no production date or VIN. Of course the chip issue came up and the overall issues of slow production, summer breaks, and the adverse effects of parts vendors who have been caught with their pants down and are unable to provide parts to Ford in a timely manner. He was a bit frustrated with Ford's obvious moves into the EV field which has most likely taken up a lot of time and money, and their resulting inability to produce the cars/trucks that they already build. I think he has a point. They've overextended themselves. Ford is currently surprisingly overwhelmed with the huge number of customer orders for the new Bronco's and many customers are not going to see their Bronco's produced this year. Then Ford comes out with the new EV Mustang (?) SUV and the expected delays and issues that always accompany a new model. Add to this the new introduction of the Mustang Mach1 which is also new, albeit, borrowing mostly parts from the Mustang GT and GT350. Then the computer chip unavailability comes to fruition and you have a perfect storm! As a result of all these decisions, Ford dealership lots are virtually empty. Even the recent news of Ford receiving some chips for their land locked F-150's, when you crunch the numbers, nationwide, it will not make any appreciable improvement. It does seem like Ford has taken on more than they can chew resulting in their inability to provide customers with their bread-winning F-150 trucks and all the other vehicles they are trying to produce! What do you all think?
What do I think?
I think /know that I’ll be able to drive and enjoy my 8200 mile 2008 Shelby GT500 on a boring old joy ride this weekend; or be able to take my 2004 Ford Ranger to the grocery store to pick up my groceries tomorrow; and if I REALLY get desperate, will have a ride to the lake in my wife’s 2017 Escape.

I get that there are a bunch of you all out there that absolutely have to have the latest and greatest new stuff, available or not, but we “NEVER buy the NEW junk” folks………really appreciate cha!! 😆😆😆
Good luck with that delivery!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Unless one is in manufacturing currently, y'all don't have a clue! :D

@Mctag I'm sure you'll figure something out to scratch the itch.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts