Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was chatting with my salesman friend at my Ford dealership and asking him about the status of my daughter's Bronco that she ordered last January on the day the order bank opened. Still no production date or VIN. Of course the chip issue came up and the overall issues of slow production, summer breaks, and the adverse effects of parts vendors who have been caught with their pants down and are unable to provide parts to Ford in a timely manner. He was a bit frustrated with Ford's obvious moves into the EV field which has most likely taken up a lot of time and money, and their resulting inability to produce the cars/trucks that they already build. I think he has a point. They've overextended themselves. Ford is currently surprisingly overwhelmed with the huge number of customer orders for the new Bronco's and many customers are not going to see their Bronco's produced this year. Then Ford comes out with the new EV Mustang (?) SUV and the expected delays and issues that always accompany a new model. Add to this the new introduction of the Mustang Mach1 which is also new, albeit, borrowing mostly parts from the Mustang GT and GT350. Then the computer chip unavailability comes to fruition and you have a perfect storm! As a result of all these decisions, Ford dealership lots are virtually empty. Even the recent news of Ford receiving some chips for their land locked F-150's, when you crunch the numbers, nationwide, it will not make any appreciable improvement. It does seem like Ford has taken on more than they can chew resulting in their inability to provide customers with their bread-winning F-150 trucks and all the other vehicles they are trying to produce! What do you all think?

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
400 Posts
Did your daughter order the hard top for the bronco? That has been the biggest issue for the new Bronco, resin issues are worse than chip shortages.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
I think it is somewhat of a Perfect Storm for them. As far as vehicle introductions and missing the mark on demand, these vehicles were planned for intro most likely starting 5-6 years ago and Ford has just gotten caught in the unpredictability of what has happened worldwide in the last year and half. IMO

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
921 Posts
It's definitely a balancing act..... I remember reading something about Ford making sure the launches of the new vehicles go well, even to the detriment of the other lines.
IMO - the refocusing of the company on trucks only should prioritize the best selling lines of those trucks at least somewhat.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,603 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
195 Posts
My local Toyota dealer has not had any Tacomas or Tundras for a long time. I think the problem is everywhere.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did your daughter order the hard top for the bronco? That has been the biggest issue for the new Bronco, resin issues are worse than chip shortages.
Yes, she ordered the hard top with all the trimmings. And yes, I forgot. The vendor who produces the hard tops is WAY behind schedule and therefore these hard top optioned vehicles go to the end of the line. He thinks she'll be lucky to get it by October. At least she's not champing at the bit. I'd be of a different mind set as many of you know! LOL!

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,070 Posts
As I go by my Ford dealership occasionally, I notice there are fewer and fewer new vehicles on the lot (Bob Allen Ford). The other two Ford dealerships in Johnson Country, KS, are similarly without new cars on the lot. This agenda of trying to shift everything to an all-EV world is hurting Ford. There are so many customers willing to pay for the new Bronco, new F-150, Mustangs, etc., and Ford cannot supply them. I understand Ford wanting to cow-tow to the current administration and its insistence of moving swiftly towards all EV vehicles, but it is going to hurt Ford and Ford will lose longtime customers. The globalist push towards EV is now a big problem. Like everything else in the past year, it has become so political.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
549 Posts
Doesn't seem to be hurting Toyota much, the dealer across the street has had a full lot consistently. The Ford dealer is across town and I haven't been by there since spring.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As we all know, many of these automobile manufacturers in the USA are dependent of foreign or foreign owned vendor's for very critical parts for their vehicles. Of course the reason is saving money. Maybe Ford and others need to re-think this predicate of being at the mercy of foreign owned vendors/suppliers and produce the parts themselves. In the long run, that might pay off. It's obviously a multi-faceted problem and these companies are all about the bottom line, of late. I don't think Henry Ford would appreciate being at the mercy of suppliers, but the current leadership doesn't seem to care.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,603 Posts
No doubt the domestic manufacturer's dropped the ball on this critical supply chain item. My dealer's lot is sparce. They told me it is going to stay that way because every truck that comes in is already pre-sold.

They're also getting MSRP on F-150s.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,070 Posts
As we all know, many of these automobile manufacturers in the USA are dependent of foreign or foreign owned vendor's for very critical parts for their vehicles. Of course the reason is saving money. Maybe Ford and others need to re-think this predicate of being at the mercy of foreign owned vendors/suppliers and produce the parts themselves. In the long run, that might pay off. It's obviously a multi-faceted problem and these companies are all about the bottom line, of late. I don't think Henry Ford would appreciate being at the mercy of suppliers, but the current leadership doesn't seem to care.
...and this isn't a new problem. I remember, specifically, when my company at the time, Puritan-Bennett, was bought out and reorganized. Many of the in-house manufacturing processes were sent to Mexico and China. This was back in the early 90s. I remember talking to my wife about this being a terrible trend for American manufacturing companies in the long run. She even mentioned that one day, if our businesses didn't stop doing this, China would have our country bent over a barrel. Turns out, she was correct. After a year or so, they outsourced our entire marketing department, along with all the IT. Why the heck even exist as a corporate entity?????

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
921 Posts
...and this isn't a new problem. I remember, specifically, when my company at the time, Puritan-Bennett, was bought out and reorganized. Many of the in-house manufacturing processes were sent to Mexico and China. This was back in the early 90s. I remember talking to my wife about this being a terrible trend for American manufacturing companies in the long run. She even mentioned that one day, if our businesses didn't stop doing this, China would have our country bent over a barrel. Turns out, she was correct. After a year or so, they outsourced our entire marketing department, along with all the IT. Why the heck even exist as a corporate entity?????
I'm IT --- and we are currently going through the outsourcing to India...... painful is mild.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,070 Posts
I'm IT --- and we are currently going through the outsourcing to India...... painful is mild.
Sorry that it is happening, and appears to be happening again. One would've thought corporations had learned that it is better to have knowledgeable IT and customer service onsite. Knowing the particulars of a company has to have some value, as opposed to having folks who know nothing of the company, cannot answer questions if the answers aren't on a scripted answer sheet. Or even be understood by the customers calling for help. Customers and their satisfaction must not be all that valuable anymore. When I look at it from a distance, I suppose I am a part of the problem. As an investor, we expect to get some kind of return on that investment. Bottom line is bottom line. But longterm, it hurts the country.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
My local Ford dealer has a full lot of new cars but they aren’t a volume dealer. My local Chevy looks like an abandoned building, they have maybe a dozen cars on the property.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,875 Posts
Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Doesn't seem to be hurting Toyota much, the dealer across the street has had a full lot consistently. The Ford dealer is across town and I haven't been by there since spring.
That’s odd as our Toyota dealers have only handful of new cars at best. This is impacting all automotive brands.
The crazy part is we hear that the semi conductor shortage is due to a fire at the largest producer of these components. A fire is also to blame at one of the US top resin producers. Both are causing havoc in the supply chain.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
Got an e-mail from my dealership, 07/12/2021, to come look @ the 1st one they've gotten in. Not sure when the owner ordered it, or when it arrived..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
I think it is somewhat of a Perfect Storm for them. As far as vehicle introductions and missing the mark on demand, these vehicles were planned for intro most likely starting 5-6 years ago and Ford has just gotten caught in the unpredictability of what has happened worldwide in the last year and half. IMO
No different than trying to order a boat, outboard motor or an appliance.
Good points!

Supply chains everywhere are disrupted. I cannot currently order most of the martial arts equipment I normally do for my students. It’s not a fair assessment to lay blame on the Mach E or Mach 1 for Broncos not reaching customers in a timely fashion. As 5.8 Venom pointed out, the processes for these vehicles coming to market started long ago. Sure, you could counter with the fact that there are only so many chips to go around right now and some of these chips are going into the new Mustangs vs. the Broncos. Imagine if Ford decided to only produce the Bronco this year. There would be a lot of unhappy customers from Ford’s other offerings.

We are in an extremely challenging period for manufacturers right now. I bet Ford is paddling like a duck to work through the issues. I applaud them for bringing a wide variety of amazing vehicles to the market despite the current challenges.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts