Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thinkerg: :thinkerg: :thinkerg: I have a 2009 gt500.I wanted to send it of and have it made into a super snake but i couldn't afford the package.So i decided to do a little upgrading on my own and retain the factory waranty.My question is should i go with the supercharger upgrade,short throw shifter,and the F3 handling pack?I found a dealership here in southcarolina that said that they would supply parts and labor at a out the door price of 7,950.00$.What should I do?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
for one thing..don't get over zealous...
ask the dealer for an itemized estimate cost of parts and labor. Then check the many various vendors for the same parts and compare pricing. Odds are you may find some of them cheaper. If so, buy them, and supply them to the dealer for install, or another performance shop that is reputable in your area. Do RESEARCH before you spend. Take your time. I'm sure you have some sort of local mustang club in the area or neighboring city.. Talk to them...you'll find them very resourceful as they are most likey very knowlegable in performance shops, vendors, etc.

·
Registered
938 Posts
:thinkerg: :thinkerg: :thinkerg: I have a 2009 gt500.I wanted to send it of and have it made into a super snake but i couldn't afford the package.So i decided to do a little upgrading on my own and retain the factory waranty.My question is should i go with the supercharger upgrade,short throw shifter,and the F3 handling pack?I found a dealership here in southcarolina that said that they would supply parts and labor at a out the door price of 7,950.00$.What should I do?
Not to be nosey but what are you able to spend? and what do you want to do to the car with your budget?

·
Registered
662 Posts
for one thing..don't get over zealous...
ask the dealer for an itemized estimate cost of parts and labor. Then check the many various vendors for the same parts and compare pricing. Odds are you may find some of them cheaper. If so, buy them, and supply them to the dealer for install, or another performance shop that is reputable in your area. Do RESEARCH before you spend. Take your time. I'm sure you have some sort of local mustang club in the area or neighboring city.. Talk to them...you'll find them very resourceful as they are most likey very knowlegable in performance shops, vendors, etc.
+1...I think it's fun to do a little at a time.:zlurking:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be nosey but what are you able to spend? and what do you want to do to the car with your budget?
at first i only wanted to spend about 3 grand.but now i think it is going to cost a bit more becouse now i want the supercharger upgrade,f3 handling,and short throw shifter.I am probley going to wait to change my exhaust until the kr muffler system comes out.is it possible to find the supercharger upgrade kit for under 4 grand?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You really need to decide how important your warranty is.

If you really need your warranty, then heavy modding isn't going to be a possibility at all for you. That's just the way it is. While we can get the Magnusson-Moss act to stand behind us, it is very difficult to actually face the service managers with that, because in some cases they will make up any excuse not to cover your work.

Now if limited modding sounds appealing, you can for with the FRPP stuff installed at your dealer. You'll pay more in every way over modding through one of our vendors... but depending on how far you go with the mods, you will retain your warranty.

I tend to void my warranty pretty quickly on any car. On my Shelby I was really up in the air because I knew I would have some issues to contend with (such as the tranny TSB) and I needed my warranty to cover those things. *Luckily the tranny TSB still applied to slightly modded cars*

I wanted higher quality, and more performance than the FRPP parts offered, so I ordered up a Stage 1 kit from Evolution. By the time it arrived I had talked myself into a Stage 2, so I completed that set with another phone call and order. But I did think about it long and hard. Once I threw a tune on there and swapped out the pulleys.... I knew that any major issues with the engine would likely not be covered by any of my local dealers.

After all my issues had been taken care of (replaced rear end, tranny TSB, and a few other small things) I started my car up last week to hear a HORRIBLE squealing sound under the hood. I took it in to the dealer and what did they do... blamed it on my pulley tensioner installed as part of my Stage 2.

After going around a few times about it, they finally conceded and replaced all of my belts and eliminated the sound for me... under warranty. But gave me the warning that this was a one-time only occurrence, and any future belt issues would come out of my pocket.

So some can be more fair than others. Many will refuse to touch the car once they know you re-tuned it, or did anything more invasive than that. Some don't care at all if the motor hasn't been opened up.

But if you want to get more than a 100rwhp increase... you're pretty much gonna be voiding your warranty.

I am looking seriously at that new Hellion twin-turbo system to get me around 800-900rwhp and then I might finally be happy. But until then, I'll be stepping it up one stage at a time. This Spring... I am certainly going Stage 3. Without a doubt. Stage 2 has been sooooo much fun, and now I crave more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really need to decide how important your warranty is.

If you really need your warranty, then heavy modding isn't going to be a possibility at all for you. That's just the way it is. While we can get the Magnusson-Moss act to stand behind us, it is very difficult to actually face the service managers with that, because in some cases they will make up any excuse not to cover your work.

Now if limited modding sounds appealing, you can for with the FRPP stuff installed at your dealer. You'll pay more in every way over modding through one of our vendors... but depending on how far you go with the mods, you will retain your warranty.

I tend to void my warranty pretty quickly on any car. On my Shelby I was really up in the air because I knew I would have some issues to contend with (such as the tranny TSB) and I needed my warranty to cover those things. *Luckily the tranny TSB still applied to slightly modded cars*

I wanted higher quality, and more performance than the FRPP parts offered, so I ordered up a Stage 1 kit from Evolution. By the time it arrived I had talked myself into a Stage 2, so I completed that set with another phone call and order. But I did think about it long and hard. Once I threw a tune on there and swapped out the pulleys.... I knew that any major issues with the engine would likely not be covered by any of my local dealers.

After all my issues had been taken care of (replaced rear end, tranny TSB, and a few other small things) I started my car up last week to hear a HORRIBLE squealing sound under the hood. I took it in to the dealer and what did they do... blamed it on my pulley tensioner installed as part of my Stage 2.

After going around a few times about it, they finally conceded and replaced all of my belts and eliminated the sound for me... under warranty. But gave me the warning that this was a one-time only occurrence, and any future belt issues would come out of my pocket.

So some can be more fair than others. Many will refuse to touch the car once they know you re-tuned it, or did anything more invasive than that. Some don't care at all if the motor hasn't been opened up.

But if you want to get more than a 100rwhp increase... you're pretty much gonna be voiding your warranty.

I am looking seriously at that new Hellion twin-turbo system to get me around 800-900rwhp and then I might finally be happy. But until then, I'll be stepping it up one stage at a time. This Spring... I am certainly going Stage 3. Without a doubt. Stage 2 has been sooooo much fun, and now I crave more.
I am looking to be pushing around 625 to 650hp.I don,t think i need much more power than that.your talking about 800-900rwhp thats insane:blowingup: I would love to see you run!! by the way do these cars realy have 500rwhp from the factory?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I checked out their website - VERY limted info.

What do you know about it other than the very limited website info?

TD

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your really looking to push around 625RWHP to 650RWHP and it has to be right now then go for the TVS supercharger.. To be honest you can pick up a TVS on E-bay or contact David huff (Member) he is usually selling one at a very reasonable price.. And if you are familiar with tools installing it yourself is a snap. I originally installed my TVS in about 3-1/2 hours with the help of guys on here. The second time I did it in 1-1/2 hours.. There is really nothing to it and it comes with very detailed instructions.. Not a hard thing to do.. I ended up taking mine off and going with the badboy Whipple 3.4 but honestly if your looking to get 625-650RWHP go with the TVS. If you can stay with 565-575 RWPH you can go Stage I or II (Evolution or contact Justing @ VMP tuning) and to answer the question of if these cars come with 500RWHP the answer is no.. Realistically they are pushing anywhere from 430 to as high as 470 RWHP that all is based on right air temps, outside temps, altitude etc.. As Milez mentioned don't get overzealous ask for a detailed bill with parts and labor.. As far as the FRPP lowering kit it is a must... and as far as exhaust also a must IMHO.. you can always upgrade HP with Stage kits I,II,III,IV,V like I mentioned from Evo/VMP just to name a couple. But in the end remember that the stock supercharger will only take so much without getting heat soaked.. I opted to go the BIG Whipple 3.4 because I am looking at pushing into the high 700's but that is me... Hope that helps some...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your really looking to push around 625RWHP to 650RWHP and it has to be right now then go for the TVS supercharger.. To be honest you can pick up a TVS on E-bay or contact David huff (Member) he is usually selling one at a very reasonable price.. And if you are familiar with tools installing it yourself is a snap. I originally installed my TVS in about 3-1/2 hours with the help of guys on here. The second time I did it in 1-1/2 hours.. There is really nothing to it and it comes with very detailed instructions.. Not a hard thing to do.. I ended up taking mine off and going with the badboy Whipple 3.4 but honestly if your looking to get 625-650RWHP go with the TVS. If you can stay with 565-575 RWPH you can go Stage I or II (Evolution or contact Justing @ VMP tuning) and to answer the question of if these cars come with 500RWHP the answer is no.. Realistically they are pushing anywhere from 430 to as high as 470 RWHP that all is based on right air temps, outside temps, altitude etc.. As Milez mentioned don't get overzealous ask for a detailed bill with parts and labor.. As far as the FRPP lowering kit it is a must... and as far as exhaust also a must IMHO.. you can always upgrade HP with Stage kits I,II,III,IV,V like I mentioned from Evo/VMP just to name a couple. But in the end remember that the stock supercharger will only take so much without getting heat soaked.. I opted to go the BIG Whipple 3.4 because I am looking at pushing into the high 700's but that is me... Hope that helps some...
why do ford advertise the car to push 500hp?Is the tvs superchrger made by ford racing and what should i pay for one?

·
Registered
938 Posts
What do you want out of your suspension? Are you looking for coil overs or just lowering springs?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
why do ford advertise the car to push 500hp?Is the tvs superchrger made by ford racing and what should i pay for one?
to answer your first question...its called "marketing". Secondly, yes, ford racing makes the tvs. It's a different design from the stock one, hence more power. Price varies. As mentioned by Lee, RESEARCH. Everything he told you is spot on. There are even members here and on other forums selling their TVS applications, and are usually good deals. Again....RESEARCH!

Evolution.com
VMPtuning.com
fordracingperformanceparts.com
ebay

Shop, compare then get what suits your budget. Pricing varies on both (the SC alone), or in a complete kit format, which in most cases is the SC, CAI, tune. Most of the hundreds of questions you may have bouncing around in your head can easily by answered by RESEARCH, both on the vendors sites, and the hundreds of threads posted here. We've all pretty much been through it.
Don't mean to sound brash, but it seems your very anxious to get moving on this as fast as possible. I'd advise..take your time, research, then decide, then buy. Bottom line, if you want fast and want it now for that HP range, as Lee said, TVS stage 2 kit from either Evolution or VMP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
why do ford advertise the car to push 500hp?

I've never seen any of the Big3 advertise *wheel* HP numbers anytime within recent history. All advertised HP numbers are pretty much universally SAE crank hp. Plus or Minus a few for statistical variation. You know, Monday morning.. or Friday afternoon cars. lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
500HP is to the crank.. You then subtract around 10-15% for drivetrain loss.. So that's why they can get away with saying it is 500HP it truly is 500HP just not to the rear wheels... and the rear wheels is where it counts.. The TVS is made by Roush for Ford.. You can pay as high as $5000 to as low as $3000 depends who you get it from.. See if you can contact David Huff he is a member here and is regularly selling these for a great price..If not look on Ebay as there are a couple of guys selling them there also. If I was you I would look into purchasing just the TVS maybe with the FRPP CAI (cold air intake).. Skip the Ford tuner and get a SCT X2 or X3 then you will be making the RWHP that you are looking for.. Also once you get the TVS add a VMP tuning 2.6" upper pulley which looks identical to the stock pulley (dealer won't even notice) and will give you around 4 more Pounds of boost.. You can trick out the TVS and there are guys running a 2.6" upper pulley and a 10% lower pulley pulling 700RWHP but then remember you are maxing out the TVS ... Heat soak is the killer on those units because of there size. Just remember as you upgrade your supercharger think about the other things you will need once you get to that level of RWHP.. Fuel injectors (but at 650 you stock can handle it.. I would still upgrade to the 72# but that's just me) 1-PC driveshaft and safety loop is a must.. Boost a pump.. Even though some say that the stock pumps can handle up to I think 650 I would still upgrade and get a boost a pump. The Kenne Bell are pretty popular. Hope that helps some..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
500HP is to the crank.. You then subtract around 10-15% for drivetrain loss.. So that's why they can get away with saying it is 500HP it truly is 500HP just not to the rear wheels... and the rear wheels is where it counts.. The TVS is made by Roush for Ford.. You can pay as high as $5000 to as low as $3000 depends who you get it from.. See if you can contact David Huff he is a member here and is regularly selling these for a great price..If not look on Ebay as there are a couple of guys selling them there also. If I was you I would look into purchasing just the TVS maybe with the FRPP CAI (cold air intake).. Skip the Ford tuner and get a SCT X2 or X3 then you will be making the RWHP that you are looking for.. Also once you get the TVS add a VMP tuning 2.6" upper pulley which looks identical to the stock pulley (dealer won't even notice) and will give you around 4 more Pounds of boost.. You can trick out the TVS and there are guys running a 2.6" upper pulley and a 10% lower pulley pulling 700RWHP but then remember you are maxing out the TVS ... Heat soak is the killer on those units because of there size. Just remember as you upgrade your supercharger think about the other things you will need once you get to that level of RWHP.. Fuel injectors (but at 650 you stock can handle it.. I would still upgrade to the 72# but that's just me) 1-PC driveshaft and safety loop is a must.. Boost a pump.. Even though some say that the stock pumps can handle up to I think 650 I would still upgrade and get a boost a pump. The Kenne Bell are pretty popular. Hope that helps some..
Correct..my mistake

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am looking to be pushing around 625 to 650hp.I don,t think i need much more power than that.your talking about 800-900rwhp thats insane:blowingup: I would love to see you run!! by the way do these cars realy have 500rwhp from the factory?
Go with either of these options:

Evo Stage 3 with a 100 shot of nitrous

Evo Stage 3 with Ford GT cams, custom tune, full exhaust

TVS Stage 2 or better

I checked out their website - VERY limted info.

What do you know about it other than the very limited website info?

TD
I know, but Jared at Lethal just announced that he will be carrying them. He'll have all the info you need.

The more I look, the more I want. I know a guy running a Hellion on his 03 Cobra and he loves it. They have a strong rep with the Terminator crowd.

I thought there was closer to a 20% loss from flywheel to Rearwheels...
In an automatic transmission, yes. On a manual, you're looking at 10-12% loss.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bigtrap... Look a couple of Topic's down.. Arky51 is selling his TVS w/Stage 3 which will put you exactly where you want... and I am sure he would be willing to work with you to sell it for a good price.. Just a heads up..!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts